C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Battery/Alternator Problem, Warrenty Question - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13' M350 BlueTEC
Battery/Alternator Problem, Warrenty Question - Help

Hi guys,

I have a 2003 C230K Sedan. I have a extended warrenty that covers me to 100,000 miles or expire 2008, whichever comes first. Today while driving the Battery/Alternator Visit Workshop red light came on. So I took it straight to my MB dealer. I told them this light comes on and I hear a rattling sound, I have had no problems with the car shutting off or anything powering off. I asked them if this should be covered in the extended warrenty. The Service Rep explained to me that if it is battery it is not, but if it is the alternator then it probably is. He told me the way the extended warrenty works is that is that they submit a report to MB USA based on there Diagnosis and that if MBUSA decides to cover this, then I do not get charged. Is this true? I mean with the regular warrenty (50,000 / 4 years) they were willing to cover everything and now I maybe charged for a $180 diagnosis fee and then find out if the repair is covered under warrenty. Something does not seem to be right. Please let me know if I am being taken for a ride.

James
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Find an idependent shop that has a Micronics battery tester. Test the battery and get the print out from the tester. If it says the battery is good, take the slip to the dealer and tell them you did the diagnosis, now fix the culprit.

The battery in your car might be near the end of its life if it is the original. You can save some money and time. Call roadside, tell them the battery is flat. They will come to you and replace it for free, and reset the computers, and only charge for the battery, about $ 120. If you go to the dealer, they will often markup the battery from list, and charge for installation.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:35 PM

13' M350 BlueTEC
Thanks for the tip. It turned out to be the Alternator. At first they told me that it was the voltage regulator (Is that part of the alternator?). I found that weird since I heard a grinding sound. When I picked up the car and read the report it said that the mechanic went for a drive this morning (for a cold start) and heard a grinding sound, checked the alternator bearings and saw they were bad. So replaced my alternator. All covered under warrenty.

How long should a battery last on a C230?

late
Old 11-10-2006, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The voltage regulator is integrated into the case of the alternator, and in some cases can be replaced, but the alternator is usually replaced as an assembly these days.

Battries are nervous little electro-chemical devices that have a wide range of lifespans. Four to five years seems normal in SoCal for most SLI (starting, lighting, and ignition) battries.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 PM

13' M350 BlueTEC
You know, one thing I have noticed is that my 2003 C230K sedan accelerates alot better now. I think my car has had a bad alternator for the past 3 years. It is absolutly amazing the differance in pick up my car has.