C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Nitrogen in tires - Good or Bad??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 SS
Question Nitrogen in tires - Good or Bad??

I just got my new rims 18'' inch rims put on around 2 weeks ago and the shop where I had them mounted mentioned that I should really get Nitrogen in my tires...

They said that with nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures.

First off Luke from tirerack (which was a great help by the way) reccommended I put 35psi in front and 32psi in rear. Does that seem right?

Secondly, has anybody put Nitrogen in their tires?
If so what has your experience been like. Are all the claims above true?!

I guess you also don't have to check tire pressure for 3 to 6 months with nitrogen...what I was told is that I just take the car back to the shop every 3 to 6 months for them to put more nitrogen in or something like that...

I know it is like $8 per tire so I was just wondering if it is worth the $$??

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 AM

2001 c240
i think that if you check your tires regularly, then regular air will be fine. Nitrogen just keeps your pressure at the set psi for a longer time (i think...).
Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
RES

2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
We have used it on aircraft tires for years. It does not react to temperture and helps increase the tire life because it has less moisture and its more stable with the chemical make up of todays rubber compounds. Incase of an accident it does not support combustion. It does not make it so you don't have to check your pressure but every six months, thats bull. If you have a leak or the tire just looses pressure over time you should still check it. And if you have to pay like $8 forget it. Cosco uses it for free, and will adjust and check tire pressure for free. I believe they have a nitrogen generator like we use at work so they don't have to pay for the cyclinders. I think for a company it helps reduce warranty issues. The contamination (moisture and poor compressor,oils,particles,etc) that can get into a tire can contribute to cord seperations if given time and the heat that is built up. If you use a good compressor and check your tires regularly and your car doesn't sit for years you should be fine without it. If you go on the track or your car sits for long periods of time then you might think about it.<-----My two cents

Last edited by RES; 11-14-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
My dad's friend is the service manager at a Cadillac/Hummer dealership. They are looking into getting a nitrogen machine because supposdly it also helps somehow keep the rims in better shape and prevents corrosion. This I think though is more of a concern here on the east coast with all the bad weather we get.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by MCONDE01
They said that with nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures
Not quite, but almost snake oil. You get the same realized benefits from proper air inflated tires. Nitrogen inlfated tires are supposed to loose less pressure over time because Nitrogen is more dense. Also, Nitrogen won't react with the rubber....but have you ever heard of tires rotting from the inside out before wearing out or cracking on the outside? No harm in using it but definitely not worth paying for.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I had tires put on the C230K in April - from Costco.The tires come with free lifetime nitrogen fill.When I had them rotated ( Aug. ) they were within a 1/2 pound of spec.I would recommend it.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I got the Costco/Nitrogen tire setup about 2 years ago and have had no problems whatsoever. I could not tell you if I feel any benfits because it's in my wife's minivan. Tires are hold up well though.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by MCONDE01
I just got my new rims 18'' inch rims put on around 2 weeks ago and the shop where I had them mounted mentioned that I should really get Nitrogen in my tires...

They said that with nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures.

First off Luke from tirerack (which was a great help by the way) reccommended I put 35psi in front and 32psi in rear. Does that seem right?

Secondly, has anybody put Nitrogen in their tires?
If so what has your experience been like. Are all the claims above true?!

I guess you also don't have to check tire pressure for 3 to 6 months with nitrogen...what I was told is that I just take the car back to the shop every 3 to 6 months for them to put more nitrogen in or something like that...

I know it is like $8 per tire so I was just wondering if it is worth the $$??

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
$8 per tire
I won't even bother waste my money on that
Old 11-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
I got good ole oxygen in my tires & the feel just fine.
This is the first I'm hearing of Nitrogen in tires. Why not go a step further & use hydrogen to make them lighter - just a silly thought!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are filled with local smog, if it's good enough to breath then it's good enough to be in my tires. Actually I would imagine that helium would be best, it would make the tires light and float over bumps and if you get bored you can inhale it from the valve and make funny voices.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Helium? It is such a small atom, that it would sneak out through the tire and rim rather quickly.

Nitrogen is the way to go. Tires last longer, wheels don't corrode, inflation remains constant, handling is better being more predictible when hot, mileage goes up, and the spiffy green valve caps will make the envy of the Al Gore delagation to the next earth day festival.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Actually...Costco uses Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas). It's cheaper than pure nitrogen and it keeps their employees happy. The tire guys are so high, they don't even realize they're only getting paid $7.00 an hour.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Originally Posted by Rick
Actually...Costco uses Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas). It's cheaper than pure nitrogen and it keeps their employees happy. The tire guys are so high, they don't even realize they're only getting paid $7.00 an hour.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:12 AM

2005 C230 SS
Wow!...After the beat down Nitrogen just took I guess my answer is:

I don't need no stinkin nitrogen!

Thanks for the feedback everyone...I am just going to keep checking my tire pressure once a month and take it from there.