C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MAF sensor replaced TWICE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
´01 C240 Avantgarde
Thumbs down MAF sensor replaced TWICE?

Hi guys, I am really dissapointed right now, I´ve just been told by the dealer(after 2 weeks of waiting and wondering) that my '01 C240 Auto needs to have replaced the MAF for the second time now... The first time it was replaced about 2.5 years ago with 30k mi. on the odometer, now it has 20k mi. more for a total of about 50k mi. Is this normal? Could this be possible? I am really losing my confidence in the dealer's diagnose. I have done nothing but dealer services and dealer parts installed by them, so I am very angry.

The MAF is about $500 + diagnose + installation.

They have already replaced the gas pedal (which is electronic) and gave it back to me last week, and when driving home I noticed the same symptom and took it back right away. They tested it with me and said I had to leave it again. Now htey call me and tell me about the MAF. In total it will be $1,000.

I am planning on taking back the gas pedal because when I tested it it was no different fron when I took it htere for the first time.

What happens is that the engine looses power when floored, and being an auto trans with many miles driven on highway everyday I cant pass or feel safe when crossing a city street.

What should I do? There is no other MB dealer in the whole country.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:30 PM

2003 c230k
scam... bring it to people who troubleshoot all cars and do it well. sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Heavy throttle and power cuts. I had a vac leak that was REALLY bad in my MX-3 that acted like that. When it is slight it will cause a bouncing at idle like an aftermarket Cam has been installed. you can spray some carb cleaner in select locations and listen for the idle to rise to test it.

the theory:
vac leak means it is sucking air in from another location so when you spray something in that area(where a crack might be) it will suck in the "gas,fuel... or combustable substance" the idle will rise. and that is how you trouble shoot it YOURSELF.

do that /\ or pay the dealer

Ps. the dealer replaced my cluster and it ended up it was a wiring problem... they jump to conclusions far to quickly at the owners cost.

ex. "weird sound from the exhaust? dont replace the muffler first... lets swap the engine!!!! " said the dealer.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:22 PM

´01 C240 Avantgarde
Totally agree, but wouldn't expect it from MB, you pay for trained personeel.

I really don't want to pay the dealer, but the car is at their shop right now.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha. Usually what happens is the MAF sensor wire gets dirty so the MAF gives the ECU wrong info and tell it to make the engine too lean or rich and the O2 sensors contradict the MAF and you get an error like a P0170 or P0171. The easy thing to do is swap the MAF, takes 10 minutes, dealer charges you about $650-800 and profits half, not to shabby. The smart thing to do is just clean the MAF wire using CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner, 10 minutes, $6 later you are as good as new. You barely even get dirty doing it as it's on top of the motor.

But you have a situation that's causing the MAF to get dirty sooner than normal so you have to see what is causing it. Dirt getting by the airfilter is one suspect and if you use aftermarket airfilters, shame on you, go back to stock. Also it could be a leak in the filter box (filter not sitting flush). While this may seem trivial in the days of carburators, it's very critical that you have a good seal and good filter on your car. The next culprit is there's a check valve that goes bad that has to do with crankcase ventilation. If it gets clogged it can mess up the MAF wire.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Haha. Usually what happens is the MAF sensor wire gets dirty so the MAF gives the ECU wrong info and tell it to make the engine too lean or rich and the O2 sensors contradict the MAF and you get an error like a P0170 or P0171. The easy thing to do is swap the MAF, takes 10 minutes, dealer charges you about $650-800 and profits half, not to shabby. The smart thing to do is just clean the MAF wire using CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner, 10 minutes, $6 later you are as good as new. You barely even get dirty doing it as it's on top of the motor.

But you have a situation that's causing the MAF to get dirty sooner than normal so you have to see what is causing it. Dirt getting by the airfilter is one suspect and if you use aftermarket airfilters, shame on you, go back to stock. Also it could be a leak in the filter box (filter not sitting flush). While this may seem trivial in the days of carburators, it's very critical that you have a good seal and good filter on your car. The next culprit is there's a check valve that goes bad that has to do with crankcase ventilation. If it gets clogged it can mess up the MAF wire.

maybe a long time unclean filter might have gotten the problem.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned

try cleaning the MAF by soaking it in Green cleaner and then in alcohol, allow it to dry and re install.. Fixed my engine light problem that the dealer wanted 1200 bucks to fix.. Again Mercedes-Benz of Tampa strikes again! Such scam artists I swear.