C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Quick question about sunroof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
Quick question about sunroof?

Does the sunroof on the 2002 coupes have a one touch close feature?If not, can it be done?
Old 09-10-2002, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
no. They have a 2 touch open feature but you have to hold the button for it to close.
Pretty much sucks.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:41 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor coupe, white
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
no. They have a 2 touch open feature but you have to hold the button for it to close.
Pretty much sucks.
mine used to open with two clicks, but after i took it in for service it opens like 2 inches with each click, so when i open my roof i have to basically sit there and click that button for a while, as for closing i have to hold it all the way as well
Old 09-11-2002, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Re: Quick question about sunroof?

Originally posted by c230_2k2
Does the sunroof on the 2002 coupes have a one touch close feature?If not, can it be done?
one would think it can be done, as the sedans have one-touch close. it's probably a software issue though.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:07 AM

2002 C230K
or rather a button issue, seeing as how there needs to be another contact in front to activate one touch close, otherwise you wouldn't have a gradual close.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by dswildfire
or rather a button issue, seeing as how there needs to be another contact in front to activate one touch close, otherwise you wouldn't have a gradual close.
not exactly a mod i want to attempt, however.

holding my hand up there for 5 seconds is not too bad.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by *Vy Vy*
mine used to open with two clicks, but after i took it in for service it opens like 2 inches with each click, so when i open my roof i have to basically sit there and click that button for a while, as for closing i have to hold it all the way as well
You can re-synchronize it by pressing the button to open it all the way and holding it in this position for 2-3 more seconds after the roof is fully open. Then do the same to close the roof. Next time you start the car, it should work fine, just like it used to. This has to be done every time after the battery is disconnected.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i think the 2 touch fully open isn't so bad. but i also wish it had 1 touch close. the problem is, i don't think there is a sensor or any sort so that it doesn't pinch anything that may be in the way (i think timmy tested that w/ a towel) like the windows do.

do the sedan's moonroofs have that?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by *Vy Vy*
your sunroof is out of sync, you need to resynch it, its in the manual on page 127 i think.

Last edited by christian655321; 09-11-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
yeah, it closed as much as it could on a towel. Never tried the windows.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
if i remember, on the windows, the sensor is on the top of the door frame. on my other car, if you press down on the glass, it stops. correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
yeah, it closed as much as it could on a towel. Never tried the windows.
The windows do have an anti-pinch feature. I have a solar powered exhaust fan that fits in the window. If I use the auto-up, the window goes up until it hits the fan, then reverses.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:46 AM

2002 C230K
I love this this car. But what moron decided against one touch close on the sunroof?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by WebGuyNJ
I love this this car. But what moron decided against one touch close on the sunroof?
you're talking about a company that doesn't offer an in-dash cd player standard in a $40,000 car in 2002. don't expect the brightest design ideas.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:22 PM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
i was reading the new broucher for the 03's they have that one touch close...sun roof....
Old 09-11-2002, 03:22 PM

C230K and ML320
Re: Re: Quick question about sunroof?

Originally posted by session
one would think it can be done, as the sedans have one-touch close. it's probably a software issue though.
It can be done, but it's not easy at all. The OEM one touch switches use completely different control boxes and switches. You would also have to add additonal relays and lay additonal wires. Trust me, not worth it!!

You can however try to build it yourself. I have read that people have used a thermal circuit breaker, an automotive relay, a capacitor and a diode (prob 3-5 amp) to accomplish the one touch feature. But this is way beyond my electrical skills.

Dave
Old 09-11-2002, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by WebGuyNJ
I've got a C240, and like others have said, it has one touch close. In the past, I've only come up w/ one reason the coupe doesn't have it. I mean, why wouldn't they just use the same components as the sedans? I think it's because of the shades. This is "weak", but, maybe they couldn't decide whether the shades should close during the one-touch operation -- some people might want to leave them open, others might want them closed. If it were up to me, I would want the one touch to close only the glass. If I then wanted the shades closed, I would just hold the button again. On the one-touch open, there's no question. If the shades are closed, of course, they are rolled back first before the glass opens.

Edit: Of course, if they wanted to cover all cases, they could have an option on the "settings" menu to close only the glass or glass and shades.

Last edited by MarkL; 09-11-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by MarkL
I've got a C240, and like others have said, it has one touch close. In the past, I've only come up w/ one reason the coupe doesn't have it. I mean, why wouldn't they just use the same components as the sedans? I think it's because of the shades.
i don't know why. i remember that the older e-class didn't have 1 touch close either and it just had a regular sunroof.

if the new e-class w/ the panoramic roof doesn't have 1-touch close, you might have something there.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:41 PM

C230K and ML320
Originally posted by young
i don't know why. i remember that the older e-class didn't have 1 touch close either and it just had a regular sunroof.

That's because MB completely changed the logistics and control of the control boxes, wires, switches and relays. The old style has about 40-50 wires coming from the window switch panel that go to a central relay (in the trunk) and then, to the window. The newer style has only 8 wires coming from the window switch panel. From the panel, the wires then go to each door where there are 4 separate control boxes (1 for each door). Totally differnent styles of control...

Dave
Old 09-11-2002, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: Re: Quick question about sunroof?

Originally posted by dwang
It can be done, but it's not easy at all. The OEM one touch switches use completely different control boxes and switches. You would also have to add additonal relays and lay additonal wires. Trust me, not worth it!!

You can however try to build it yourself. I have read that people have used a thermal circuit breaker, an automotive relay, a capacitor and a diode (prob 3-5 amp) to accomplish the one touch feature. But this is way beyond my electrical skills.

Dave
To implement an electric "one touch open/close" is a piece of cake, really. You don't have to have an engineering degree for that. However, I don't think it's even "that" complicated with this generation of MB. Remember, there are no wire harnesses in our cars, all devices (switches, sensors, driving motors) communicate with each other over a bus - 2 wires only(!) Hence, synchronization glitches, which are in essence software issues.

If you have a directional switch and the end sensor - you are almost there! Just a little bit of programming needed.

Last edited by vadim; 09-11-2002 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:57 PM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
i was reading the new broucher for the 03's they have that one touch close...sun roof....
WRONG! The 2003 C230 does not have autoclose. It is possible to program the function into the close button, it's just software. It uses FET technology via the multiplex CAN bus, however it really depends how MB decided to set this up. It has to be a parameter setting to allow an auto close function. My bet is that this is not a built in feature, otherwise on the many-many posts on the subject, Lynn or Beullwinkle would have told us how. If there is no parm to set, then it is a firmware change and lots-o-money.

I think that MB did not offer this as a setting because of the multiple stages of the pano-roof. If the roof had autoclose, all the complainers would complain that when the roof is open all the way and the wind noise is too high, pushing the close switch closes all the way and then you have to push the button again to open half way. That would **** me off, however holding the button for 5 seconds or so is very easy. But of course I am pretty buffed, so I imagine all the girly men out there would have a problem holding their punny arm up in the air for 5 seconds.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by grn300m
WRONG! The 2003 C230 does not have autoclose. It is possible to program the function into the close button, it's just software. It uses FET technology via the multiplex CAN bus, however it really depends how MB decided to set this up. It has to be a parameter setting to allow an auto close function. My bet is that this is not a built in feature, otherwise on the many-many posts on the subject, Lynn or Beullwinkle would have told us how. If there is no parm to set, then it is a firmware change and lots-o-money.

I think that MB did not offer this as a setting because of the multiple stages of the pano-roof. If the roof had autoclose, all the complainers would complain that when the roof is open all the way and the wind noise is too high, pushing the close switch closes all the way and then you have to push the button again to open half way. That would **** me off, however holding the button for 5 seconds or so is very easy. But of course I am pretty buffed, so I imagine all the girly men out there would have a problem holding their punny arm up in the air for 5 seconds.
Wow, that's long winded, but I think some of you coupe guys are unfamiliar with the switch on the sedans. I don't think it's just a matter of software. The switch on the coupe does not have the second "click position" when pressing toward "close" that would initiate the one-touch close if it were there. It does have the second "click" on the open position -- I don't have a coupe but I test drove one.

So, the argument above is not true -- you still would have the choice of one-touch close or regular manual close. In my C240 I can either press the sunroof switch to the first position to close it as far as I want, or press it to the second "click" to have it close all the way automatically.

I still think M-B doesn't have one-touch close on the coupe due to the shade design -- they simply took the simple (maybe dumb) approach to leave it off instead of tackling the question of whether the shades should also be closed during one-touch close. That's my opinion.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I still think M-B doesn't have one-touch close on the coupe due to the shade design -- they simply took the simple (maybe dumb) approach to leave it off instead of tackling the question of whether the shades should also be closed during one-touch close. That's my opinion.
I can't buy that. Why is closing more complicated than opening? One touch open first opens the shade...push again and the glass opens 1/2...push again and glass opens full. Why can't the opposite be true? First push and glass closes 1/2...push again and glass closes full...push again and shade closes.

I think there is some other reason why they left it off.

(and I still can't believe there are no MB insiders that read/post this board)
Old 09-12-2002, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Do any of you that own a coupe have a buddy with a sedan? If so -- try the experiment for us... swap the switch real quick and see if it makes a difference. I know it is a whole assembly, but hopefully the pinouts are the same.

To open the assembly, remove the large light cover, then inside there are 2 retractable latches. Pull those and the assembly should fall out.

P
Old 09-12-2002, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
actually, w/out the sensor to see if anything is in the way, i don't want the one-touch close for the moonroof.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick question about sunroof?