C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Installed the Sony MP3 RF CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 12:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed the Sony MP3 RF CD Changer

Hey, this is my first post, but thought i'd let you all know that I got the Sony Xplod MP3 10 disc RF changer after seeing the thread by Irvinec32. He was kind enough to even show me how he set it up.

So i bought from Goodguys.com with 10% off coupon and got it for 250. Since Im not too much of a electrician..i had it installed professionally, which cost a bit more, but they did a great job.

Good guys is having a rebate on CD changer installation labor cost right now too, but good luck finding a goodguys tech that will be proficient enough to do this.

But anyhow the unit is installed in the trunk, with the unit controller conveniently in the ashtray. It fits perfectly and can be hidden well with just by closing the ashtray.

As for sound quality, i have to give it a rating of 7-8 out of 10. Certain MP3's sound great. But other MP3's sound terrible, with lots of distortion that sounds similar to the music being played out of a CB radio. Definetly the high and low ends are compromised. If a song has a lot of high end treble sounds...like high-hats, the unit will play it with a lot of distortion. There is 2 levels of bass boost too, which does help the sound somewhat. I'm surprised it doesn't sound better though coming out of the bose system.

In summary, I'm glad i got the unit. It looks good, and now i have mp3 capability, but I am disapointed with the sound quailty. If anyone knows how the sound quality can be improved, i'd like to hear about it. I have the unit set on Level 1 output, and on station 88.5.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 silver c32
congrats on your install.

the quality of your sound depends HEAVILY on the the quality of your mp3 file.

make sure that it has a bit rate of at LEAST 128 kb/s. the higher the better. but anything over 200 will make the file very big.

try this, put in a regular audio cd. you will notice the sound quality to be excellent. you can't just download mp3's from the net and expect them to be of high quality.

rip your own mp3's for the best and most consistent results.

good luck