C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mercedes-Benz Loaner Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry buddy, I'm already at UH
Old 12-07-2006, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I think Mercedes/BMW/Lexus/etc. corporate should mandate that the dealerships can't age discriminate and they must take insurance policies on their loaners that cover ANY adult. Last time I checked you are a legal adult able to enter into a contract at 18, and that means you are able to buy a luxury car. I know I paid exactly what any "adult" would pay when I bought my car so maybe next time they should give us a discount on our purchase price since it won't include loaners when our cars come in for service.

Also, I have no complaints on the loaners vraa, I mean over here they give out brand new C280 4Matics. I think thats pretty generous we can't expect S-Class loaners after all. Look at the way most people abuse them anyway.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by pmb600
I think Mercedes/BMW/Lexus/etc. corporate should mandate that the dealerships can't age discriminate and they must take insurance policies on their loaners that cover ANY adult. Last time I checked you are a legal adult able to enter into a contract at 18, and that means you are able to buy a luxury car. I know I paid exactly what any "adult" would pay when I bought my car so maybe next time they should give us a discount on our purchase price since it won't include loaners when our cars come in for service.

Also, I have no complaints on the loaners vraa, I mean over here they give out brand new C280 4Matics. I think thats pretty generous we can't expect S-Class loaners after all. Look at the way most people abuse them anyway.
Auto manufacturers can't dictate to the insurance companies, what their guildlines will be with regards to age requirements. These are private corporations, not public institutions. They have every right to protect their assets and profits as they see fit. If accident statistics show that the majority of losses are due to drivers age 18-25, they will be exluded from renting. The dealerships have to acquire their own policies, indemnifying them from loss. They are just the messangers of the bad news to you <25'ers.

As to the dealer's generosity with their loaners, I am quite satisfied, even if I get a 3 year old C240. DC's other major marque in the US, Chrysler does not offer anything. When I have to take my wife's vehicle in for work, I can't wait around for the shuttle to bring me home so I have to ride my bike home. Oh well, I get a work-out that way and save time, but still, they don't offer any loaners. That sucks.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Auto manufacturers can't dictate to the insurance companies, what their guildlines will be with regards to age requirements. These are private corporations, not public institutions. They have every right to protect their assets and profits as they see fit. If accident statistics show that the majority of losses are due to drivers age 18-25, they will be exluded from renting. The dealerships have to acquire their own policies, indemnifying them from loss. They are just the messangers of the bad news to you <25'ers.

As to the dealer's generosity with their loaners, I am quite satisfied, even if I get a 3 year old C240. DC's other major marque in the US, Chrysler does not offer anything. When I have to take my wife's vehicle in for work, I can't wait around for the shuttle to bring me home so I have to ride my bike home. Oh well, I get a work-out that way and save time, but still, they don't offer any loaners. That sucks.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I meant that corporate should require that their dealerships buy insurance policies that will allow 18 year olds and up to drive. And yes they are available, I'm sure at an increased cost. Too bad about that, we are owners too and we deserve the same rights and priviledges that any Mercedes owner is entitled too.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
I completely agree with pmb600 - these dealerships are just cost-saving, don't think that they would love to give you one but they can't. Don't give them that credit, because they are protecting their assets, no they just don't want to buy the insurance. And that's pathetic! There's no excuse, if a kid (23) comes in with an E55 (an $80,000 car) and you tell him that you can't give him a loaner, that's just ridiculous! These cars are priced to include all the benefits -- road side service, loaner cars, equipment coverages, etc.

No, the cars they give you are good/or I have no problem with them. I saw a couple of C280's and C230's (which I wouldn't say is a 'crappy car', it's better than the Lexus IS) there. And I don't know about Mercedes (as I'm yet to get a loaner), however, my BMW dealership if you bring in an 7-Series, M5, 6-Series, you'll get a 5-Series (if available). If you bring in an X5, X3, 3-Series, you'll like get a 325 or X3. And if you bring in an M3, 5-Series, and such you'll get a 330i. So I'd assume someone with an S600 will likely get something better than the C as a loaner, but I guess that depends on the dealer.

But it looks like different dealers set different policies. Does anybody know about Mercedes-Benz Manhattan?

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I meant that corporate should require that their dealerships buy insurance policies that will allow 18 year olds and up to drive. And yes they are available, I'm sure at an increased cost. Too bad about that, we are owners too and we deserve the same rights and priviledges that any Mercedes owner is entitled too.
It's alot more complicated than just paying extra for a policy that covers 18-25 year olds. Some states regulate this also, I believe. The second half of my point was that we are fortunate to get free loaners in the first place. Other marques do not have the magins to allow for that.

I am not trying to take anything away from the youth of society. Some are very responsible. Some are not (some old folks, too). If the insurance companies or dealers or manufacturers are ever reading these forums, they'd probably raise the rental age to 50. There are horrific stories of irresponsiblity and immaturity posted here. Just read the "Kill" section if you doubt me.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
age varies by states. CA is 21yr old.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by tee_tz
I completely agree with pmb600 - these dealerships are just cost-saving, don't think that they would love to give you one but they can't. Don't give them that credit, because they are protecting their assets, no they just don't want to buy the insurance. And that's pathetic! There's no excuse, if a kid (23) comes in with an E55 (an $80,000 car) and you tell him that you can't give him a loaner, that's just ridiculous! These cars are priced to include all the benefits -- road side service, loaner cars, equipment coverages, etc.

No, the cars they give you are good/or I have no problem with them. I saw a couple of C280's and C230's (which I wouldn't say is a 'crappy car', it's better than the Lexus IS) there. And I don't know about Mercedes (as I'm yet to get a loaner), however, my BMW dealership if you bring in an 7-Series, M5, 6-Series, you'll get a 5-Series (if available). If you bring in an X5, X3, 3-Series, you'll like get a 325 or X3. And if you bring in an M3, 5-Series, and such you'll get a 330i. So I'd assume someone with an S600 will likely get something better than the C as a loaner, but I guess that depends on the dealer.

But it looks like different dealers set different policies. Does anybody know about Mercedes-Benz Manhattan?

Tee_Tz.
I've brought my M3 in twice and have gotten a 325i and a Mini! They wanted $15 extra for a 5-series (they wanted the extra $15 from someone who brought in a 750i as well though)...
Old 12-07-2006, 07:33 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
Originally Posted by arcwelder
I get the same looks and I'm 34! When I go in to my dealer thay make me feel like I'm putting them out! Like it's my fault the car is broke or needs waranty work. I had to get a new service adviserbecause my last one was such a dick to me. He eventually got fired. But it took a looong time for them to figure out he was a dick.
Ray Catena treated me like that so I went to Princeton with a friend & we bought one each!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Arn560
Ray Catena treated me like that so I went to Princeton with a friend & we bought one each!
Really thats a shame to hear, Ray Catena is usually the best! I've had great experiences at their dealership. I think Mercedes-Benz of Morristown and Millennium are the worst and nastiest dealerships I've ever been too.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ScottW911
It's alot more complicated than just paying extra for a policy that covers 18-25 year olds. Some states regulate this also, I believe. The second half of my point was that we are fortunate to get free loaners in the first place. Other marques do not have the magins to allow for that.

I am not trying to take anything away from the youth of society. Some are very responsible. Some are not (some old folks, too). If the insurance companies or dealers or manufacturers are ever reading these forums, they'd probably raise the rental age to 50. There are horrific stories of irresponsiblity and immaturity posted here. Just read the "Kill" section if you doubt me.
I don't doubt you, I make it a practice not to read the Kill section because it just makes my blood boil.

I find it hard to beleive that states would regulate a car dealerships loaner car fleet. I think its a simple matter of money, of course its going to cost more to get an insurance policy that includes 18+, but as I said earlier I think its necessary and appropriate. And lets face, insurance companies will write a policy for anything you want for a price, so let's not pretend that they refuse to insure this age group, they simply charge more for the increased risk.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

I don't doubt you, I make it a practice not to read the Kill section because it just makes my blood boil.

I find it hard to beleive that states would regulate a car dealerships loaner car fleet. I think its a simple matter of money, of course its going to cost more to get an insurance policy that includes 18+, but as I said earlier I think its necessary and appropriate. And lets face, insurance companies will write a policy for anything you want for a price, so let's not pretend that they refuse to insure this age group, they simply charge more for the increased risk.
Some large dealers, like the big 3 surrounding me, have loaner fleets number in the 200-300 car range. They probably have chosen to self-insure. Knowing that car insurance rate for my beginning-to-drive son are about double my insurance rates, age limits on self-insurace is just a matter of fiscal survival for the huge loaner fleets.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by nlpamg
I've brought my M3 in twice and have gotten a 325i and a Mini! They wanted $15 extra for a 5-series (they wanted the extra $15 from someone who brought in a 750i as well though)...
What??? That's shady, they want you to pay for a loaner? Wow, that's odd.

ScottW911 - No it's simply paying more for the insurance. Every single state has a rental car company that can loan to kids as young as 18 years old. It's actually a law to have that. The reason being that if you select that on your insurance policy (-"Rental Car"), then in the event you are in an accident and you need a rental (as provided in your coverage), you're insurance company will help you locate a company that rents their car to younger people. Secondly, as we've read throughout this thread, some dealers in the state offer the loaners and some don't; which only comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing alone: cost-saving. There's no other possible reason.

And quite frankly, old people should have the highest insurance (65 yrs.+), because they are the ones causing accidents left-right-center. And secondly, people who are a little older (50's) should have to retake a driving exam. It's sounds ridiculous, however, things have changed in the last 30 years (since they first got their license); at least the younger generation (well it's hard to say "taught" because they don't teach you anything), but was taught more recent information. The information the older generation has is outdated!

ScottW911 - I'm not mad/annoyed at you, just annoyed at the situation that they put me through, I was livid especially because they didn't tell me this before hand. One thing I hate: people wasting my time.

A very annoyed --
Tee_Tz.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Lexus RX330 (mine) 2006 C230 (wifey) 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport

And quite frankly, old people should have the highest insurance (65 yrs.+), because they are the ones causing accidents left-right-center. And secondly, people who are a little older (50's) should have to retake a driving exam. It's sounds ridiculous, however, things have changed in the last 30 years (since they first got their license); at least the younger generation (well it's hard to say "taught" because they don't teach you anything), but was taught more recent information. The information the older generation has is outdated!

Tee_Tz.

Where are you getting your facts from?

Here is a general rule for insurance...drivers under age 25 have more accidents than older drivers, so they pay more. Drivers between 50 and 65 years of age have low accident rates and are offered discounts.

But just FYI...it is common for companies to charge drivers past the age of 65 more.

Last edited by 2006c230; 12-08-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by 2006c230
Where are you getting your facts from?

Here is a general rule for insurance...drivers under age 25 have more accidents than older drivers, so they pay more. Drivers between 50 and 65 years of age have low accident rates and are offered discounts.

But just FYI...it is common for companies to charge drivers past the age of 65 more.
As I said: "old people should have the highest insurance (65 yrs.+)". This age group does not have great reflexes, great eye-sight and so forth, thus we agree that these old drivers, unfortunately, aren't very good drivers anymore.

Yea, I know how insurance works - it's mainly outdated statistics -- whatever, insurance companies are all a big scam. Anyway, it's clearly evident that some dealership just don't want to pay the extra money for insurance (for under 25); and it could be because most of their clients are over 25 or it could be that they're just cheap since they're independently owned, dunno -- either way, it puts a stench on my relationship with MB -- I'm starting to appreciate BMW Service more and more.

nlpamg - How was the service overall, is it still early to tell or can you compare Mercedes-Benz Service and BMW Service?

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
when i was 16 i brought my mom's sedan or my coupe to the dealer they gave me loaner no problem, and they have really good service. While i am waiting for my car i went to play with all the SLR, E63 CLS63 CL600 and what happened is some people comes to me and asked, "Do you need help?" and i say "how do i get the SLR door open??" They lock the freaking door!! but they get the keys open it and let me in. But i am too scare to ask for a test drive.....

Smythe European San Jose CA
Old 12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
nlpamg - How was the service overall, is it still early to tell or can you compare Mercedes-Benz Service and BMW Service?
Service overall was ok. There was a problem and they couldn't find my car and alleged that I already picked it up the day prior. I didn't (and even called my service advisor to say put the car in an enclosed spot b/c I wouldn't be able to pick it up that night) and needless to say, I was pretty PISSED. The service manager started raising his voice at me and asking me ******* questions (like whose signature is this then, which wasn't even close to mine) and I raised my voice right back at him and told him that it's highly inappropriate to treat me like that and to speak to me in that manner. I told him and his subordinates that he should treat me with a little more respect and to FIND MY CAR otherwise I'd get every consumer protection agency in the state on his *** and file a lawsuit. Needless to say, he took care of it personally and ran around looking for my car.

I've had worse happen than them not being able to find my car... I've had problems at MB where South Bay Mercedes SCRATCHED my passenger side door b/c of their fat *** porters parking it like ****. And they denied all liability but ended up fixing it. DO NOT GO TO SOUTH BAY MERCEDES!!!!!!

Hopefully those problems won't arise at BMW. What I don't like is that they can't do warranty work or any intense work other than oil changes and brakes on the weekends (apparently if something goes wrong BMWUSA isn't open for them to call), whereas the Mercedes dealers all do warranty work on the weekends.

In general, the service seems to be about the same. It seems like they have more BMW loaner cars to give than most of the Mercedes dealers in LA. I do like how they take your key and just put it in a key reader and it uploads your VIN, mileage, and owners information onto their computer without them having to write it all down and stuff (it makes everything a lot faster).
Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by Brabus_x2
when i was 16 i brought my mom's sedan or my coupe to the dealer they gave me loaner no problem, and they have really good service. While i am waiting for my car i went to play with all the SLR, E63 CLS63 CL600 and what happened is some people comes to me and asked, "Do you need help?" and i say "how do i get the SLR door open??" They lock the freaking door!! but they get the keys open it and let me in. But i am too scare to ask for a test drive.....

Smythe European San Jose CA
Wow, that's very generous of them -- letting you touch the SLR. I'm sure they shine that car 1,000 times per day. But I guess this concludes that some dealerships are just BETTER than others.

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
they used to put fence around that SLR, but i heard they said costumer are complaining that people can't take a closer look to the car, but when i try touching the car it feel so fragile...

They have a silver and black SLR together
Old 12-08-2006, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Tee_tz...

How much do you think it would cost to rent a luxury car comparable to a C-Class around here? Say $50 a day? Next time tell MB Manhattan that you want them to give you $50 off service for their discrimination lol

btw, i'm liking your new signature pics, very cool.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Tee_tz...

How much do you think it would cost to rent a luxury car comparable to a C-Class around here? Say $50 a day? Next time tell MB Manhattan that you want them to give you $50 off service for their discrimination lol

LOL... You know what, I have no problem with the loaner - I can use the BMW in the meantime, however, it's just I wish they made that known to me before I showed up morning. And then as an afterthough, I feel they should change their policy.

Thanks - the signiture pic were a hook up... he knows who..

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 AM

Is @ Home
Hm....I had a problem once. I asked if I could get a loaner can and the front desk refused so I had to resolve it with my SA. I get Chevy Aveos from now on
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I had this problem until I was 21. Lukcily I had a nice salesman and he would loan me his personal car for the day.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Tee_tz...

Hertz will rent a C230 for $40/day. I rented one (via insurance) after being hit last winter (ironically, the car had a large dent in the rear quarter panel from being hit at some point). Hertz manages the rental fleet for my dealer (MB of Wilsonville, OR).
Old 12-12-2006, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Well I had my B Service today and I had no problems with the loaner. I got a Silver 2006 C280 4Matic. I was happy with the service, although the price is rediculous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz Loaner Cars