C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Radio Not Working - Fixed (Glad I'm under warranty)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Radio Not Working - Fixed (Glad I'm under warranty)

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while. I just thought I'd write about my recent radio experience. Periodically, my radio wouldn't produce any sound. Sometimes the sound would come back by just turning the car off and then restarting. Sometimes it would take a few days. During these times the radio would appear to be powered on. The current radio station would be displayed or the current cd track. Well 2 weeks ago the sound quit for good. I took it to the dealership and it was diagnosed as the amplifier going bad. They replaced it under warrany ( I have the Harmon Kardon upgraded sound system by the way). When I was leaving I asked the service writer how much this would've cost if I had to pay for it myself. He told me that the cost of the amplifier alone was $1,200. Wow! I was floored by that. I know other users have had the same radio issue as well as having the amplifier replaced. For anyone whose had the amplifier replaced, did the problem ever come back? Did the amplifier have to be replaced more than once. I'm hoping this isn't a re-occuring problem.

Thanks,
Leif W.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Which radio do you have, the standard unit or the COMAND?

My standard head unit acts all screwy sometimes. First the multifunction display wasn't working then whenever I tried to play a CD, it would show on the screen but no sound would come out. Both problems fixed themselves after restarting the car.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 CLK55 ///AMG
WOW! I know I responded to that post because my radio did that twice. It has not done it for about 9 months or so. I have never mentioned it to the dealer yet either. Good to know. I have the 7/100K warranty so I am covered for a little while longer. Thanks.

D
Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 PM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Originally Posted by pmb600
Which radio do you have, the standard unit or the COMAND?

My standard head unit acts all screwy sometimes. First the multifunction display wasn't working then whenever I tried to play a CD, it would show on the screen but no sound would come out. Both problems fixed themselves after restarting the car.

If by Command you mean the system with the Navigation, then I have the standard unit. I do not have the command and NAV.

Leif W
Old 12-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Banned

try reseting the audio link, by pulling out the radio fuse, turning on the ignition to ON, not start... Then turn the car off, put the fuse back in, and turn it back on.. Mine didn't start working right away, I have had to do it a couple of times. I have the audio 10 becker cd player. It still sometimes doesn't output sound or let me change the track from either the cd unit nor the steering wheel controls. I turn off the car, wait untill I hear all the electronics stop. Now, I turn it back to the "on" position, and wait untill the cd loads up and outputs music.. I then star the motor.. If i'm lucky it stays working, if not I do it all over.

I have been doing this now for about a month but now its learned, somehow, and it just starts up as normal. Beats me! Is there anything AI about this?