C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

question for manual drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203
question for manual drivers

i got my 2003 c230 coupe from my sister just a couple months ago and this happens to be my first manual car. i know how to drive stick, but have noticed something peculiar when i start driving....

whenever i first put in the clutch and try to shift into first, the transmission sticks... in other words it feels rough/resistant for me to put it into first. after that everything is smooth like always. even after i switch back into first once the clutch is active, there is no resistance.... but once i break and take off the clutch completely (like at a stop light) and try to start in first again, it resists letting me put it in first all over again. i tried this many times yesterday on my drive home from D.C. at every light and it always happened.

does anyone else have this problem or notice this? and do you think this warrants a visit to the mb dealer demons ? (my car is still under warranty).
Old 12-13-2006, 01:57 PM

C32
I've driven two manual cars: 97 Acura Integra GSR and 00 Prelude, and the above symptoms are fairly common.

Usually when you just startup the car, engaging in first is usually harsh by nature. If you don't come to a complete stop (i.e. coasting), it will be almost impossible to put it into first. Suffice to say, it will only be smooth is the car is completely stopped. You can also try double clutching (step on the clutch twice) to see if it helps.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
thanks for the input ultraseven....

if i understand correctly, you said that it will only be smooth when it is completely stopped (while running) and that it is common to be hard to put it into first when just initially starting the car?

my problem is that every time i put it into first to start moving and press in the clutch from rest, first gear is harsh (regardless if it is an initial start--when i turn on the car OR an intermediate start--at a stoplight).

the only way i can make a transition into first smooth is if i leave the clutch in when i stop at a light and not take it off until i go into first to start moving again. i was wondering if that is common.

thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
most cars have 1st locked out if you're going faster than a certain speed to protect the tranny. Usually its 5mph or higher, you should feel resistance trying to get into first. Being completely stopped or 1-2mph should be easy to get into first.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
most cars have 1st locked out if you're going faster than a certain speed to protect the tranny. Usually its 5mph or higher, you should feel resistance trying to get into first. Being completely stopped or 1-2mph should be easy to get into first.
That's true. And by the way, GDawgC220 nice pic! I see you showing off that 4-Wheel Drive, I'd never pose my cars like that; otherwise I'd have to wait for the snow to melt before I can get them back home...

I would do this: turn off the car and clutch into 1st gear, see if there is any resistance then, if so, I think there's a problem. Otherwise I'm assuming the car has fully warmed up, because when my car is still somewhat cold, gear 2 can be a little stiffer (than other gears), so it depends.

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM

2007 C230 Sport manual
Mine does that, too, but only when the transmission fluid is still cold.....what you do is wiggle down to second and then up into first...that works...but this is only when fluid is cold, as I said.....mine is smooth once it is warmed up...it is minor annoyance....but I do love my Merc manual.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
good points...

i just want to make clear that i only tried going into 1st when the car was stopped (not coasting)--not moving... and this was when i noticed it would stick. the determining factor which would make it stick is whether or not my clutch was previously engaged.

if the clutch was not held in from before the stop and then i press it in and go into first --> it sticks (even when the car is warmed up!).

if the clutch is held in from when i stop to when i start again, then it is smooth.

it just doesn't seem natural to always have the clutch in in order to have a smooth shift into first at a stoplight.

does that make sense?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by midnight kompre
good points...

i just want to make clear that i only tried going into 1st when the car was stopped (not coasting)--not moving... and this was when i noticed it would stick. the determining factor which would make it stick is whether or not my clutch was previously engaged.

if the clutch was not held in from before the stop and then i press it in and go into first --> it sticks (even when the car is warmed up!).

if the clutch is held in from when i stop to when i start again, then it is smooth.

it just doesn't seem natural to always have the clutch in in order to have a smooth shift into first at a stoplight.

does that make sense?
Are you giving it enough time for the clutch to disengage before trying to put it in gear? Basically, waiting enough between stepping on the clutch and trying to get into first. If you are...is the car warmed up? If the fluids are cold, it might be a little more notchy than if it was warmed up. If it is warmed up, you could be having synchro issues...but usually most try a fluid change first as that most of the time, takes care of any synchro issues...unless they're completely shot :p but I don't think thats the case here.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by tee_tz
That's true. And by the way, GDawgC220 nice pic! I see you showing off that 4-Wheel Drive, I'd never pose my cars like that; otherwise I'd have to wait for the snow to melt before I can get them back home...

Tee_Tz.
Thanks! Gotta show off the 4wd...I got some pictures of me doing donuts around a parking lot. My brother used his SLR and took timed pictures so its like a flip book of me going around in circles and snow flying up

LOL, take it out and do some poses anyways

Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 PM

2007 C230 Sport manual
good points...

does that make sense?
Then, I think you should take it in to get checked...if it really does not seem right, then it probably isn't.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 C230!!
After I start my car. I put it in second first. Then to first then start to drive.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
thanks GDawg,

i will try a few things when i go out later...

-putting it in gear before i start the car
-waiting a little longer after i press on the clutch and before i shift
-and i will try again after i driving around for a while after my car is warmed up

i appreciate the advice... if all else fails i'll go to the dearship and ask them to check it out.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
thanks GDawg,

i will try a few things when i go out later...

-putting it in gear before i start the car
-waiting a little longer after i press on the clutch and before i shift
-and i will try again after i driving around for a while after my car is warmed up

i appreciate the advice... if all else fails i'll go to the dearship and ask them to check it out.
No problem! That's headed in the right direction Give those a shot and see what happens. Curious, how many miles on the car? Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Thanks! Gotta show off the 4wd...I got some pictures of me doing donuts around a parking lot. My brother used his SLR and took timed pictures so its like a flip book of me going around in circles and snow flying up

LOL, take it out and do some poses anyways

Did you say your brother has an SLR!?

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
there's about 39K... and i've kept with the maintenance, so we'll see what happens
Old 12-13-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6

Did you say your brother has an SLR!?

Tee_Tz.
hahaha, SLR digital camera
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
there's about 39K... and i've kept with the maintenance, so we'll see what happens
Hmmm, 39k, the fluid should be okay. But give those things a try and see what happens. Hope you don't have a more serious issue. Could be the shift linkage needs to be greased or something, might be possible. The older manual transmissions were cable linked.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
hahaha, SLR digital camera
Oh.

Well anyway, it's a great pic. Unfortunately when the snow comes to New York I'll be doing donuts too... except mine won't be for fun.

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Oh.

Well anyway, it's a great pic. Unfortunately when the snow comes to New York I'll be doing donuts too... except mine won't be for fun.

Tee_Tz.
LOL, I remember the days of my RWD C class. Those were some fun days, drifting around corners Though now, I can do the same, just much more controlled hehe
Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 AM

BMW 135i
Originally Posted by scottw
Mine does that, too, but only when the transmission fluid is still cold.....what you do is wiggle down to second and then up into first...that works...but this is only when fluid is cold, as I said.....mine is smooth once it is warmed up...it is minor annoyance....but I do love my Merc manual.
SAME HERE thats what i do i shift it to 2nd and then back to 1st and goes in smooth
Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
The reason is because the synchros are engaging to stop the transmission inards from spinning. First is a very tall gear as well. If you do second then first you will have no issues. Since second has stopped the transmission inards from spinning already. Also if you clutch in and leave it in for several seconds thus allowing everything to stop spinning then it will slide in easier as well. This is normal and nothing is wrong. Mine has done this since day one. I actually always engage second then first though so it is not noticed. I have done this whenever I drive a standard shift car so it is second nature to me.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 PM

C320 Coupe
that's why i usually start my car from 2nd gear. When you stop, sometimes you can't even shift into 1st gear no matter how hard u try, in this case you shift into 2nd gear then back to 1st, then it will go in again. as for resistance, i don't use my 1st gear more than once every week, unless sometimes im feeling high and do heel toe into first gear lol
Old 12-15-2006, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
The reason is because the synchros are engaging to stop the transmission inards from spinning. First is a very tall gear as well. If you do second then first you will have no issues. Since second has stopped the transmission inards from spinning already. Also if you clutch in and leave it in for several seconds thus allowing everything to stop spinning then it will slide in easier as well. This is normal and nothing is wrong. Mine has done this since day one. I actually always engage second then first though so it is not noticed. I have done this whenever I drive a standard shift car so it is second nature to me.
phew... thanks man, i've driven stick before... but this is the first stick i've owned, so i'm starting to pick up on these little things.

i do have another question for you... when trying to drive fast from start, how high should i rev in each gear?

i heard that max torque occurs around 4000 rpm, so if i want to have fun with my car... is it fine to run up to ~4000 in each gear as i climb my way up?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Hmmm, 39k, the fluid should be okay. But give those things a try and see what happens. Hope you don't have a more serious issue. Could be the shift linkage needs to be greased or something, might be possible. The older manual transmissions were cable linked.
I would recommend changing the transmission oil now, if it hasn't already been done. Although Mercedes (and several other manufacturers) claim to use "lifetime fluid", I have never found this to be the case, unless we are talking about the "lifetime" of the transmission. All oils (engine, transmission, and differential) change and get contaminated over time. Changing the oil seems to cure about 80 to 90% of customer complaints (poor shifting, grinding, etc.) on manual transmissions.

Now the bad news. The official MB transmission oil costs about $30 per liter, and you will need to buy 2 liters (actually holds about 1 1/2). I highly recommend changing the transmission oil (and also the differential oil) about every 30,000 miles. The transmission oil and the differential oil are different, so don't get them mixed up.

The good news. Changing the oil is a lot cheaper than transmission work, and it has a high success rate. Either have the dealer do it, or buy a 14mm and 19mm Allen wrench and do it yourself. The dealer may give you a speech about the "lifetime fluids", so you may have to insist.

If changing the transmission oil doesn't work, you may have more serious transmission issues. MB had a few problems on the early 6-speed trannys with the "dogleg" reverse gear (pull shifter left and back).
Old 12-16-2006, 01:48 AM

C320 Coupe
phew... thanks man, i've driven stick before... but this is the first stick i've owned, so i'm starting to pick up on these little things.

i do have another question for you... when trying to drive fast from start, how high should i rev in each gear?

i heard that max torque occurs around 4000 rpm, so if i want to have fun with my car... is it fine to run up to ~4000 in each gear as i climb my way up?
what engine you have? for a quick start, 4000rpm, do a "bounce clutch" and turn off ur EPS, shift before red line, that's bascially how it works for a fast start. though i do 3000rpm sometimes, 1st gear above 3000rpm has more torque than enough and not let ur tire spin anyways

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: question for manual drivers