C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mercedes Styling Crapfest continues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by sklasse
bruno's w124 , w220 and w210 , and his last w203 .. I think those are the alltime best mercedes designs ever.

and if they EVEN THINK bout throwing back any cues to chrylser..consider the impact on sales..they will drop fast

WHo is the designer behind the current crop of cars ? I want to tell him , he is fast making himself the Bangle of Mercedes.
I couldn't agree more. This guy is big on cardigans, he likes luxury yachts, and is not schooled as an automotive designer, if I recall correctly. I get the impression that the R, new ML, CLS and the new SLK started life under Bruno, and this guy came in and wanted to put his "stamp" on the design. But they were too far along for major changes. Which explains why the R lost its curves, the ML has the really ugly rear wheel blisters, and the CLS doesn't wear the oval lights it had during development. I actually like the lights on the CLS, but I think I might like it more with the ovals.

Everything that I haven't been too fond of lately has this guys mark all over it. I think this ocean drive thing is going to happen. Benz has been looking to bring back four door convertibles for awhile. I'm not against it, just want the results to look better!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outland
I couldn't agree more. This guy is big on cardigans, he likes luxury yachts, and is not schooled as an automotive designer, if I recall correctly. I get the impression that the R, new ML, CLS and the new SLK started life under Bruno, and this guy came in and wanted to put his "stamp" on the design. But they were too far along for major changes. Which explains why the R lost its curves, the ML has the really ugly rear wheel blisters, and the CLS doesn't wear the oval lights it had during development. I actually like the lights on the CLS, but I think I might like it more with the ovals.

Everything that I haven't been too fond of lately has this guys mark all over it. I think this ocean drive thing is going to happen. Benz has been looking to bring back four door convertibles for awhile. I'm not against it, just want the results to look better!!!
I fully understand what you are saying ..and I agree with your points entirely. This is not the type of design I expect Bruno Sacco would ever have conceived. I guess Mercedes are trying to appeal to the current taste for ostentatiousness -- we are currently living in a very style-obsessed era. It would seem Mercedes' new head of design, Peter Pfeiffer, feels Sacco's clean and pure designs are simply not enough to compete in the current taste-climate. The truth is, even Sacco's last designs were more directly emotionally provocative than the formal, cool, and aloof character of the old Mercedes design ethos evident in his earlier work -- an ethos that sought emotional responses from an informed appreciation of advanced engineering and restrained design principles.

Personally, I don't hate the look of this car so much ...I just don't think it looks much like a Mercedes-Benz at all. There has been a big Americanization of the Mercedes design over the past few years I believe -- this is sad because I really like the old German approach to design following the traditional Teutonic Modernist principles of form and function. This is a Retro design in a similar way to the way Bentley designers are conceiving the new Bentleys.

I posted some examples in a discussion about this concept car HERE
Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
obnoxious new S

i highly disagree. i think the new S is very slick. to each their own but i tad harsh?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
Because you know us asian like to drive Mercedes, from gangsters to normal folks.
hahaha you are so f-ing right.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I agree with Outland, the new convertible is not a thing of beauty. Where is the Ramond Loewy of today?

http://www.raymondloewy.com/about/bio.html

He massaged a multitude of industrial objects into art, The coke bottle and the Avanti mentioned earlier amoung them.

What really chaps my hide is what production cars look like compared to the fabulous concept cars shown at the auto shows.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by advans
hahahaha my dad saw this a few weeks back. he showed me and told me it looks like a old school chrysler.

and also said. if you want a 4+ seat convertible.

do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROeINCb0h_0
lol advans i <3 topgear!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 14cue
i highly disagree. i think the new S is very slick. to each their own but i tad harsh?
Yep, to each his own I suppose. I loved the new S the first time I saw it in person.

And I know people like to criticize BMW styling also, but I really like the e90. I'm not as big a fan of the e60 or e65/66 though.

And with Mercedes, I'm a HUGE fan of the W203, I think it's the best looking car they make. But I also like the rest of the lineup, especially the SL. The only car that seriously underwhelmed me when I saw it in person was the new CL. It's not bad, but I'm having a hard time getting past the taillights. It doesn't help that the first time I saw it was from the rear at a distance and I actually thought it was an Acura. They say first impresions are everything.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
come on tell me u dont love this

i would buy one in a second if i had 200g
Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I think everyone needs to realize this is just a "design study" as Mercedes calls it. It is a concept vehicle that is meant to be outrageous. Anyone remember the F200 vehicle in 1996? That car certainly didn't make it into production but lots of the technology that they tested did. It had Linguatronic (voice recognition), electrotransparent roof (Maybach roof), crazy doors (SLR), Active Body Control, and intelligent lights. This is just a way for Mercedes to throw around new ideas. The Ocean Drive is 2006 equivalent to the F200.

F200 (1996):

Old 12-23-2006, 11:45 PM

Is @ Home
But, do you want your Mercedes to look like an Acura with Kia rear ends?

Just buy the asian make car and save yourself the bucks.
With the car's styling avaliable its hard to say what is original since most companies are copying other's styles. Take a look at the front end of a Mazda 3 and then look at the front end of the 07 Camry. Although the looks are similar but are the technology/engine/interior/quality the same? From a car company's perspective, if I see a car that have been selling well due to its exterior I would take that design and maybe change it up a little bit. Generally, the Asian makes are more cost efficient but then why isn't everyone driving them?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Moviela
I agree with Outland, the new convertible is not a thing of beauty. Where is the Ramond Loewy of today?

http://www.raymondloewy.com/about/bio.html

He massaged a multitude of industrial objects into art, The coke bottle and the Avanti mentioned earlier amoung them.

What really chaps my hide is what production cars look like compared to the fabulous concept cars shown at the auto shows.
I agree. Its like the accountants and suits show up and **** on the design. Couple of recent examples... Pontiac's G6 was a great concept car- production car looks like a tarted up Accord. Saturn's AURA Concept car, which supposedly was a thinly disguised production car, was vastly different in production- not a bad design at all, but not the stunner the show car was. One of the heads of I believe it was Toyota said that the only good cars that detroit builds nowdays are concept cars. Right on the money, I'd say.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Tangerine
With the car's styling avaliable its hard to say what is original since most companies are copying other's styles. Take a look at the front end of a Mazda 3 and then look at the front end of the 07 Camry. Although the looks are similar but are the technology/engine/interior/quality the same??
A Mazda 3 and a Camry are an apples to oranges comparison. What about say, a Mazda 3 to a Corolla? Or a Mazda 6, to the Camry? I'd say the Toyota is going to last longer, but I'd still buy the Mazda in either example...the 6 is far more fun than any camry, and the 3 is genuinely a great little car. The corolla is one of the dullest cars Ive ever driven.

From a car company's perspective, if I see a car that have been selling well due to its exterior I would take that design and maybe change it up a little bit.
They do that now. When one model becomes a hit, they redesign the clunkers in the lineup to look more like the winner.

Generally, the Asian makes are more cost efficient but then why isn't everyone driving them?
Look around, just about everyone is driving them. Toyota outsold Ford last month.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
A Mazda 3 and a Camry are an apples to oranges comparison. What about say, a Mazda 3 to a Corolla? Or a Mazda 6, to the Camry? I'd say the Toyota is going to last longer, but I'd still buy the Mazda in either example...the 6 is far more fun than any camry, and the 3 is genuinely a great little car. The corolla is one of the dullest cars Ive ever driven.

They do that now. When one model becomes a hit, they redesign the clunkers in the lineup to look more like the winner.

Look around, just about everyone is driving them. Toyota outsold Ford last month.

haha on the streets, theres a million camrys, corollas. like you said, I ALSO would buy a mazda 6 over a camry or a accord. (my gf has one and i hate it)
Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
guys, i just had a real eye opener after seeing one of these on the street.

does anyone else notice a resemblance?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I also strongly prefer the cleaner, less trendy outgoing designs, but based on what I read we're in the minority. Most people seem to love the look of the new S.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I also strongly prefer the cleaner, less trendy outgoing designs, but based on what I read we're in the minority. Most people seem to love the look of the new S.
And it may be attracting new buyers also. My wife and I have never bought a Mercedes, for instance. (We got the 190 for free.)

In our decision between the A8, 750Li, and S550, the styling was a factor in favor of the Mercedes. Not the only factor, but it's the reason we went into the dealership to even talk in the first place. It was about the 5th time or so that we saw one on the beltway and we both said "wow, that is a great looking car."

Then the back to back test drives of the 750 and S550 sealed it, of course.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
haha on the streets, theres a million camrys, corollas. like you said, I ALSO would buy a mazda 6 over a camry or a accord. (my gf has one and i hate it)
I used to own an Accord. It still stands as the most unreliable car Ive ever owned. My MB has been a saint by its standards. Not even my 1970 OPEL GT could top it, a car that I used to work on for 3 days, and drive for 4. So, it wasn't just dull, it was a nightmare from a reliability standpoint.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by mkaresh

Certainly, most buyers love the look. The new S attracted just as much negative press about its styling. Its a polarizing design, its just not my cup of tea. When your spending that kind of cash, I would want a car that's more elegant, more classy...instead of "Hey Honda boy, look at my big wheel flares!"
Old 12-31-2006, 02:21 AM

2005 C240 4Matic
hahahaha my dad saw this a few weeks back. he showed me and told me it looks like a old school chrysler.

and also said. if you want a 4+ seat convertible.

do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROeINCb0h_0
I have not laughed so hard in a while...

Old 01-01-2007, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by METC240
I have not laughed so hard in a while...

New Top Gear in only 28 days!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Ahem, that's "Rich Corinthian Leather" to you, Tattoo.

Jeesh, the guy driving is wearing gradient sunglasses and has his hair slicked back. Probably has a bent nose as well. His name is "Tony".

Mod, absolutely mod - ummm, maybe a bit more disco.

Only one word describes this abortion: Clusterf***.

Why, oh why can't ANYBODY design a vert as timelessly beautiful as the Studebaker Avanti ?? They hauled *** too with a supercharged 289 V8 - ... (had one, can't BELIEVE I sold it)

And remember guys, this car was designed ALMOST 50 years ago...

thres one of those black convertibles in my town in really good shape