C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Couple questions about my c230k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 11:52 AM

2002 c230k hb
Couple questions about my c230k

First, I got the windows tinted and then reception of radio sucks. I'm guessing the antenna is on the back window glass and thus why it sucks now.

2. My remote stopped working the morning after getting my windows tinted. I replaced the battery, the small light comes on but doesn't unlock or lock the car. Dealer wants $195 for a remote so I found one on ebay for $25. Hopefully it works.

3. It was raining yesterday and it seems my wipers got reversed somehow. Now instead of coming to a rest in the lower part of the windshield, they instead stop at the top of their stroke even when they are set to off. I tried pushing them down but even when I do that, whenever I get back into the car they reset right back to the same spot. SO how do I reset them? They truly are reversed. They now go down instead of up.

4. Has anybody swapped a cd player into these cars and used them with the stock speakers? How did it sound? What impedance are they stock speakerS?

5. Is there a decent place to get replacement parts? Like a new front bumper or new hood? My hood has a ton of chips and some small dents.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-02-2007 | 01:36 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
I can answer a few of these I think:

Originally Posted by noreaga0221
First, I got the windows tinted and then reception of radio sucks. I'm guessing the antenna is on the back window glass and thus why it sucks now.

2. My remote stopped working the morning after getting my windows tinted. I replaced the battery, the small light comes on but doesn't unlock or lock the car. Dealer wants $195 for a remote so I found one on ebay for $25. Hopefully it works.
The tint on the rear window is causing both these problems. You can either use a lighter tint, or a non-metallic tint on the rear, I believe a forum search can tell you what has worked for people. The key uses both an IR transmission (works from a foot or two away, aimed at the small square IR receiver on the rear of the door handle) and an RF transmission, which uses the antenna in the rear glass. To test your old key, try using the IR mode (same button, just aim it at the IR receiver from a pretty close range).

3. It was raining yesterday and it seems my wipers got reversed somehow. Now instead of coming to a rest in the lower part of the windshield, they instead stop at the top of their stroke even when they are set to off. I tried pushing them down but even when I do that, whenever I get back into the car they reset right back to the same spot. SO how do I reset them? They truly are reversed. They now go down instead of up.
I haven't a clue on this one...

4. Has anybody swapped a cd player into these cars and used them with the stock speakers? How did it sound? What impedance are they stock speakerS?
I think the stock speakers are similar quality to the stock head unit. My 2002 had the Bose speakers, which were crap. I hear the newer premium speakers are better, but they still won't be as good as decent aftermarket speakers. If you are upgrading, you would probably want to replace the speakers too. I think the impedance is somewhere on here, if you search.

5. Is there a decent place to get replacement parts? Like a new front bumper or new hood? My hood has a ton of chips and some small dents.
Someone has mentioned the Duval Motors website has discounted prices on dealer parts (discount only if you order online).
Old 01-02-2007 | 01:49 PM

2002 c230k hb
Well the remote did work a couple times after the windows were tinted. Yes I remember, it had to work because the car was locked when I tried to get back into it when I learned the remote died. I did try pointing it right at the handle and nothing happened.

That sucks about the tint. Hopefully its the remote and not the tint.
Old 01-02-2007 | 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
the new key from ebay won't work.. at all
Old 01-02-2007 | 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your profile doesn't say what car you have but if it's a coupe, the problem is they damaged the electronics in the upper part of the hatch when tinting. Typically they remove the cover around the window and then wet the window. If they wet the electronics just above the window, your antenna amplifier is toast. Don't worry, nothing money can't fix.

Ebay key will never unlock your door, nice try though. If you want to save money on parts, check Duval Motors, they discount from list, link on my website.

The best deal on a CD player for your car is the MB Audio 10 CD used in all countries outside of NA. Check ebay.de, they always seem to have them and run under 100 euros. Much better sounding than the cassette radio, just plug and play, has RDS, still controls the CD changer if you have one. Will not work with the factory phone system (no 10 key pad to enter a phone number into).

Any relation to General Manuel Noreaga, Panamanian dictator?

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 01-02-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:36 PM

2002 c230k hb
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Your profile doesn't say what car you have but if it's a coupe, the problem is they damaged the electronics in the upper part of the hatch when tinting. Typically they remove the cover around the window and then wet the window. If they wet the electronics just above the window, your antenna amplifier is toast. Don't worry, nothing money can't fix.

Ebay key will never unlock your door, nice try though. If you want to save money on parts, check Duval Motors, they discount from list, link on my website.

The best deal on a CD player for your car is the MB Audio 10 CD used in all countries outside of NA. Check ebay.de, they always seem to have them and run under 100 euros. Much better sounding than the cassette radio, just plug and play, has RDS, still controls the CD changer if you have one. Will not work with the factory phone system (no 10 key pad to enter a phone number into).

Any relation to General Manuel Noreaga, Panamanian dictator?
Nope no relation to noriega. Noreaga was just the rapper. I've had this name for almost 10 years so its been my username just so i remember them all.

Why exactly won't the ebay key work? If it says its unpaired then it gets programmed by sticking it in the ignition as per what the dealer said.

And yes they do soak the window when tinting but he didnt remove any plactics but with the hatch in the air, the water will run down into the top part. Thats pretty stupid of benz to leave something exposed like that.

Now about the wipers, is there a way to resync them or something. I got them to 'park' like 6 inches above where they are supposed to be as opposed to being at the top of their stroke. I can push them down to their rightful position but everything I shut the door they move back to the 6" spot.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate your help. I've modded alot of dsm's in the past years so I got to know them in and out but I'm almost afraid to touch anything on this thing.

And sorry, yes its a 2002 c230k hatchback.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
the ebay key won't work - keys aren't "paired" or "unpaired" - they come pre-programmed to your car from the factory. sticking it in your ignition will neither start your car, or "pair" it with your car. It simply won't work.