C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Vent: Lost my key :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:54 PM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C320 SS
Vent: Lost my key :(

...today started off great; I got off work early this morning, my wife and went skydiving here in San Diego [Jamul], and had planned on looking at our potential new home site...we stopped in Carls Jr. by a high school and I must have left keys on the counter there because a few minutes later I noticed I didn't have them! We looked around [I mean hey, someone was bound to turn them in, right?] Didn't happen...I'm sure the kid who picked them up loved the key and keyring... So, my wife's key is even close by; she left them in Carson [2 hours south], so I call Tele-Aid only to find out my wife didn't re-new while I was deployed The rep tells me no problem, but I renew with signing back up, which means faxes back and forth Anyway, I sat at c.j.'s looking like a sad sack until my-inlaw made the drive up here.

OK, My question is; do I have to get a "re-key"? Or, do I ask to them to make a new key? Prices? Feedback?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:23 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
You shouldn't need to re-key. Just order a new key and have the dealer program it for you. You should be a little worried that someone walks around with your old key though....
Old 09-17-2002, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by DtS
You should be a little worried that someone walks around with your old key though....
I think the dealer can program the car to NOT recognize the lost key should it ever be used again.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:39 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by avlis
I think the dealer can program the car to NOT recognize the lost key should it ever be used again.
Well, in that case there is nothing to worry about!
Old 09-17-2002, 07:46 AM

Re: Vent: Lost my key :(

Originally posted by CHATMANR
...today started off great; I got off work early this morning, my wife and went skydiving here in San Diego [Jamul], and had planned on looking at our potential new home site...we stopped in Carls Jr. by a high school and I must have left keys on the counter there because a few minutes later I noticed I didn't have them! We looked around [I mean hey, someone was bound to turn them in, right?] Didn't happen...I'm sure the kid who picked them up loved the key and keyring... So, my wife's key is even close by; she left them in Carson [2 hours south], so I call Tele-Aid only to find out my wife didn't re-new while I was deployed The rep tells me no problem, but I renew with signing back up, which means faxes back and forth Anyway, I sat at c.j.'s looking like a sad sack until my-inlaw made the drive up here.

OK, My question is; do I have to get a "re-key"? Or, do I ask to them to make a new key? Prices? Feedback?
1. The dealer will remove the infrared key program from the lost key, you will need to have the current infrared keys for them to figure out the missing one.
2. Have the dealer order the next number in line (probably #3)
The cost is about under 200.00 for a new infrared key. When they order the next in line it will work without any programing.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:57 PM

'01 C320 SS
I ordered my replacement key today. The service reps said that the replacement key will cancel out the old key once I put it in the ignition, due to there only being 2 keys authorized at a time. The key used before I insert the New key will still be valid and the other gets cancelled.

*as per Don at MB S.D.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
That sure is a lame excuse for getting a 3 button key. Just picking with ya man.

But with the 3 keys per ignition, thats not true. We have 3 keys for our 2001 ML430. They all work. Maybe the W203 is different?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:08 AM

'01 C320 SS
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
That sure is a lame excuse for getting a 3 button key. Just picking with ya man.

But with the 3 keys per ignition, thats not true. We have 3 keys for our 2001 ML430. They all work. Maybe the W203 is different?
I'm going to try to get them to put it in writing...
Old 09-19-2002, 10:11 AM

did you get your keys yet? did it have 3 buttons?
Old 09-19-2002, 11:08 AM

'01 C320 SS
Originally posted by christian655321
did you get your keys yet? did it have 3 buttons?
I haven't received it yet; but it will be the 4 button version, like my original.