C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HID Install pix of engine area (detailed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
HID Install pix of engine area (detailed)

Some folks asked about my HID install.. here is what it looks like from the engine compartment. I won't bother with headlight front of car shots - we've all seen HIDs.

Anyhow, in the pix below you can see the rubber insert that feeds wires in and out of the headlight housing. The rubber piece provided makes for a very professional install - instead of the one I've seen (HID4less?) which just has you drill holes and pray for water tightness.

The second pic shows the balast mounted under the lamp housing. There's a recessed place for it to go but I found that the MB part was machined just different enough that I couldn't really use it. But rather than velcroing to the chinsy fender plastic I opted to mount to the underside of the lamp housings anyhow. It looks like OEM to all but the factory techs (I hope). I spent enough time installing it anyhow.

If you're going down this road, hopefully these can help - if you need more just shout!

P

This is looking from the top down onto the back of the lamp assembly:

This is with the camera inserted into engine cavity. The camera faced forward on the driver's side and looked at the back of the light housing:
Old 09-17-2002, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
nice job! looks very clean. better than mine... i got some blue electrical tape instead of those black rubber inserts.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Thanks!

Just a note, you can see some black electrical tape. I put it on there over the loom cover (ribbed hose) to ensure it didn't come off. It was not required, just my paranoia.

P
Old 09-17-2002, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Nice pics. You really got your camera in there. Hehe. How is the light? I just changed mine to blue from purple. I like the blue more. Kinda looks stock.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
I've kinda been kicking myself for not buying the purple. The price was same for all 3 temps of color... but I went white.

It looks like a friggin flourescent on steroids. Plain white. No blue, no yellow.. WHITE.

I like it, but gotta wonder! Of course if I bought purple, I'd wonder about the blue!

Whadda ya say we trade one bulb each and then we'd have both LOL

P
Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 4Matic
Originally Posted by peet
Some folks asked about my HID install.. here is what it looks like from the engine compartment. I won't bother with headlight front of car shots - we've all seen HIDs.

Anyhow, in the pix below you can see the rubber insert that feeds wires in and out of the headlight housing. The rubber piece provided makes for a very professional install - instead of the one I've seen (HID4less?) which just has you drill holes and pray for water tightness.

The second pic shows the balast mounted under the lamp housing. There's a recessed place for it to go but I found that the MB part was machined just different enough that I couldn't really use it. But rather than velcroing to the chinsy fender plastic I opted to mount to the underside of the lamp housings anyhow. It looks like OEM to all but the factory techs (I hope). I spent enough time installing it anyhow.

If you're going down this road, hopefully these can help - if you need more just shout!

P

This is looking from the top down onto the back of the lamp assembly:

This is with the camera inserted into engine cavity. The camera faced forward on the driver's side and looked at the back of the light housing:
Can someone repost these pictures? I'm trying to find a picture of the headlamp assembly for bi-xenons.

thanks!