C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sunroof switch problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Sunroof switch problem

Hey guys...so I woke up this morning...ate my cerael...drank my tea...hopped in the car (I usually leave the sunroof open when i garage it)...and it seems really cold outside lately (We have been getting some awkward mornings...extremely cold)...so I pulled downwards on the switch to close it...to my surprise...it didn't work...all I heard was the click...and the usual slight dimming in lights since some of the power is going to close the sunroof. So I stopped in my driveway and fiddled with it to see what is up...In order to close it i must pull the button towards the back of the car as if I am opening my sunroof all the way...and I have to keep hitting the button backwards to get the sunroof in the right position since the automatic feature won't even function...and when I want to close it from the "all open" position I have to keep pressing the button inwards(typically to close/tilt) to shut it...does anybody know what is up with this?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C240
If your sunroof only slides about 1 inch each time you use the switch, it may just have to be reset. Use the sunroof switch and get the sunroof to the fully open position. Then using the switch again to the fully closed position. Then to the pop-up position and hold the button in that position for 5 to 10 seconds. Then back to the closed position. Now try and see if the "auto functions" work. You may have to try this a few times.
I had this problem with my 02 C240. Drove it to the dealership and the S/A came out and reset it for me. Best of all, "No Charge".
Your owners manual also tells you how to reset the sunroof. Good luck and let us know if it that was the problem.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 PM

AMG GTS
Thanks a lot 1st lite. That was the problem. I re-synchronized my sunroof. I turned the key to the on position then hit the switch inwards to "raise/tilt" the sunroof all the way then pressed in again and held for about 5 seconds. Then the controls for the sunroof started functioning normally. However...one problem still persists, and I had this problem about 6 months ago but I ignored it...the problem is: whenever I slide the sunroof all the way back and try to close it with the "automatic" feature....the movement stops as if something was blocking its path and the sunroof begins opening itself again. I've had this problem for a while and just ignored it since I rarely slide the sunroof back all the way but it's just one of those pesky things that just bug me knowing it is there...I took a look at the tracks of the sunroof and I found it to be clean...does anyone have an idea of what to do? I already re-sync'd my sunroof.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
I didn't understand what he was saying either. If it is moving just a bit each time then you just need to reset it. Otherwise, your one button open/close is broken like mine. Mine stopped working 6 months after I bought the car... too lazy to mention it when I take the car in for service A. I just hold the button to open or close it... no big deal. This week, when I take my car in for my last free service, I will mention it and have them fix it.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
I experienced the same problem about a year ago. The dealer had to replace the control module for the sunroof to fix the problem. (It was as if the sunroof 'forgot' where 'CLOSED' was, so it would close a little bit, then open again - same as your description)
Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by dmatre
I experienced the same problem about a year ago. The dealer had to replace the control module for the sunroof to fix the problem. (It was as if the sunroof 'forgot' where 'CLOSED' was, so it would close a little bit, then open again - same as your description)
Was that replacement for the control module covered under warranty (since i'm still on warranty)?

And electromethod, sorry about the bad wording. My one button open/close is broken, that is what I am trying to say.

Also, do you guys think I should attempt re-oiling the tracks since I notice that even though I hold the button to close the sunroof from its all-open position...it goes much slower than it did before as if it is about to die out or something.

My service B is in about 1200 miles, if I get this sorted out then or before then I will be sure to ask the dealer what happened and how did they fix it...just so this topic can be searched if this problem were to resurface with anyone else...
Old 01-21-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
It was covered under warranty. I'm presently in Montreal, but when I return home, I can post the part number from the service record.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 2004 C230K 6-Sp-Manual Sedan Mars Red
Originally Posted by c230K415
... whenever I slide the sunroof all the way back and try to close it with the "automatic" feature....the movement stops as if something was blocking its path and the sunroof begins opening itself again.
I had a similar problem too. Try lubricating the track or have the dealer check the track alignment.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by frox11
I had a similar problem too. Try lubricating the track or have the dealer check the track alignment.
thanks! i'm going to try putting some WD-40 on the tracks tonight unless you guys recommend something else.