C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

6 speed vs auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230SS Blue/Black, 2003 SL500 Silver/Black
Originally Posted by brydon
In my owners manual (it's a 2005 manual) it says that the manual has a better range than the automatic. The automatic definitely drives more conservatively than most of us because the computer tells it too, but I think if you take a comparable W203 stick vs auto and drive them exactly the same way you'll find the stick gets slightly better gas mileage than the auto.

I was reading the report on my car at Edmunds.com, and they say according to MB, for 2005+ the stick is the same speed 0-60 as the auto.

Honestly, I've driven the auto C280 (wife's car), an Auto E350 (loaner), and an auto CLK 500 (father-in-law's car). Asid from the fact that my car is a little faster than my wife's and the loaner, I just get excited every time I get in my car because I love driving a manual car.

It does suck in the city (oh and in stop-go-traffic I drive with my knees and send email on my Windows Mobile Samsung i730 PDA so I'm actually less safe than an auto drive ) but everytime I pull onto the free way and push it all the way 6,000 before I change and then I drop it into 6th, then back into 3rd or 4th for changing lanes then back into 6th for cruising, I just get a grin on my face because I think sticks are just SO much fun to drive.

What it comes down to man is your own personal preference. The only mechanical difference is going to be slightly lower gas mileage and a little more maintenance costs. You shouldn't take that into account unless you're considering keeping the car for more than 40,000/5yrs though, or not buying the extended warranty.
The 7 speed auto gets better mileage than the 6 speed manual. This is a fact. Look online and you will see what I mean. The extra gear means closer ratios with a numerically lower final gear.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer manual. Both my 1961 XK150S and my 1973 Stingray at manual. More fun and because I know how to double-clutch, I can exit a corner much more smoothly and quickly than an auto, but as an adult, I cannot discount the advantages of having a slush-box.....which is why both Mercs are auto.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:13 PM

His '06 C350 SS 6MT, Hers '07 C280 S Auto
Originally Posted by Mercus
The 7 speed auto gets better mileage than the 6 speed manual. This is a fact. Look online and you will see what I mean. The extra gear means closer ratios with a numerically lower final gear.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer manual. Both my 1961 XK150S and my 1973 Stingray at manual. More fun and because I know how to double-clutch, I can exit a corner much more smoothly and quickly than an auto, but as an adult, I cannot discount the advantages of having a slush-box.....which is why both Mercs are auto.
In my 2005 Users manual it says that the range for the Manual is a little better than the range for the Auto. Did the 2005 C350 not come with the 7-speed? Why the discrepancy do you reckon?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 PM

2006 C230SS Blue/Black, 2003 SL500 Silver/Black
Originally Posted by brydon
In my 2005 Users manual it says that the range for the Manual is a little better than the range for the Auto. Did the 2005 C350 not come with the 7-speed? Why the discrepancy do you reckon?
The 2005 did not come with the 7 speed.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mercus
The 2005 did not come with the 7 speed.
Damnit dude, I need to get the correct manual for my car! That's what I get for taking a big discount on a 2006 car the dealer drove for 3,800 miles. I didn't get the floor mats, owners manual or CD Changer magazine. I went back the next day and they gave me a CD Magazine, then they put in All-Weather floor mats for me (I dig the rubber man, what can I say) for free the first time I had it in for the NAV, but the manual is still this old one they had hanging around. I need to gets me a 2006 manual!

Sorry for hijacking the thread JD
Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 PM

Grand Cherokee Limited
lol its cool thanks for the opinions, i understand why some people want a stick and others auto, i quess if i want a stick buy a mustang to race around and play in for the benz ill stick with auto for the nights i wanna to a cruise out on the town with the lady's.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Well, let me rephrase -- they are two types of people on the road: idiots and non-idiots. brydon - If you use your cell phone to send emails in your car while driving, it's obvious which category you fall in. I can't speak for them. What I can say is STATISTICALLY, it's found that manual transmission driver's are less likely to have fender benders.

Tee_Tz.
Wow....so there's only 2 types of drivers out there? idiots and non-idiots? and by using cell phones, you're automatically an idiot? If you can swear to everyone on here that you have never ever used a cell phone while driving, then you can claim that statement. Otherwise, please rephrase it again. And statistically, insurance premiums prove that manual cars are more likely to end up in fender benders...thus the higher premium.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:14 AM

Dude I've never hit anyone while I was using my cell phone, even when I'm sending email. I've coasted at 2mph in my 02 WRX into a truck at the stop light, but that's because it was wet and I thought I was stopped!! The guy got out, said "haha you scratched my tow hitch!" got back in his car and drove away. I had a nice 2 1/2" dent in my aluminium hood, so, time for a CF one . But I only ever send email when the traffic is literally stop and go, and I put it down most times when we're on the go. I'm an IT Guy, we have to stay on the ball.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Wow....so there's only 2 types of drivers out there? idiots and non-idiots? and by using cell phones, you're automatically an idiot? If you can swear to everyone on here that you have never ever used a cell phone while driving, then you can claim that statement. Otherwise, please rephrase it again. And statistically, insurance premiums prove that manual cars are more likely to end up in fender benders...thus the higher premium.
The problem with people who've driven for a long time (and by a long time I mean more than 5 years - almost on a daily basis), is that they get 'too used' to driving. This means they start taking less precautions (and we're all guilty of this) and after a while begin to be driven rather than drive the car. I think a manual transmission REMINDS you that you are the driver, not the car.

Just a thought.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Grand Cherokee Limited
/\

i agree!!! good point
Old 01-28-2007, 08:59 AM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
Originally Posted by tee_tz
I think a manual transmission REMINDS you that you are the driver, not the car.

Just a thought.

Tee_Tz.
Problem is this : Why we are driving ?

1.Ricing driver like passing everyone using manual speed more
2.Feeling real driver ! using manual as you say
3.Going to two point, departure - arrival, safely using auto or manual

I am 3. point driver and I am good mood and relax using Auto !