C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2003 owners who want crank shaft pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by whitecar2003
Back to the orginal thread... with the '03's has anyone considered changing the pulley on the supercharger instead of the crank pulley/damper? (Then you keep you vibration damper and don't overspeed the other accessories to boot) I think I remember reading in the past that the S/C pulley was pressed on, but where there's a will there's a way?
Actually it's not really a problem, just one the tuners don't want to tackle. ASP Racing makes S/C pulleys for the Eaton M90 in the GM s/c cars and those pulleys are also pressed on. They sell a pulley extractor/inserter. Someone with the resources (mostly time and an '03 coupe) should call Lee and discuss the possibilty and what it takes to get started. Here's a pic of their pulley puller. Here's a website that sells the ASP pulley and rents the extractor. This may be the best way to tackle the problem.

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/pro...ger_pulley.htm
Old 10-09-2002, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Actually it's not really a problem, just one the tuners don't want to tackle. ASP Racing makes S/C pulleys for the Eaton M90 in the GM s/c cars and those pulleys are also pressed on. They sell a pulley extractor/inserter. Someone with the resources (mostly time and an '03 coupe) should call Lee and discuss the possibilty and what it takes to get started. Here's a pic of their pulley puller. Here's a website that sells the ASP pulley and rents the extractor. This may be the best way to tackle the problem.

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/pro...ger_pulley.htm
At a glance, and I mean just a quick glance, of a new 2003 the SC pulley is already very small. May not be able to use a smaller pulley.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How big is it? Back in the old days like the 2000 C230K, DSR made a smaller s/c pulley without any problems, actually it produced more boost than many crankshaft pulleys. Remember, you only have to reduce it 10-20% to get desired results. So if the pulley is 3 1/2" for example, reducing it to 2.8" would give you 20% more boost, more than a crank pulley currently. Look at the s/c pulleys from ASP for the Ford Lightning with the Eaton s/c. ASP sells a 2.8" pulley and that's for a 13 second pickup truck. We are only hoping for a 15 second little car. Don't believe the hype from tuners, talk to a real pulley company. I think this would be a great opportunity to design a new fresh idea for the 1.8. I think it can not only be made but be produced and sold for under $100 with no belt change.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Ive held many different types of bearings in my hands, they are heavy, and the individual rollers themselves are rather dense as well...certainly doesn't feel or look like aluminum.
Those are ball or roller bearings. Your right, those are usually made from steel, stainless, plastic, ceramic, etc.

The engine bearings arent that type. Engine bearings look like a ring of metal that's been cut in half to form two semi-circles. They really only act as bushings when the engine is starting. After that, the shaft journal rides on a thin film of oil.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by avlis
Those are ball or roller bearings. Your right, those are usually made from steel, stainless, plastic, ceramic, etc.

The engine bearings arent that type. Engine bearings look like a ring of metal that's been cut in half to form two semi-circles. They really only act as bushings when the engine is starting. After that, the shaft journal rides on a thin film of oil.
Thank you.

I knew I wasn't loosing my mind. I did say
Ive seen bearings with aluminum bearing *cages*, heck even plastic ones, but Ive never seen an actual aluminum roller, ball, or pin.
You guys are talking about the connecting rod "bearings" on the crank journals, right? Yeah, those aren't much removed from bushings...why they call them bearings is beyond me. The Oil pressure is the only thing keeping them alive. When I read DCX's post I though, what, is he on crack? An aluminum roller? C'mon, that won't last 100 miles

I'm not a total idiot.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by Outland
Thank you.

I knew I wasn't loosing my mind. I did say

You guys are talking about the connecting rod "bearings" on the crank journals, right? Yeah, those aren't much removed from bushings...why they call them bearings is beyond me. The Oil pressure is the only thing keeping them alive. When I read DCX's post I though, what, is he on crack? An aluminum roller? C'mon, that won't last 100 miles

I'm not a total idiot.
can't lose what ya don't have

http://engineparts.com/products/bear...iles/frame.htm
Old 10-10-2002, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Outland
Um, yeah...Honda *Leafblower* maybe.

Not trying to flame you or anything, but C'mon, bearings made of aluminum? No way. Certainly not main bearings, the aluminum would deform under the weight of the crankshaft and flywheel alone. Ive seen bearings with aluminum bearing *cages*, heck even plastic ones, but Ive never seen an actual aluminum roller, ball, or pin. Same goes for lead...have you ever used lead? Its limper than a wet noodle. The bearings are steel.

http://www.caterpillar.com/products/...f/pehp8042.pdf
Old 10-10-2002, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Great links DCX! Thanks.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Gol Babbit, now I remember...

Originally posted by DCXdynodog
can't lose what ya don't have

So true.

However, much of my engine experience is with Harley's, which use roller bearings for the "main bearings", as well as on the crankpin. And those are high carbon steel, with an RC of at least 50 or 60...so please understand my natural reaction to your post about the bearings being aluminum

Ive worked on plenty of car motors, but not anytime recently, so I apologize for the knee-jerk reaction Thanks for the links, I knew they started with a "B", but its been so long I forgot the term
Old 10-11-2002, 06:53 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Supercharger (blower)

If you go to Eaton's web site you will find that they DO make the supercharger for MB and have since the getgo.

The beauty of it is that unlike a turbo which uses engine oil for lub the supercharger has it's own oil. Eaton claims a work cycle of at least 100,000 miles for there units. The other benefits over a turbo I'm sure are already known by most of those on this forum.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:43 AM

How big is it? Back in the old days like the 2000 C230K, DSR made a smaller s/c pulley without any problems, actually it produced more boost than many crankshaft pulleys. Remember, you only have to reduce it 10-20% to get desired results. So if the pulley is 3 1/2" for example, reducing it to 2.8" would give you 20% more boost, more than a crank pulley currently. Look at the s/c pulleys from ASP for the Ford Lightning with the Eaton s/c. ASP sells a 2.8" pulley and that's for a 13 second pickup truck. We are only hoping for a 15 second little car. Don't believe the hype from tuners, talk to a real pulley company. I think this would be a great opportunity to design a new fresh idea for the 1.8. I think it can not only be made but be produced and sold for under $100 with no belt change.
Hi Buellwinkle,

Here is quick pic

The issue here is the design of the pulley, notice it is recessed over the nose of the supercharger. those bastids!

Also I don't think they gave us a threaded hole in the end of the shaft for an installer, which makes a bit more inconvenient.

If I were a conspiracy nut I'd say they did it on purpose :p
Old 10-27-2002, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't panic yet dynodog, it's not the end of the world as you know it. The s/c pulley is pressed on as in many applications like the Ford Lightning and the Pontiac GTP, no biggy, you just need the right tool to remove it. Talk to Lee at ASPRacing.com, that's what they do and they have and can sell you the tool you need to do this. There are some ASP dealers that can rent you the tool.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:55 PM

Don't panic yet dynodog, it's not the end of the world as you know it. The s/c pulley is pressed on as in many applications like the Ford Lightning and the Pontiac GTP, no biggy, you just need the right tool to remove it. Talk to Lee at ASPRacing.com, that's what they do and they have and can sell you the tool you need to do this. There are some ASP dealers that can rent you the tool.
Thanks Buell,

No panic here, I can make the tools myself and the pulley for that matter. My car is a daily driver, may not even modify it, modification is low on my priority list at the moment.

I put it out here for yourself and others to see the design constraints which will make it difficult

Given that a smaller blower is being driven harder than the modified 2.3 L, a better intercooler (or misting) may very well be the best first step with the 1.8L anyway.

Of course, I am disappointed with stock power level for the $$ this car cost...but I knew that going in.

If I want a kick I take out my 7 second R.E.D. or my 10 second 69 GTO