C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP - I can't open my window!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C200K 2.0L (W203)
HELP - I can't open my window!!

Hey guys,

First things first; this is my first post so hello to all you MB enthusiasts.

My driver's side (RHD UK spec) electric window won't go down for some reason. It started to play up a month or so ago and like most things, I gave the door a good bang and it started working again!!!
Then a couple of days later it stopped working again and it didn't matter how hard I hit the door it still doesn't work !
I then decided to take the interior of the door out to see if there was any loose wiring but nothing jumped out at me and after wiggling a few wires nothing had changed. Hence I put the door back together again.
My routine has now changed to every time I get in the car, I have to check to see whether it has miraculously cured itself. Nothing had changed for a couple of weeks until we had a real cold spell (with snow!!) and for some reason it started working again. Problem solved I thought, but now it's stopped working again! The cold weather may be irrelevant but worth a mention.
Anyway, i'm definately getting power to the window control module as I can hear a clicking in the door (the fuses I have checked and all are ok). I don't think it's the electric motor since the momentary operation of the window in the cold kind of excludes that one. So i'm thinking it's the window control module? The only thing is that all the other windows work!!
It's starting to become a real pain now. I know one of these window modules is over 100 notes so i'm after some opinion's before I go and shell out for one.

Any responses are much appreciated, especially if someone has had the same problem or knows if it is a common fault.

I've had more bad luck this week - went over a pot hole with my 18"'s and punctured the tyre and damaged the lip of the wheel which is polished! ! Not happy.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:15 AM

2001 C320
Cool Similar experience...

I have a very similar experience with my C320's driver side (right-hand) window not going down. Last winter it got "stuck" and then when it gets warmer, "decides" to go down again. This winter - exactly the same happened - as soon as it got cold, window won't open. I can hear some clicking going on, but not luck.

Any luck with your window? Any other users who had similar problem?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
i don't know if it's the same problem, but within the first week i got the car, the windowed rolled down and wouldn't roll up again. found out through carmax it was the window actuator.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Mercedes C200K 2.0L (W203)
Originally Posted by Ets C320
I have a very similar experience with my C320's driver side (right-hand) window not going down. Last winter it got "stuck" and then when it gets warmer, "decides" to go down again. This winter - exactly the same happened - as soon as it got cold, window won't open. I can hear some clicking going on, but not luck.

Any luck with your window? Any other users who had similar problem?
I think this issue is temperature sensitive as I do seem to have more trouble when we have had cold spells in the UK. It's quite warm weather at the moment and all is working perfectly. I didn't find any answers on this forum but on a more general search, it was suggested that the cable which moves the window up and down can jam. Quite common on Fords. I haven't booked the car into the dealer since the prices they charge to fix intermittent problems like this are expensive since they either replace everything or charge you the earth for every time they look for the fault. Sorry I can't help. Let me know if you find out what it was.