C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

odd clunking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orion Blue C230K, C2, C7, Bose
odd clunking noise

Has anybody else had the following problem?

Sometimes, when I make a quick turn, or when I'm braking (no, not a sudden brake, just a gradual one) I can hear a "clunk" or a muffled "click click" from the passenger side of the car. It sounds like something's moving around. I checked the passenger door storage area, I checked to make sure the seatbelt latch wasn't moving...there isn't anything next to the seat, or in the back seat that would be making the noise...could it be something inside the door?

Is there somewhere else I should check before I bring it to the dealer? This has been happening for just the past two days - I do remember driving over a really bump in the road (uneven paving), but otherwise, nothing unusual has happened.

Any ideas?
Old 09-24-2002, 02:10 AM

2002 C230K
if this was over a bump, my guess would be that it's quick rebound in the shocks. i get the smae clunk if i go over 40 on a speed bump. upto 40, there's no noise.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:43 AM

Check your glovebox. Maybe you have some CD's in their cases moving around.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:02 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by viper
Check your glovebox. Maybe you have some CD's in their cases moving around.
Yes, I have this annoyance, too. Since then, I've replaced the CD jewel cases with extra 6-disc CD Cassettes, but they clunk from side to side, too.

To fix this, I took an old mousepad, separated the upper surface from the rubber backing, and cut the rubber backing into pads about 5" square. I placed one square directly on the shelf to the right of the CD player, then a cassette on top... the rubber keeps the cassette from shifting. You can place a second square on top of the first cassette and then add a second cassette on top, and it won't move, either. No more clunking... at least from the glove box.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by MB-BOB
To fix this, I took an old mousepad, separated the upper surface from the rubber backing, and cut the rubber backing into pads about 5" square. I placed one square directly on the shelf to the right of the CD player, then a cassette on top... the rubber keeps the cassette from shifting. You can place a second square on top of the first cassette and then add a second cassette on top, and it won't move, either. No more clunking... at least from the glove box.
where's the pic???
Old 09-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by young
where's the pic???
Um, it's in the camera, still. Along with pics on how to tell the front of the car from the back, how to find the lock button on the SmartKey, how to find the gear shift lever, how to insert the key in the ignition, and how to insert the gas station fuel nozzle in the refill tube...

I could shoot more pics if I would get off my butt and buy a digital camera...
Old 09-25-2002, 02:21 PM

Ha hahh ahhhhh.... U the man MB-Bob. Sorry but i found it to be soooo funny.

alright 2 U

Peace