C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2002 | 08:08 AM

2002 C230K
Warranty Question

I was cleaning the inside of my windshield yesterday when I noticed the leather wrap was cracking or pulling away from my steering wheel. Its not bad yet but I don't think it should be doing this at all. Its in a spot that never really gets touched so I know this isn't wear and tear.

Should MB replace the steering wheel?
Old 09-24-2002 | 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Re: Re: Warranty Question

Originally posted by C230Jeff
Absolutely! The squeaky [steering] wheel gets the oil. Take the car to the dealer and assertively tell them you want that replaced. If they refuse, make a stink. If the stink doesn't work, tell them you'll send digital pictures (along with a letter ripping the dealer) to MB. You don't have to be nasty about it, just matter-of-fact. Carry a "This is how it is" attitude.

Good luck!
I agree they should replace the wheel if something is wrong with the leather wrap. If it's an obvious problem, I don't think they'll be resistant, why would they? They get paid for warranty work, and should want you to be a satisfied customer.

Jeff, years ago I took the attitude you described with dealers, feeling they were somewhat "beneath" me and at my service, so to speak. I've learned over time (and with the wisdom of some age) to treat them as I'd want to be treated. Starting off by threatening the service guy to do what you want "or else" won't get you very far with future service needs. They'll figure you out pretty quickly and may not be very helpful when you really need something. Just my $.02.