C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

value of c7?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 BMW 323i
Re: MB-BOB

Wow, this was a long one. Reading your reasons, I did not see anything objective, expect the "old" engine design issue, to which I will come back later. But if you are guiding your quality evaluations on "driven by bleach-blonde, bullet-boobed secretaries more interested in applying their make-up at the stoplights than driving their cars" and "doghoused husband running over her flowerbed with his lawn mower while staring at the C320", well, I guess, that's your choice! Howeever, I would not use your criteria to select my car. But again, if you trash the other cars, which happen to be Bimmers, than I just pointed out that it should be for better reasons. I understand that there are more Bimmers on the road than Benzes, maybe because one gets a better performing car for less money? I understand that MB is more roomy and luxurious, more solid, and certainly if I would need that, I may consider it. But, when one compares a CCoupe with a 3-series, I guess that the roomyness is not the area wher MB would win. In addition, the crash results name that the BMW 3-series are the best in their class. Now, as to the V vs. line engines, I've read that the main reason for V engines is the reduced cost of making them, not that they are smoother. In fact, just the opposite - however, with today's technology, they can make a V-engine smooth enough to be OK for most of the people. Yet if one wants a smooth, powerful engine, than the choice would be a line engine.

But anyway, as this started to look like a war, I will withdraw. I guess that we do not agree about cars, and unfortunatelly, we have pulled some other people into our bickering. I understand that this is a Benz board, so I guess I stepped over the line by defending the Bimmer, but that was for the reasons that I found pretty justifiable. And as I said before, the C Coupe came into my selection because I can get it for less than a Bimmer, and in these times, I have to entertain that option as well. Oops, there I go again... no more Bimmer defending. Drive safely...
Old 01-01-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
If I was you,would save my money and get the car I really wanted. I had rather make payments on a car that I would enjoy for years to come, instead of saving a little money and saying "wish I had bought the bimmer". just my two cents.
enjoy.
Tom
Old 01-01-2002, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
I just don't understand how or why "the value of C7?" turned into MB vs. BMW! One last remark about the handles (which is on the subject) however insignificant they may be to some:

I was looking around at all of the fancy cars on my ride home from Greenwich, CT(Hollywood of the East) and was sort of surprised at the Saabs, Bimmer roadsters, and even an S class sedan with black handles. I think my thing is that the 230's style handles don't lend themselves to the black plastic well at all. And that textured plastic looks and feels flimsy on a car that is not characteristic of those qualities at all. I'm not trying to **** off the you non C7 people, its just something I felt almost as strongly about as getting the larger wheels and Z rated tires. I definitely feel like I'm getting more C230 for my money with C7, not to mention some cooler stuff(namely-pedals, knob, tip, wheel.)

You non-C7's can take solace in the fact that when I get my car(mid Feb) the snow season will probably just be picking up which will clearly sideline the Merc until the weather breaks which happened late last winter. Don't feel too bad- my backup is still a looker and a rip to drive(just not on long trips)- 91 mr2 and with my tires from Finland will stun those with AWD with non winter tires who I'll fly by (you still have to be able to stop!!) Problem is the lack of space in my car forces many trips (skiing and the like) to my girlfriend's 94 Saturn- a true driver's nightmare- rides rough, uncomfortable, SLOW, and handles a step above a tank. It won't be long now- although it feels light years away. This ordering a car business and waiting 2-3 months for it is tougher than I first thought- hang in there you guys!! I wanted my first new car to be perfect- pray that nothing goes awry for me!!

Regards and happy new year to all!

C230/6-speed/orion/C7!/changer coming soon to my driveway!
Old 01-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
sk-mia, from Formula 1 to the cheapest road cars, the primary reason for V engine configurations is "packaging," the ability to place the engine within the least cubic space necessary. As any automotive engineer will tell you, V configuration engines allow more efficient engine placement in the vehicle to permit optimum f/r weight distribution, while the laid-over cylinders of a V permit a lower center of gravity than upright cylinders of the typical I-6. But it’s the compact packaging of a V-engine design that permits all of this.

While MB has gone to the expense to revise engines throughout their product line (from top to bottom) to permit better packaging and styling freedom, BMW continues to lavish its research money on the 7-series and upper range 5-series, relegating the 3-series to "making do" with a long I-6 that dictates everything else about the car. This makes the 3-series cheaper to produce, simply because the research, development and production expense has long since been amortized.

That makes the 3-series more accessible to a wider range of people... hence the reason why they are so commonplace... among people who appreciate a fine sporting sedan (such as yourself) to those who only know that it's chic to have one (the bullet-boobed bimbos). Unfortunately, I am not the first or the only person on this site to point out that the former group has long ago been overwhelmed by the latter.

Finally, I would contend it is a great deal MORE expensive to design CNC machines to mill V configuration engines, in the bargain. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

All that said, I have enjoyed our debate. I have intended no flames toward you, nor have I perceived any from you. As I said at the outset, the C7 is a great package on the Coupe, for both aesthetics and value. Peace.