C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pics of W203 door panels needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
Pics of W203 door panels needed

I am going to be starting the stereo install in the near future. Anyone have any pictures of the doors with the panels off. I am tyring to get an idea how much deadener I need to buy for the doors. I want to go ahead and get it on order that way it's here when I get started. Judging by the sound of the stock stereo and lack of road noise- they sound as though they are deadened pretty well. But you can hardly ever have too much deadener.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
The stock sound deadening is sufficient to handle aftermarket speaker, but you might want to deaden the outer door panel and put some diffusing pad behind the speaker hole. I'll stick with stock deadener and aftermarket stuff do get messy. Side note, if you want to put say a Dynamat on the inner door panel, then you need to remove the stock sound deadening, bad idea, since stock deadening absorb/restrict sound wave whereas Dynamat only lower the frequency of the panel resonance.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
How much power do you have going to your Dyn's? Judging by you brand choices in ICE- I am guessing you know your audio pretty well. I am more inclined to believe you about the stock deadening- than if you had a set of Rockford Foscrap or Kenwood's in your doors

I already have a couple Deflex pads to go behind the speakers. I am planning on doing the trunk in eDead rather than Dynamat. That stuff is way too expensive for what it is- you are mainly paying for their advertisement overhead. I guess I could just leave it (the doors) as is- if there are any rattles from the midbass- I can always use some eDead scraps I already have to cure that.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
200rms each side and they bump . Those door are well made, the only thing that can rattle is the door strip (chrome strip). Make sure mounting technique is proper. I did put some deadening on the door skin since the skin vibrate quite a lot.
Deadening the boot is a must especially the lid, it is very tin sounding, especially around the plate number area, you might need to do more than just some mass loading there. I use heavy and thick foam to wedge around that area, work wonder. Oh, you also need to find the ventilation flap on the boot (two of em, one for each side of the boot), that thing drive me nuts before i found out it was there, wedge it open and all is good.
I agree about Dynamat being overpriced, but they actually is really good, the aluminium skin is very thick and chunky. I have some RAAMAT and it just can't match dynamat, it's way cheaper but.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Maybe our terminology is different because we are on different sides of the pond- but I don't know if I know what you are talking about when you say "boot" and "ventilation flap on the boot". I am guessing something with the trunk. Also if it matters- I have a sedan rather than your coupe.

I too use foam around/behind the license plate to keep that area from making noise. Exterior rattles are worse than interior rattles I think.

eDead is a deadener produced by Elemental Designs. It's an up and coming company who makes some pretty impressive drivers, amps, and deadeners- that are quite nice for the price and a small joint out of Iowa. I have used their products before and been very happy with them. I didn't choose their speakers this time around- but I am going to use their deadener.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
yes, it's the trunk i'm refering to. I also drive a sedan, should be the same. If you remove the lining on the trunk you should be able to see those ventilation.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Sorry to be a pain inthe ****- where should I look? Right now I have the floor liner/carpet out and the side carpet pulled back near the backs of the seats since I just replaced the shocks with Koni's. So far I don't see anything- but I am guessing I will once I strip the rest of the trunk when I get started on the stereo.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
It's close to the taillight location, located on the bottom side of the trunk. It's a grille like ventilation with rubber flap. These flap will make rattling noise once you have a sub in the trunk.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
I will have a look once I get going on it. Thanks for the tip