C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c230 brakes by itself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 brakes by itself?

I have a 2002 c230, 6spd manual transmission.

Starting about two or three months ago, I have noticed a strange problem. The first incident I was cruising along on an empty freeway at 80mph at night, and the speed started dropping, it felt like the cruise control had cut off. I simply put more gas into it then reset it. It happened a few minutes later, but then didn't happen for the rest of my trip.

I assumed from that that it was a cruise control malfunction, however several days later I was on a freeway entrance ramp and the car started slowing down. It felt as though the brake was being applied or the car was going out of gear. However the car was in gear and it had been several seconds since my last shift. I kept my foot planted on the gas and the slowing down period lasted only about 2 seconds, after which everything resumed working normally.

So now I think it is a brake issue, because that would also make the cruise control turn off, if the brakes are applied. It's as though the brakes are coming on by themselves in very rare occurances.

I am skeptical of taking this to the dealer, because it happens very rarely and I have found no way to reliably reproduce it. I would estimate that it only happens once for every 3-4 hours of driving, with each spell only lasting a couple seconds. It's usually followed by a second spell about 20 seconds later, then its gone for hours or sometimes days. I haven't noticed a certain gear or speed this happens it. I believe it happens in anywhere from 30-80mph, and in anywhere from 3rd to 6th gear. Probably can happen anywhere, I just spend the vast majority of my time in those settings.

Any input?
Old 10-01-2002, 09:10 AM
JeT

It could be a EPS malfunction but I haven't heard of that occuring before.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:12 AM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
How many miles do you have on your car and hat is the build date? Few people had some strange engine cut over problem related to fuel pump.

May be you should be extra careful driving on highways till the problem if any is rectified.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:18 AM

I took delivery of my car in late March. I assume it was built a few weeks before then. I saw the posts about fuel pump problems but the symptoms did not seem to be applicable.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
This topic was covered before and I belive the problem is the brake sensor switch is either faulty or adjusted too close the pedal. The sensor is getting tripped even with no pressure applied to the pedal. I bet the brake lights flash when your cruise control cancels.