C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Laser Cut Key? Remote Start & Alarms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230K Coupe
Laser Cut Key? Remote Start & Alarms

I've been looking into getting a 2-way alarm system for my 04 c230 coupe and was told that laser cut keys cannot be duplicated for remote start. Can anybody confirm that they key I use is in fact laser cut? I have heard a lot about Viper alarm systems. Is there any one that you all would recommend for my vehicle over the others? I tried to do some googling to find out if my current model comes stock with any kind of alarm with shock sensors, but had no luck. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s
Originally Posted by MRose902
I've been looking into getting a 2-way alarm system for my 04 c230 coupe and was told that laser cut keys cannot be duplicated for remote start. Can anybody confirm that they key I use is in fact laser cut? I have heard a lot about Viper alarm systems. Is there any one that you all would recommend for my vehicle over the others? I tried to do some googling to find out if my current model comes stock with any kind of alarm with shock sensors, but had no luck. Thanks for your help!
Simply answered: No

I tried to do this when I got my car. I did a lot of researching and searching only to find the following:
1) Since our cars' ignition uses an Infrared transmitter to "unlock" the ignition, unless you leave the IR transmitter in the lock it wont start remotely. Further more, even if you do leave it in, you won't be able to lock/unlock your car with a remote since the system already recognizes the one in the ignition.

2) Also, good luck trying to find an installer that is willing to hack into the MB wiring to attach the alarm. If you do, the chances of them messing it up simply outweigh being stuck with a fried electrical system (no thanks)

If you really want remote start, you're probably just better off having a friend wait in your car and them calling him ahead of time to unlock the car and turn the ignition key for you...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230K Coupe

Remote start isn't as important to me as the 2-way alarm system. I was informed today that I can no longer park in a certain area at the location I work and must park in 'no-man's land.' The only solution I can think of is to get a 2-way transmitter alarm system. Does MB offer one of these? Or am I stuck without security?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by MRose902

Remote start isn't as important to me as the 2-way alarm system. I was informed today that I can no longer park in a certain area at the location I work and must park in 'no-man's land.' The only solution I can think of is to get a 2-way transmitter alarm system. Does MB offer one of these? Or am I stuck without security?
Get the OEM IMS (Interior Motion Sensor). For more information, contact Steve (MBenzNL). This is an OEM part that attaches to the car and is an OEM product (I believe offered in Mexico). It has the same functionality as an aftermarket alarm system (detecting motion), and integrates w/ the MB OEM alarm. That's all you'll need to have the same functions as an aftermarket alarm system (aside from the remote detection pager that some aftermarket alarms have).
Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Drex gave you great advice to beef up the factory security system. As far as the 2 way system, I think you could simply use a 2 way system by just hooking up power to it, and finding an "alarmed" output of the factory system and tying it into on of the triggers on the 2 way system. That will at least tell you when the factory alarm was triggered. As dbvolz pointed out, your just asking for trouble trying to integrate into the factory system.