C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C320 Sport Package: Thumbs Up or Down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C-Class Wagon
C320 Sport Package: Thumbs Up or Down?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the sport package for the 320 sedan or wagon and whether or not it substantially improves handling. I'm a bit puzzled that it does not appear to include 17-inch wheels that are basic to the sport packages offered by Audi and BMW.

All opinions appreciated.

Regards,
Mitch
Old 12-30-2001, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
the only suspension changes you get with the sport package is thicker sway bars. The rest is just appearance.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:57 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I was most concerned that half the value of the sedan sport package was for the premium leather seats, and not many options for color of seats, plus that ugly aluminum console trim. I don't find anything "sporty" about leather seats.

If the Sedan package were more like the C7 package on the C-Coupe, including the larger wheels that you observe, then I would have opted for it. I drove both a sport package and standard suspension car back-to-back on the same day before making my final decision. I couldn't tell any significant improvement in body lean with the Sport package to make it a "must buy." Prospective buyers should also consider this back-to-back test before buying.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i agree with MB-BOB.. i did think the exterior mods were ok but not enough to justify the price... it was the interior mods that killed it for me...but to each his own... like MB-BOB said..test drive them both...
Old 12-30-2001, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
I thought the sport package had bigger tires

From what I remember, the sport package had wider tires than the standard 320. I think it was about another half inch and they were lower profile. I guess to each his/her own. I like the aluminum and leather but can see how some would find it useless. If I had not gotten the C32, I would have gotten the sport package on the 320. Thats of course if I would have bought the 320 had the C32 not been available.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:15 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
the sport pack is a big ripoff.
true, you get wider tires, but on the SAME SIZE RIM! What other "sport pack" in the world comes with the same sized wheels as the regular car?? You could just put those same tires on the car when the first set wears out.
The suspension is almost the exact same as standard.
And, you lose the wood trim and get that nasty fake "aluminum" trim.
For $3000?!?
Old 12-31-2001, 06:22 PM

2001 C240
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
true, you get wider tires, but on the SAME SIZE RIM! What other "sport pack" in the world comes with the same sized wheels as the regular car??
I agree completely. This was discussed A LOT before the C class came out. If you look at the "Sport" packages that MB is offering on their other models, and the pricem you start to see why people think that the C Class 'Sport" package is a rip-off. All other models get bigger, AMG wheels. Why they would decide to exclude the AMG wheels is a mystery. Why they would give you the same size wheel is just plain stupid. On top of that, the European spec, C Class "Sport" packages (aka Avant Garde) come with 17" AMG wheels. Yes, the AMG body kit is cool, but it does look kind of stupid with non-AMG wheels. Hopefully, MB will fix this nonsense in upcoming model years.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:23 PM

2001 C240
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
true, you get wider tires, but on the SAME SIZE RIM! What other "sport pack" in the world comes with the same sized wheels as the regular car??
I agree completely. This was discussed A LOT before the C class came out. If you look at the "Sport" packages that MB is offering on their other models, and the pricem you start to see why people think that the C Class 'Sport" package is a rip-off. All other models get bigger, AMG wheels. Why they would decide to exclude the AMG wheels is a mystery. To include the same size wheel, as the standard model, is just plain stupid. On top of that, the European spec, C Class "Sport" packages (aka Avant Garde) come with 17" AMG wheels. Yes, the AMG body kit is cool, but it does look kind of stupid with non-AMG wheels. Hopefully, MB will fix this nonsense in upcoming model years.