C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Installing a MB Fiber CD Changer in a 2002 C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c320 coupe
Originally Posted by liveniceguy
Hello all,

New to the forum. Love the search function. Its been real helpful so far.

Got a few questions though....

I'm going to buy a 6 disk changer on ebay. Either a MC3010 or MC3198.
What is the difference between the two? I would assume that one is newer than the other? Which one is newer?

Found great threads on pulling the HU out! But not much that coveres the Fiber Optic connections. I will be putting it in the gloxebox. I found the power connection but not the Fiber. There is a Fiber cable on the back of the radio that I think goes down to the Tele. Do I need to buy the Fiber cable that gets looped into the changer? Anyone have pics or a thread of the loop connections? What about a part number for this Fiber cable?

Any help would be great!!! Thanks!
if i was you, i would put a WTB thread in the classified section.. there is always one forum member who upgraded his HU and looking to sell the stock CD changer....
Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
I believe you will also need to configure your fiber ring in the passenger side transmission hump/ footwell area. When i added the Sirius Sat module, i had to re-configure fiber connectors in this area to loop the sat module in. Essentially, on the side of your center console where the plastic meets the carpet, pull the carpet back and it will expose a bunch of the orange fibers. Most were clearly marked in my wagon. In short, you have to daisy chain one component after another and close the fiber loop. As noted above there is also a 12V wake-up per component as well as the fiber plug. Here is an important piece of info from Paul H Dick's website. It will shed quite a bit of info. http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/V60i...20Bulletin.pdf

here's Paul H Dick's website. This guy rules fro putting this info out there. Really helped me with my SDARS Sirius Satellte install.

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/index.htm

Last edited by glocati; 06-13-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
Glocati -

I was able to find a document is the form that had detailed pictures on removing the HU. I really did not want to do this but felt it was necessary. After messing with the fibers in the back, I started to get a feeling that the dealer bypassed the ring when they installed the CD changer. My hunch was right, only after removing the HU did I discover that the dealer had indeed only hooked up the CD hanger to the fiber.

I have everything back together and all is working well. My Argos Bluetooth is working but not as well as I had thought it would work.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by rsmith7
Glocati -

I was able to find a document is the form that had detailed pictures on removing the HU. I really did not want to do this but felt it was necessary. After messing with the fibers in the back, I started to get a feeling that the dealer bypassed the ring when they installed the CD changer. My hunch was right, only after removing the HU did I discover that the dealer had indeed only hooked up the CD hanger to the fiber.

I have everything back together and all is working well. My Argos Bluetooth is working but not as well as I had thought it would work.

Thanks for the feedback.
Glad you got it figured out. It is really hard to gather info on this stuff. So many different options/configurations can confuse the issue. Luckily my dealer -Rasmussen Portland was able take my self install of my sat unit and configure the fiber loop and version code with no probs. Thanks, Greg
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Hi all:

I am installing a 6 disc CD Changer in my 02 C240 Elegance. I've found the fiber optic cable but still can't find the power cable. I'd appreciate any insight, tips or ideas of where specifically it might be....

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by drbyee
Hi all:

I am installing a 6 disc CD Changer in my 02 C240 Elegance. I've found the fiber optic cable but still can't find the power cable. I'd appreciate any insight, tips or ideas of where specifically it might be....

Thanks.
Mine was real close to the fiber optic cables. Are you installing the Changer in the trunk area or the glove box? Either way there should be a plug like the top one in the pic in post 19 of this thread. That is the 12V wake-up. Kind of search around in the loose bundle of cables. Gotta be there....
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 198 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Look behind the radio, and feel between/behind the wads of foam. It's in there. Took me a few minutes to find mine. It was bundled up with tape from the factory.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 AM

CLK 320
I have a CD 3198 that need to be install in my car CLK 1999, the problem is that the connector (not the fiber cable) was cut! It is a three wire cable, but I need the configuration. Wich goes were?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM

C230K - sold
2002 C230K base HU adding CDC now

Arrrghhhh 2nd time deep into this quest to find the power plug as I add a MB CDC .... Foam behind radio is out shifter console is up tracing wire bundles from every direction .... I ain't finding it ....

What am I missing? The area is all open plain as day. Gebus

Last edited by NYFlapjack2; 09-17-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I have heard that he power cable can be far away from where the cd actually goes. I have heard over by the radio bundled up or under the door sill trim by the floor board. GL
Old 09-17-2011, 05:29 PM

C230K - sold
Sunday AM update... found the GD thing LH lower near shifter very well hidden. Now all together, and get nothing, no power at all to Radio HU or CDC...... "AUDIO ----" on the dash LCD screen ..checked all fuses and connections before I bundled it all away... so assume its the SDS configuration settings now noted in all the instructions to recognize it...

Saturday : arrrghhh !!!! it is in pieces..this SUX .. I quit on it for now . Worked on other worthwhile more cooperative projects...

So what side door sill the Drivers side or ? Pass like passing under the glove box?

The 1st picture (with my finger) I even opened up the wire bundle ahead of the shifter under the ashtray... gezzzz

2nd picture no foam all wire bundles exposed and yet no visible wire line un accounted for ......

Last edited by NYFlapjack2; 03-28-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:12 PM

C230K - sold
Updates

I would have edited my last post...but I don't see a option for that now. To update & answer some of my own queries:

Audio ----, Tele ---- , was due to blown fuse #64 Front SAM area. Meant no power to HU or CDC. Then when I was running the car with this blown fuse it tripped the SRS light. All due to the systems couldn't communicate as the DB2 was down, many noted as COMM errors when CarSoft scanned.

The CDC was FO looped directly in & out to HU only. I have no Bose, HK, AMP, Telephone or tele aid. Those other FO lines just lay there now. Then the CDC was imediately recognized and all worked, including HU, MFD and steering wheel controls for CDC etc.

Another LONG thread is here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ml#post4910633

With CarSoft and Multiplexer I was able to code my CDC in the FO system, where as I have component (1) the HU and component (2) the CDC. Not 1 & 5 as I now have a (2) component FO loop now that is all.

Oh and as well I cleared errors and reset the SRS tripped light.

Thanks all for the help and guidance on these forums!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:29 AM

2013 ML350
Great post David.. Good source of info. Grats ! on th install. Greg