C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Getting Raped by Dealer or Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz C320, Black on Tan
Getting Raped by Dealer or Warranty?

Three days ago I got the brake lining wear message, then another fault saying something about "consumer voltage defective" or something similar. Brought my car to the local dealer - my bill for a brake job, new voltage regulator and new battery is $878!! That's two and a half times my car payment. Car has 66K, and my extended warranty, purchased with the car in Jan. 07 doesn't cover the battery even though the voltage regulator is covered and it is the reason the battery is fried. It's overcharging to 17 Vlts. They call the battery76 "co-incidental damage." I call it BS. Should have done the brakes and battery myself, which is what I initially authorized dealer to do until they found the voltage problem and were already done with the other stuff. There goes the new wheels I was going to buy...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 c240, 65 MG Midget...5.0L V8
went thru the same thing not too long ago (the charging part only) and paid 500 for them to replace the battery and regulator.thing is the night before i took it there i was thinking about doing it myself, but with these cars if you are not extremley careful when disconnecting / connecting the battery any spark or voltage spike travels directly to your SAM and fries it, there's a proper device used to prevent this. when i took it to the dealer they didn't use that device and guess what...they fried my rear sam. luckely enough they had to replace it cause it was their fault, but i'm thinking if i had done it myself i would have been $ 1500 poorer...brakes you should have done yourself though
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you think these dealers and warranty companies make money. If they had to make good on your problems they would make less and then they wouldn't be able to offer people like me free car washes.

As for batteries, just call MB Roadside Assistance. They will come and check if it's the battery and install the battery for just the cost of the battery which isn't that much, about $100.