C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

6 spd. problem... i might be the first...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230k
6 spd. problem... i might be the first...

i don't know exactly what's wrong with my c230, but the shifter ... well, stopped shifting ha..........
i was drivng on the side streets in woodside, ny (queens) at 1am... and as i was driving down a block (coasting at about 20), i felt a vibration in the shifter and the car lost all of the gears... i couldn't pop into any gear....

i have c7 and i believe the linkage must have "come loose"... or the car ran out of fluid?.... or the clutch burned out??

i dunno what happened... i don't have tele-aid, so i called 1800merc and a tow truck came around in 30 min
they said i had to bring the car to silver star in long island city b/c it is the closest dealership to where the incident happened... which is stupid b/c the driver towed it to a lot by my house to store it for the night (and drop it off in the morning)... it would be closer to helms bros., where i bought the car....

since last night, my car still has not been checked out.. b/c the service dept. has been "busy"....it's supposed to be checked tomorrow .. the dealer won't give me a loaner or pay for a rental.... i will never go back to silver star..... and the service "advisor" is a jerk.... his social skills suck...

i actually wish i broke down out by huntington (farther out in long island)... there is a newer dealer that my salesman now works in (used to be in helms) and he would have taken care of me...
Old 10-09-2002, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
linkage

Sounds like the linkage snapped or became disconnected, the way you describe it (a boxfull of neutrals).
Old 10-10-2002, 12:16 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Would have to agree with Mike T.

As far as the loaner, it is MB policy to provide loaners to their customers (in the USA, anyway). You might want to call the MB office and see if they can do something for you. If nothing else, complain vigorously.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally posted by Mark08859
Would have to agree with Mike T.

As far as the loaner, it is MB policy to provide loaners to their customers (in the USA, anyway). You might want to call the MB office and see if they can do something for you. If nothing else, complain vigorously.
Especially for a Warranty problem which is a product defect. And a big one at that. I would complain to MB directly, they should be able to get the dealer to get you a loaner.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by mctwin2kman
Especially for a Warranty problem which is a product defect. And a big one at that. I would complain to MB directly, they should be able to get the dealer to get you a loaner.
I thought calling MB HQ is a lost cause and a lost of time !!!
From what I have read so far... MB counldn't be anymore indifferent!!!

It would just send you back with a "it's the dealer policy and disretion"

Peace
Old 10-10-2002, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally posted by Benzer

Peace
I would think that if it was a problem that could be fixed quickly and was not a safety concern. I mean it is pretty much a safety and warranty issue if the car can't get out of its own way. Plus the fact that it is a manufacturers defect if the shift linkage breaks or comes loose or the tranny just stops working. At least that is the way it is on the Chrysler side of the equation with there warranty policy.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:12 PM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by Benzer

Peace
this is totally right.... this is the last benz i think i will lease or purchase.... i called the HQ and they said that "it's the dealer policy" to give loaners or pay for a rental... which i got neither.... if the main office can't help a customer, then why would i buy another product from them.... imagine if i was stuck out in florida or something...

attitude.. i live in ny ... don't you think i gave them some??... hahah...... this "attitude" made them finally put my car in the shop

can you believe that the 1st day the tow truck brought it there (9am on tuesday) they didn't even check the car into the shop!!

finally yesterday they did, the problem is a nylon bushing that broke in the linkage... but they had to order the whole shift rod b/c they don't have just the bushing.... and the a-hole was supposed to call me today (friday) before lunch.... it is 1pm.. i dunno what time lunch is for everyone but it's usually between 12-1...

this is the first time i ever had tranny problems from a 92 pontiac grand am to an 89 vw gti to a 97 honda accord v6 to a 99 honda accord 4cyl. 5spd.

oh yeah i did have a 86 olds calias (my first car in 96) where the tranny went... it did have like 160,000 miles, so i give it a lil slack ..... hahah