C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Stinger Battery Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K W203
Stinger Battery Question

Hi guys i need help from battery guru out there. I am thinking about upgrade my battery to Stinger SPV70 (specs as follows)

The SPV70 is the next generation of high performance batteries from Stinger Electronics. The SPV70 utilizes dry cell technology and an ultra-thin lead plate design for a powerful yet compact battery. The advanced design offers an internal resistance of less than 4 milliohms. An absorbed glass mat (AGM) separator utilizes micro fibers to suspend the electrolyte within the battery. There is no fluid to spill or leak and these dry cell batteries are completely sealed and require zero maintenance. Copper alloy terminals ensure proper current transfer and corrosion free operation. The versatility of the SPV70 allows it to be used as a secondary deep cycle battery, marine deep cycle battery, or primary engine start battery. Dimensions are 13 3/4" W x 6 1/2" D x 7 1/2" H (including terminals). The SPV70 is backed by a 12-month warranty.

FeaturesAbsorbed Glass Matt (AGM) Dry Cell Technology
Solid Copper Alloy Top Posts
Maximum Peak Discharge: 2,100 amps
5-Second Cranking Output: 1,050 amps
Cold Cranking Output (CCA): 875 amps
Nominal Capacity (C/20 rate): 70 Ah
Internal Resistance: <0.004 ohms
Dimensions: 13 3/4" W x 6 1/2" D x 6 7/8" H (add 5/8" for posts)

Does this specs work ok? I am worry about long run negative effects they might have on my car's electrical parts such as SAM Unit ECU etc. THanks guys.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
This battery technology has been around for years. It is suitable for deep cycle use for electric motor applications where liquid spills would be hazardous. Examples are vehicles and portable conveyors in grain elevators or food processing plants. These also have applicatins in hospitals, golf carts used indoors (like airports), emergency lighting, and as a back-up battery for low current deep cycle use like entertainment systems on Buses, trucks, motorhomes, and yachts.

These battries are not suitable for SLI service (Starting, Lighting, & Ignition.)
This SLI style is the type of battery in your Benz. Most road cars have a single battery, so it is made to cover all three uses. Lead Acid battries are an old invention, perhaps 3,000 years old if you believe that anchient cultures used them to electropate artifacts found in tombs. Most cars do not have the electric demands that Benz does. In order to service all the electrical consumers, DaimlerChrysler specifies larger than usual battries for its cars.

It is not easy to find these large batteries (mostly made by Varta, but there are other brands) in the aftermarket. The proper battery is available from Mercedes, at a competitive price. They don't mark-up the batteries as much as electronics or trim parts.

One of the undesired by-products of any battery is internal resistance. Automotive engineers have taken this into account, and use it to "soak up" excessive voltage that often appears in car electrical systems. Back EMF is generated when you turn off an electric motor, or any other inductive consumer like relays. I'd worry that a single battery with a very low internal resistance might allow transients harmful to the computers like the SAM, ECU, door and seat modules, and audio system.

The battery you are looking at could be useful as a second battery in a car that had the audio/video system in use for extended periods with the engine
off. It would need to be installed by a pro who could isolate the two batteries, and insure both get charged when the engine is running.

For me, I can't see spending anytime in a car with the engine off in Bangkok. I'd be panting like a St. Bernard in minutes, it's so hot.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K W203
thanks for your useful info. My Bolident battery can not handel the demand of my sound system. I get like flashing interiror lights and sometime i get engine shuts off after long hours of music playin. Thats why I am thinkin of getting the stinger but like you said i am worry about the safty of this high power battery on my car's elec system.

I will consult with car audio shop about adding extra batt for my audio. But would that be too heavy load on the alternator?

have anyone use Puma battery? I heard they are quite good.