C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil change observations, questions, and startup clatter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Oil change observations, questions, and startup clatter.

So, I changed my oil on my 07 last night for the 1st time and just had some questions and observations.

1)Are there only 3 O-rings that need to be replaced on the filter assembly? The OEM filter package I got from the dealer included 6 O-rings. I assume the filter kit fits a couple of models. I replaced the 1 big o-ring at the top of the filter cap, and the 2 smaller (same size) ones on the very end of the filter assembly.

2)After I first started it up after the change, I got some startup clatter/knock for a second or 2. Is this normal as the engine oil needs to saturate the new oil filter? I do get the same startup knock on occasion when the car sits a little bit.

3)I am glad I decided to change the oil the oil fashioned way by removing the drain plug, (As I found my transmission leak, which I never would have found if I didn't remove the engine covers) but what I mess that makes. The plug is nestled on the side of the pan right above the suspension crossmember. When you pull the plug, the oil hits that crossmember and goes everywhere. I have a pneumatic extractor to use for changes from now on.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sedan
i just changed my oil by opening the drain plug.

next time use a rag in front of the drain plug, it'll soak the rag and run straight down into watever ur using to catch the oil

i also had extra o-rings like 5 i think. i just used what i needed and threw the rest away.

oh splinter wat year is ur car cause i have an 06 and my filter doesnt look like that