C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

SMOKED another IS!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by trench
When the heater is running a fan is blowing air through the heater core (which is essentially a little radiator). This will drop the motor's temperature slightly.

I find that the C230K has good highway acceleration. I'm impressed by the car's ability to zip from 80-100 mph.

Cheers, BT
The fan uses the energy produced by the engine - to cool the engine down. It may keep the engine temperature down, but in no way is this going to result in higher output power (which was the point of the statement in the previous post). That would be against the laws of thermodynamics, if you know what this means.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: hm..

Originally posted by Scylas
Not onlyu in chinese culture, but in South America and Europe too...

for example, pour coupe is $29.000 here in FL, its $59.000 in Venezuela (my country).

man, with $59k, you could get a CLK 430 convertible in USA..

by the way my c240 cost $55000 (without tax) in Taiwan.. that make me feel like I am driving a $55k car...
Old 10-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k Coupe
its 40k in Puerto Rico.. and i turn the ac off too!!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by vadim
The fan uses the energy produced by the engine - to cool the engine down. It may keep the engine temperature down, but in no way is this going to result in higher output power (which was the point of the statement in the previous post). That would be against the laws of thermodynamics, if you know what this means.
So you've never seen a series of identical pulls made on a dynometer where the engine loses power due to heat building up. The main effect is that heat soak causes the manifold temperatures to rise, causing the car to retard it's timing. There are other secondary heat effects as well, including heat soak to the rings, which causes radial tension loss, leading to decreases in compression and performance here as well. Therefore, an engine can have more power if it's cooler - but not too cool as some heat is necessary to maintain proper efficiency.

The minuscule amount of electricity required to spin the electric fan can reduce the engine temperature enough so that it can deliver a little more power to the flywheel than is lost by powering the fan (no additional power is created by the engine it's just better using what power it already has).

There are a number of reasons that keep this from voiding thermodynamic laws. A simple one is that by running slightly cooler the motor will have less loss to fricitional forces - this alone can make up for the slight use of electircal power. There are also some thermal efficiency arguments that could be used - but that would require math. Ewww.

- BT
Old 10-15-2002, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by trench
So you've never seen a series of identical pulls made on a dynometer where the engine loses power due to heat building up.
So, obviously, the heater fan is helpless here...

The minuscule amount of electricity required to spin the electric fan can reduce the engine temperature enough so that it can deliver a little more power to the flywheel than is lost by powering the fan.

There are a number of reasons that keep this from voiding thermodynamic laws. A simple one is that by running slightly cooler the motor will have less loss to fricitional forces - this alone can make up for the slight use of electircal power. There are also some thermal efficiency arguments that could be used - but that would require math. Ewww.
- BT
This needs to be proven, really. It's a pure speculation otherwise.
If there was a gain, this teqnique would have been engineered into the engine (the heat doesn't have to be released into the cabin, of course). There is a more efficient fan if front of the radiator, but it isn't spinning all the time the engine is on.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:47 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by BrabusPower
In Chinese culture, parents support children untill they graduate from college, find a job, and become finicial indepent, (some parents keep supporting after that point as well). That's why most of chinese youngsters got their cars by their parents' money..

In Orange County, California, lots of "high school" kids (mostly from Taiwan and Hong Kong) are driving Benz and BMWs, some are even driving Acura NSXs ($110,000 if I am correct)

Another reason why those people are buying good cars in USA is because a Benz or BMW would cost up to 2x the price in their home country because of the high import tax, so they thought it is a pretty good deal to get a Benz or BMW in here. (You know what I mean? when you see something that's 50% off, even the price is still high, but that gives you the will to buy it)
I'll second that idea. Get to know Chinese culture before ratting on young kids.

Rice out what their parents give them is another thing, and that i do not like.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by FrankW
I'll second that idea. Get to know Chinese culture before ratting on young kids.

Rice out what their parents give them is another thing, and that i do not like.

hey, I am not ratting on young kids.. actually I am one of those asian kid who got a benz from parent.. I am just trying to tell people it's because of the nature of our culture, it's not like we are trying to show off or think we are all richer than others and stuff.(at least I'm not). I have several american friends who drive 2nd hand 80's cars (which they bought by themself) but their parents drive S600s, SL500s.. It's just differnt culture.

p.s If i offend anyone, sorry I didn't mean it...

Last edited by BrabusPower; 10-15-2002 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:20 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Talking

BrabusPower:

It's ok to have your parents buy you a benz. Just don't act like you're all rich and proud like the punks over here in Vancouver. Man, those Taiwanese guys are extremely arrogant.

Most importantly, value your car as if you had earned it with your hard earned money
Old 10-15-2002, 06:28 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor coupe, white
Re: Hongers

Originally posted by GTIDAN
I live in Lil Saigon...just south of LA. This place is crawling with Vietnamese driving their tricked out Acuras/Honda Civics. Some are very cool looking but most are not. They don't seem to have much in the way of style. Example: Most seem to think having a spoiler sticking out about a foot on each side of their Civic looks cool. And those stupid lights under the car, in the back window and on the dash. I guess they miss seeing Toyko by night.

My wife is Vietnamese and even she thinks they look pretty dumb. But hey..........

wow...well for those of you who know me, you know that i would not likely be a candidate in defending the vietnamese people, but i have to say something here. You automatically assume that all vietnamese people like the way "their own" modify their cars. Being vietnamese myself, i found what you said about your wife very offensive, seems like you are trying to say that even though she is a viet she is able "think outside the box." Although i agree with you that there are some pretty ugly ricers out there, it does not mean that (1) all rice burners are soley from viets and (2) all viets like rice burners. i think when you make a generalization like that, you automatically prove your ignorance. I guess not all wisdom comes with age.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:45 PM

C Class Coupe 02'
Ok, if you break it all down it all comes down to this. Money cant buy style, thats it, no more cultural comments. And about thermodynamics; you got me haha i was a business major! hahaa
Old 10-15-2002, 07:04 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Viet cars

Easy there Vy Vy....

According to my wife I'm more Vietnamese than most Vietnamese. 95% of all the food I eat is Vietnamese. I respect the culture and their family values. And as I say: I live in the heart of Lil Saigon and love it.

A: I do not think only Viets buy ricer cars.
B: I do not think all Viets like ricer cars.
C: Where I live I see as many benzs and bmws as I do Honda and Acruas. The difference is the Honda and Acruas are being driven by those 18 to 25 year olds and the benz and bmw by a much, much older crowd.

My wife came from Vietnam in 1975 and lived in Tenn and Indiana for close to 20 years. She therefore does see 'out side the box' and I'm so happy for it. For me I live in the best of both worlds. I have the joy of an Asian women with the openess of one who has seen more this world then most.

I hope I put a little more light in your space.

And we both still view hugh spoilers on Civics to be funny.....it's our opinion nothing more.

Perhaps your the one whose assuming to much here.......
Old 10-15-2002, 07:11 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Re: Viet cars

Originally posted by GTIDAN
I have the joy of an Asian women with the openess of one who has seen more this world then most.
Y-Y-Yeah! Now you're talking!
Asian women are great! I like Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, you name it baby! One of the members on this site has a pretty hot Viet/Cambodian g/f. He even has her picture as his avitar.

I forgot his name though. Anyone remember?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:18 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Vietnamese views

To AMG4ME

Not really. My point is that just because she is Vietnamese dosen't mean she agrees with the practice of hugh spoilers on 'lil ol Honda and Acruas. Nothng more. She has her own opinion and like most men and women...it's not always the same as mine.

I'm full blooded Amercian from Nebraska. Does that mean I have to agree with George Bush? No I don't think so.

I have no intent on insulting anyone...if you or anyone else here took it that way you have my apology....

Now back to benzs and other fine things in life...
Old 10-15-2002, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by vadim
So, obviously, the heater fan is helpless here...
I mentioned how maximum engine power decreases in consecutive dynometer measurements because you said in the previous post:

It may keep the engine temperature down, but in no way is this going to result in higher output power"
This led me to believe that you felt that keeping the engine cooler couldn't produce any additional power. Keeping engine temperature down can result in higher output (as long as it's not too cool).

This needs to be proven, really. It's a pure speculation otherwise. If there was a gain, this teqnique would have been engineered into the engine ...
I never said that huge power gains could be realized with the heater technique, just that it wasn't thermodynamically impossible. Automotive engineers design the cooling system to keep the car within a relatively broad operating range (warm enough to run well without getting so hot that deleterious things occur), the motor isn't designed to maximize power by fine-tuning the thermal efficiency. Primarily because there are so many factors altering what would be optimum thermal efficiency for the current operating conditions (load, ambient temperature, etc.) that keeping the engine a couple of degrees cooler doesn't have much benefit under "real-world" conditions, especially since the power gain would be minimal.

Cheers, BT
Old 10-16-2002, 12:17 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by BrabusPower
hey, I am not ratting on young kids.. actually I am one of those asian kid who got a benz from parent.. I am just trying to tell people it's because of the nature of our culture, it's not like we are trying to show off or think we are all richer than others and stuff.(at least I'm not). I have several american friends who drive 2nd hand 80's cars (which they bought by themself) but their parents drive S600s, SL500s.. It's just differnt culture.

p.s If i offend anyone, sorry I didn't mean it...
I didn't say u were ratting on young kid. My dad got me my car.

I have friend's back in high school which their parents drive cars like 996 convertible, Hummer, and give the them El Camino, and Trucks to play with (of course they did a whole lot of things to hot rod them, etc). The point is, like BrabusPower said, we all have different cultures. We are here on this board because we all have interest in one thing, and that is cars.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-16-2002 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

" In Chinese culture, parents support children untill they graduate from college, find a job, and become finicial indepent, (some parents keep supporting after that point as well). That's why most of chinese youngsters got their cars by their parents' money..

In Orange County, California, lots of "high school" kids (mostly from Taiwan and Hong Kong) are driving Benz and BMWs, some are even driving Acura NSXs ($110,000 if I am correct)

Another reason why those people are buying good cars in USA is because a Benz or BMW would cost up to 2x the price in their home country because of the high import tax, so they thought it is a pretty good deal to get a Benz or BMW in here. (You know what I mean? when you see something that's 50% off, even the price is still high, but that gives you the will to buy it) "

WELL SAID!
I learnt something in my organization behavior class....something about cultural difference...let me quote it...

1 of the 4 rules of cultural guide

" Assume differences until similarity is proven. --- Most of us assume that others are more similar to us than they actually are. But people from different countries oftern are very different from us. So you are far less likelyy to make an error if you assume other are different from you rather than assuming similarity until difference is proven"

I am one of the kid who get my car from my parents, and i am thankful to them....I agree that there are many snobs who do not appreciate what they have...but the snobs DOES includes ppl all over the world...american, asians, africans..whatever!

Also, FrankW...i like what you said....We are here for our car..and there have been some tension nowadays between our unnecessary issues....maybe we should cut it down.

P/S : My car cost 90k USD in malaysia...and 100K USD in singapore....speaking of a cheap mercedes? i can get a SL 500 over here!
Old 10-16-2002, 05:55 PM

2000 E-class
Agree with BrabusPower, in chinese culture (any other asian culture) the parent have to support their kids until they have graduated from college, and after that, the kids must support their parents.

secondly: those students are mostly international students, without their parent living with them, so that their parents want the kids to be safe by driving one of the safest car, like BMW and Mercedes benz, not like KIA or Hyundai. So it is not a matter of arrogant or not.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Originally posted by yipikaye
those students are mostly international students, without their parent living with them, so that their parents want the kids to be safe by driving one of the safest car, like BMW and Mercedes benz, not like KIA or Hyundai. So it is not a matter of arrogant or not.
Some of those punks sure act arrogant. You should see their faces man. They act as if they're above you!
Old 10-16-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by JKDBENZ

ps thats the second IS i've smoked for those that missed it so no its not a fluke.
Wow how did you get it past your lips ? You gotta have some really big mouth and a really big match.

Last edited by viper; 10-16-2002 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by yipikaye

secondly: those students are mostly international students, without their parent living with them, so that their parents want the kids to be safe by driving one of the safest car, like BMW and Mercedes benz, not like KIA or Hyundai. So it is not a matter of arrogant or not.
Are you talking about me? =P
That's exactly why my mom got me this benz 'coz she thinks my driving skill sucks...

p.s. glad I got benz instead of Volvo, which was my mom's first choice.. man, benz looks a lot nicer...

Last edited by BrabusPower; 10-16-2002 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Big Sheesh
Some of those punks sure act arrogant. You should see their faces man. They act as if they're above you!
They just never grow up... sigh...
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
Re: Re: SMOKED another IS!!!!

Originally posted by young
the coupe can beat an IS? according to lexus, their 0-60 is 6.8 seconds. the coupe is what? 7.8? not sure as the mbusa website doesn't say - but edmunds has it at 7.8seconds. are you sure they were trying?
OK ...BACK to the subject....good kill....surprising....yet still a good kill. I barely beat my friends IS with my c320...(posted it long ago)....dont know how u did it...must be cuz the heater was off hee hee.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:14 AM

Lexus GS 450h
If u have a MERCEDES BENZ and have to cut off the A/C and radio to make the car faster, you are out of your league. Better off in a new Altima or something.....

I am calling B.S by the way. The IS 300 has the same I-6 in the GS 300 and Sc 300 and Supra, it is slow off the line, but it is a HIGHWAY beast.. Seriously, it opens up at speed.

So what really happened?
Old 10-19-2002, 01:31 PM

C Class Coupe 02'
Look i'm not bs-ing, you might have all these stats on car comparison but you have to take into consideration the driver! hehe maybe he wasnt willing to go all the way, well i was and i won. End of story
Old 10-19-2002, 02:40 PM

Lexus GS 450h
GIANTS SUCK!
Dang dude, we won't agree AT ALL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SMOKED another IS!!!!