C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Initial Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI Elegance auto
Initial Issues

Hi

Had car 6 weeks now, 4500 miles. Going in today to have 12 volt supply fitted in boot like the estate (wagon).

Some issues I have asked them to look at:

1) Car pulling slightly to left.
2) Chrome trim around gear lever lifting up slightly at back and pulls up very easily from centre console.
3) When acelerating out of a left hand bend, hear a vibration sound like a metal plate vibrating. Not always apparent.
4) Park on hill at night. When put in park and apply parking brake then release foot brake, car rolls back slightly with a creaking sound as if brake is slipping.

Apart from this, love the car and providing these are fixed fairly minor issues.

Anyone else had any of these problems.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
in the US, the car drifts to the right. in the UK, the car drifts to the left. go figure.

as far as the metal plate rattling, check to make sure your heat shield is not loose. mine was, and they tightened it up for me. no more vibration noise.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by session
in the US, the car drifts to the right. in the UK, the car drifts to the left. go figure.
Hm... interesting... Maybe id DOES have something to do with the road profile? They drive on the left side in the UK. Or is that indeed the geometry of the steering mechanism? It is transposed in the RHD cars, as well.. go figure...
Old 10-16-2002, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by C230Jeff
It's the crown
This drifting is even more pronounced with wider tires. You will notice this more on a two-lane road, and less on a major super highway.
Your right. With the C7 tires, my car follows every crack in the road. Keep in mind I drive 40 miles of highway construction each day. The road is littered with cracks, transitions, lane shifts, gound pavement, etc. When I switch over to the 16" snows, the drifting goes away.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:45 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Would you believe it, I went to pick my car up tonight and the service guy said that they had checked out the vibration noise that was apparent occasionally when accelerating from left hand bend.

They have to REPLACE the automatic transmission totally as there was some metal filings present. Mercedes have ok'ed a total replacement. This car is only 6 WEEKS OLD. The onboard computer had recorded faults that were not visible to me and it was at stage 2. Next stage means total shutdown of car. I cannot believe it, will not get it back until next week. I now have a loaner from them, a Nissan Primera as I would not accept keeping the A Class that they had provided for the day. The A Class I hated, should have a Chrysler badge on it, it was crap.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by Apollo
Hi

Would you believe it, I went to pick my car up tonight and the service guy said that they had checked out the vibration noise that was apparent occasionally when accelerating from left hand bend.

They have to REPLACE the automatic transmission totally as there was some metal filings present. Mercedes have ok'ed a total replacement. This car is only 6 WEEKS OLD. The onboard computer had recorded faults that were not visible to me and it was at stage 2. Next stage means total shutdown of car. I cannot believe it, will not get it back until next week. I now have a loaner from them, a Nissan Primera as I would not accept keeping the A Class that they had provided for the day. The A Class I hated, should have a Chrysler badge on it, it was crap.
sorry to hear; don't let that problem blur your vision of the C230K's reliability. mine (as well as many others here) has been rock solid.

hey, at least it's under warranty and you aren't paying for a tranny swap out of pocket
Old 10-16-2002, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a sign of things to come. I had an '84 190 that had the manual transmission replaced after a month or so, wouldn't shift into reverse. It doesn't get any better, really.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:23 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
HERE WE GO ,,,,
lots of diffs lately,,,no trannys yet ,diffs on c230k 's are dropping like flies
Old 10-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Just a sign of things to come. I had an '84 190 that had the manual transmission replaced after a month or so, wouldn't shift into reverse. It doesn't get any better, really.
But Apollo, at least you can drop by for a car wash on your loaner, and free tea and crumpits in the courtesy lounge, right?

At least you have a proactive dealer who finds problems you didn't even know you had. That's good in my book. I'd be surprised if Mercedes was immune to tranny build-ups with small metal shavings. You drive a fine car. Don't let the negativism here taint your experience.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:35 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
MR BOB ,
i like your attitude,my dealer is proactive to find work .
we like to do this ,,however people take this action to sometime mean they bougt a peice of junk..

no true
Old 10-16-2002, 06:19 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with the dealer service, no bull sh*t just get on with whats needed, that is the way I like being dealt with. I am finding it more funny than anything at the moment. Like, a Mercedes that was not cheap and 6 weeks old and needing a new gearbox. As long as they sort it and it is not a re-occuring issue then I will be ok.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:58 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I had a friend who couldn't drive his new Corvette the 35 miles from dealer to home before the engine packed it in. Chevrolet dropped a new motor in that puppy and he grinned from ear to ear for the next 5-6 years. It happens to all cars on occassion.