C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fuel Injection Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Fuel Injection Service

I have the use of a second car for about a week, so I thought I would take my injectos off, and have them balanced and blueprinted at RC Engineering in Torrance.

Any thoughts on special procedures?

Say, how to get the fuel pressure out of the line. Once the rail is disconnected, is there anything special to removing the injectors, or do they just twist off?

Once I have the injectors out, I'll find out how many grommets/seals I need.

E
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
I have the use of a second car for about a week, so I thought I would take my injectos off, and have them balanced and blueprinted at RC Engineering in Torrance.

Say, how to get the fuel pressure out of the line. Once the rail is disconnected, is there anything special to removing the injectors, or do they just twist off?

E
Wish I could help you, E. But I don't even know what they did for mine. What I do know is that it worked and my AFR was awesome after they did it. Only problem now is gas consumption, which is killing me...LOL.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I am always careful to remove the wires gingerly because the heat in the area makes the connector housings and insulation brittle. Clean the connector pins with contact spray just prior to re-installation. There are always a number of tiny hoses in any injection system. On a car more than four years out of the factory it is false economy to leave them in. The movement involved with removing the injectors causes them to break down more quickly than if you just did not touch them. You don't want to turn into a Car-B-Cue on the 405. Most fuel hose has a SAE "J" spec on them, make sure you get the same spec if you go aftermarket. With Mercedes, however, even matching the spec gets you a hose with shorter service life than OEM hose.

I am not sure about your car, but my car has a schrader valve on the fuel loop for connection to a pressure gauge for service. My pressure gauge has a relief valve and a hose to direct the spritz fom the loop to a safe container outside the engine compartment.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Any issues with the subsequent installation?

Trust you liberated a few more HP and improved throttle response/drivability! Do tell...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife

E
Edit for everyone (yes, I just noticed the date):

You're gonna leak some fuel, so that silver fulel line that you'll be handling, disconnect it on the farthest end first and catch the ounce with a cloth. On the M271, the injectors are held down by the fuel rail (two bolts), and clipped on by connectors that'll be obvious as to how they disconnect. The injectors themselves are probably rubber gasketed, but replace those anyway since RC will do the cleaning/blueprinting.

Oh, a word of caution, all the RC injectors are either shorter or longer than stock (I forget), so you'll need additional rubber grommets stacked upon each other, or some other type of rubber shim.

Good luck though!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by mig888
Edit for everyone (yes, I just noticed the date):

You're gonna leak some fuel, so that silver fulel line that you'll be handling, disconnect it on the farthest end first and catch the ounce with a cloth. On the M271, the injectors are held down by the fuel rail (two bolts), and clipped on by connectors that'll be obvious as to how they disconnect. The injectors themselves are probably rubber gasketed, but replace those anyway since RC will do the cleaning/blueprinting.

Oh, a word of caution, all the RC injectors are either shorter or longer than stock (I forget), so you'll need additional rubber grommets stacked upon each other, or some other type of rubber shim.

Good luck though!

The irony here is overwhelming. Here is what I spent the week doing. Yes I enjoyed the use of a 330xi for about a week. Fun car, and full of amenities. The plan was to take the injectors out Friday, then pick them up on Monday.....INSTEAD...I was putting together my X1/9 with major assitance from a fellow X head. We had the car all together, and upon firing, quickly found that we were running on two cylinders.

Seems I had the injectors cleaned at RC for the Fiat, and didn't install them for over 6 months. The injectors clogged, and had to be cleaned out. RC had no problems unclogging them, and replacing all of the injector filters. But the headache of the diagnosis took some time. I thought it was a Bosch ECU issue in the L-Jetronic system. Which, BTW, requires that you unlearn anything about modern day FI systems in order to diagnose problems on a system designed close to 30 yrs ago.

Read my blog if you want to find out why I reek of gas while I type. I think I'm going to concentrate on the Fiat for a bit, because that car makes me so damn happy to drive it. I'll do the injectors on the Coupe sometime before the 150k mark.

E