C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Stupid question of the week - Driver's head rest removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 08:49 AM
taylor192

Stupid question of the week - Driver's head rest removal

OK I read the manual, and tried removing the back head rests, easy, just lift and they come right out.

The front head rests on the driver's and passenger's seat do not come out when lifted all the way up.

No comments about why I am removing it, I know its not safe.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 bluetec
I also have the same question and yes I also did read the manaul. Push the button and lift... well this does not work...

and there are many valid reasons for wanting to remove the headrest...

For me... I put my 2yr old daughter in the rear right seat. Problem is the rear windows curve up and she cannot see out the side window and she is also sitting behind the front passenger seat, which again is blocking her view. My wife sits next to her behind me, so removing the headrest from the front passenger seat is not a safety issue, I'll store it in the trunk, if anyone sits in the front passenger seat I'll put it back...

A 2yr old with blinders on, is not condusive to maintaining your sanity in the car...
Old 10-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Removing headrests

Hi Guys,
I don't have the answer, but I too want to be able to remove the headrests for the driver's and front passenger's seats. I haven't tried it yet, but from your comments seems there is more to it then meets the eye. I am thinking about having sheepskin seat covers made (to soften the too firm seats, I hope) and I will need to remove the headrests to install them. I don't want the headrest covered. So if I find the answer, I'll pass it on.
Deb
Old 10-23-2002, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by loungeliz
A 2yr old with blinders on, is not condusive to maintaining your sanity in the car...
LMAO

Erik
Old 10-23-2002, 12:55 PM

2010 ML350 bluetec
funny how you don't realize you're not alone in a problem until someone posts it... I was worried about yanking too hard as I didn't want to be responsible for breaking anything...

Anyhow, after reading that others are in a similar situation and I am close to my MB dealer I decided to pop in during lunch.

From what I saw, the story is that you just push the headrest button and pull up/yank, HARD. (at least this is for the non-power seat, from owners manual it seems the power seats may be different...)

If you're not comfortable with how hard you're pulling, let the dealer do it, better them breaking it than you...
Old 10-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Yup, works fine

Hi Guys,
I just tried removing the headrests following the manual's instructions. Easy to do, you just have to get a little physical with it on the last pop. Also it helps to recline the seat back a bit to clear the ceiling.
Deb
Old 10-23-2002, 02:00 PM
taylor192

Re: Yup, works fine

Originally posted by Deb
Easy to do, you just have to get a little physical with it on the last pop. Also it helps to recline the seat back a bit to clear the ceiling.
I actually never thought of reclining the seat back to do it.
This is my first big pruchase and I'm a little hesitant about "getting a little physical" with it... but I'll try again.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:11 PM
JeT

Re: Re: Yup, works fine

Originally posted by taylor192
I actually never thought of reclining the seat back to do it.
This is my first big pruchase and I'm a little hesitant about "getting a little physical" with it... but I'll try again.
Hey, its a Merc...it can take. And besides...treat em mean, keep em keen!