C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 7 speeds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by raklert
6 speed 7 speed 8 speed big deal people!! MB has never been good with their tranny development. THere is a new tech call DSG an atumatic with two cluctches. Zero lag! In case some of you may have not heard of DSG then check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o

THis is the future of all gearboxes, unless Merc change to DSG my next car will be an Audi or VW.
riiiiight, that's why the R8, and the whole RS line uses DSG's......
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by kc2007
...It ONLY ask for people who are willing to help..you are not mechanics so don't pretend...
You got me dude. None of the tools in my garage have ever been touched. They're for display only.
I'll **** on another thread next time.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes C230k Coupe
We said ~

Originally Posted by Ogpogo
Heres a basic layout of gear selections and what they do.

If your gear selector is in:
1 - first gear - from a stop wont leave 1st gear.
2 - second gear - from a stop goes from first to second gear.
3 - third gear - from a stop goes from first through third.
4 - fourth gear - from a stop goes from first through fourth
5 - fifth gear - from a stop goes from first through fifth
6 - sixth gear - from a stop goes from first through sixth
7 - SEVENTH GEAR - from a stop automatic transmission has full 1 - 7 gear range under automatic control. Fully Automatic Function.

The point being, that mercedes knows that since the top speed of the car cant even top out 6 gear, so why would someone use seventh and not just D anyways? 7th gear is a cruising gear, not a accelerating gear and therefore would have no purpose under enthusiast driving conditions.
Originally Posted by splinter
Originally Posted by e1000
actually, it has 9 gears, 7 forward and 2 reverse

Yet..

Anyway, I guess I will just forget it then. 7 speeds it is, whatever. No one can explain it.

How are we supposed to explain things like this to you if you do not READ?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by splinter
Sorry, a bro has my W203 (722.6xx) service DVD. When it finds its way home, I’ll get that info to you pronto.
Thank you very much!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:24 AM

C200K W203
Originally Posted by e1000
riiiiight, that's why the R8, and the whole RS line uses DSG's......
What you mean? you can find it in all Audi and VW cars such as TT and Golf and even Mitsu evo10 will equip with this baby and whopping 400hp. sounds like fun eh!?

Kc2007 you need to chill bro no hard feelings
Old 08-31-2007, 06:11 AM

2007 C230SS
its actually a 14 speed - 7 speed on "C" and another 7 speed on "S" - but wait think about it 16 speed if you add the reverse in "C" and "S" mode.. LOL
Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by raklert
What you mean? you can find it in all Audi and VW cars such as TT and Golf and even Mitsu evo10 will equip with this baby and whopping 400hp. sounds like fun eh!?

Kc2007 you need to chill bro no hard feelings
none of thier high performance cars use the DSG.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirtdiggler
its actually a 14 speed - 7 speed on "C" and another 7 speed on "S" - but wait think about it 16 speed if you add the reverse in "C" and "S" mode.. LOL
Thats not true either. The C and S have nothing to do with different gears, it is simply a different behavior pattern for the transmission that allows it to start from a stop in second (to try to prevent slippage on loose or icy surfaces) as well as lower shifting points (rpm wise). Same gears, different way of using them.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
This forum appears to be "owned" by a few smart asses. If anyone asks something they already know, they are going to have issues. Wow what a holes these guys, I mean get off it already why be such d*&^s and monitor the topics and get on someone's back just because they are asking a question. Again, if you don't like what's being asked just stay off don't response that's it. It ONLY ask for people who are willing to help.

Should some of you work in a shop or something, you are not mechanics so don't pretend you know everything pls you are just a bunch of die hard MB fan barely bought a used coupe and now think you are the ****. Please be nice, life is beautiful we should all get along.

Anyway, I guess I will just forget it then. 7 speeds it is, whatever. No one can explain it.
Dude, why are you getting so sensitive about this? So many people get owned when they post something like this. Yes, there are many that haven't. Yes, there are many that are both mechanics AND MB enthusiasts. Yes, everybody has made sense in their explanations, even though in your mind it is harsh because you are taking the grunt of the ridicule.

Look, it's as simple as thinking about a 5 speed manual. If you've driven a 5 speed manual before, most people know that the only time that 5th gear is really ever used is for cruising. Since an automatic transmission is made to shift for the driver, most automatic transmissions have D has the "go mode". But, if you were to even look back on older models (4G auto tranny), there would be 1-S-3-D or F-S-3-D. It would never say 1-2-3-4-D because there were only 4 gears.

With the 7-G auto tranny 1-6 are the predominant gears that are used. "D" on an automatic transmission represents All 7 gears, including 7th gear. The 1-6 that displays on the instrument panel incorporate that particular gear that is indicated and all the gears prior to, just as Ogpogo had explained to you.

In the 5G auto tranny that was in years 2001-2005, you would have 1-2-3-4-D. The 5th gear is the cruising gear and would only need to be indicated in D mode. Since 5th gear represents the last gear in the transmission, there's no need to display that in an auto transmission because in an automatic because you need to get through all the prior gears in order to get to 5th gear anyway.

The way that the auto tranny works on a Benz is not like Volkswagon, Audi, BMW, where the "manual" mode is seperated from the functionality of the "auto" mode. In other words, you don't need to move the shifter over to put the car in "manual" mode. All you need to do is push left to down shift, right to up shift.

Does that make things more clear?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bla bla
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Dude, why are you getting so sensitive about this? So many people get owned when they post something like this. Yes, there are many that haven't. Yes, there are many that are both mechanics AND MB enthusiasts. Yes, everybody has made sense in their explanations, even though in your mind it is harsh because you are taking the grunt of the ridicule.

Look, it's as simple as thinking about a 5 speed manual. If you've driven a 5 speed manual before, most people know that the only time that 5th gear is really ever used is for cruising. Since an automatic transmission is made to shift for the driver, most automatic transmissions have D has the "go mode". But, if you were to even look back on older models (4G auto tranny), there would be 1-S-3-D or F-S-3-D. It would never say 1-2-3-4-D because there were only 4 gears.

With the 7-G auto tranny 1-6 are the predominant gears that are used. "D" on an automatic transmission represents All 7 gears, including 7th gear. The 1-6 that displays on the instrument panel incorporate that particular gear that is indicated and all the gears prior to, just as Ogpogo had explained to you.

In the 5G auto tranny that was in years 2001-2005, you would have 1-2-3-4-D. The 5th gear is the cruising gear and would only need to be indicated in D mode. Since 5th gear represents the last gear in the transmission, there's no need to display that in an auto transmission because in an automatic because you need to get through all the prior gears in order to get to 5th gear anyway.

The way that the auto tranny works on a Benz is not like Volkswagon, Audi, BMW, where the "manual" mode is seperated from the functionality of the "auto" mode. In other words, you don't need to move the shifter over to put the car in "manual" mode. All you need to do is push left to down shift, right to up shift.

Does that make things more clear?

Yes and no, if there is a 7th gear the display needs to say 7 after 6. Not D.
D like you said and to me is a "go mode", since when a go mode become a gear in itself. So let me make this simple, there are 7 gears:

D (GO MODE, this is NOT a gear, it mean go forward with all gears whichever is most suited)

AGAIN, AND AGAIN SO WHERE THE HELL IS THE 7TH GEAR?

IF 7TH GEAR INDEED IS AFTER 6TH, THEN MB IS NOT DISPLAYING IT. THAT'S WHY I KEPT ASKING.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I was going to stay out of this post, but I just can't help myself. Did you read the PDF file that Splinter posted? That is a very detailed, and quite interesting (To me at least), on the design and operation of the 7G-Tronic.

Simple test. From a stop, tap the shifter to the left. The dash will display "1". Now drive the car up to highway speeds upshifting through each gear until the display reads "6". Verify that the transmission did indeed shift 5 times (6 gears). Now tap the shifter to the right. You will feel the transmission shift again, and the display will read "D". That is the 7th gear. MB doesn't display "7", but that doesn't mean it is not 7 speeds. That is just how they engineered it, whether customers like it or not.

After all the information in external links, and all the posts here, don't convince you the transmission is indeed a 9 speed (7 forward and 2 reverse), then I hate to say there is no hope for you
Old 08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
D like you said and to me is a "go mode", since when a go mode become a gear in itself. So let me make this simple, there are 7 gears:

D (GO MODE, this is NOT a gear, it mean go forward with all gears whichever is most suited)

IF 7TH GEAR INDEED IS AFTER 6TH, THEN MB IS NOT DISPLAYING IT. THAT'S WHY I KEPT ASKING.
Again, what makes you so angry (all caps)?...LOL. I'm answering your question with what is available. If you feel it is worth of taking MB to court, that's your perogative.

It is logical to me because the Auto setup on MB's have always been designed this way, with the 4G auto, 5G auto and now the 7G auto. It's not like the other manufacturers (as I stated) that have a seperate trip-tronic/smg/etc... where it shows all the gears. Actually, now that I think about it, when I had my Mitsubishi Galant loaner, if I put it in manu-matic (i.e. manual w/o a clutch) mode, the gearing was 1-2-3-4-D also.

It's up to you, just stating to you what is there on the car and that it definitely is a 7G transmission. Early build 7G autos on the C class had a more jerky feel, so you could feel every single gear it the tranny was shifting into and count all the way to 7. I'm sure you can still do that with your car and see when the RPM's change from stop to 7th gear.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 PM

I hope you arent just someone trying to screw your buddies account
Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Ok, this has dragged on long enough. CLOSED