C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My solution to the mobile audio problem

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
My solution to the mobile audio problem

i hate CD's. a lot. they get scratched, theres so many of them, etc. and yet i didnt want to purchase an iPod, since i'd never use it unless i was driving. being in the military, i spend a lot of time in my car in the never ending pursuit of avoiding work. alpine is the only (or one of the only) companies that makes steering wheel control interface for our cars. alpine also makes head units with very high quality signal processors and equalizers.... so here was my mobile media solution. i wanted lots of music, wanted a touchscreen. wanted to keep steering wheel controls. wanted a quick, easy way to navigate through the stores of music.

EDIT: should add that there is obviously no touchscreen, that was one feature i sacrificed.... but with the perks of this unit, a touchscreen is not necessary.

this is the solution for many folks out there. faster than a changer, hold more music than most people can shake a stick at, and super easy to set up. the interface is almost identical to an iPod.

Alpine iDA-X001. its an iPod interface. nothing else. just radio and USB port. front/rear/sub preouts, but i'm not going to get into detail since you can look it up yourself on alpines website. found one slightly used for $300 versus the sticker of $400 at best buy.

30 Gig iPod video or whatever it is, $250.

together, they work flawlessly. unfortunately i dont have the steering wheel control interface as i also purchased an XBOX360 Elite this weekend, draining my bank account, so i'll have to reach all the way over to the head unit to turn the volume up or down.

Last edited by kompressor85; 09-05-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
We put that into my friends Vette over the summer... Works pretty good. He got the BT kit for his phone too. That lets him look through his numbers and dial. If you don't want to use an ipod with that, you can also use a USB flash drive. Personally, if I didn't already have an ipod I would go with just a flash drive!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
i hear you on that- however with a bulk USB flash drive, i could store almost as much music, but what about ease of use? i doubt it'dhave the iPod's ease of searching by artist or album.