C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-15-2015, 02:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

New MAF= engine stutter/hesitation

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
car stalls but still drives.

Hi there,
I don't know too much about cars. I am a 24 years old female and I am kind of looking for help in finding out what kind of problem my car has. I drive a 2001 C240 and the problem it has been giving me is that my car stalls. When I say it stalls it doesn't shut down completly, it still runs but everything in the car itself is off. For exemble the Km meter is all the way down to 0, The gaz meter is all the way down to 0, radio is off, Signal doesn't work. But for some reason the car is still running. If I restart the car everything works back to normal. Do you smart mens have an idea what might be the issue with my car?

Thank you
Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Your main problem is that you have a 2001; as this is the first year for these cars, there are tons of issues with them.
My suggestion to you is to get it inspected by a local independent shop that specializes in MBs or at least German cars; given your admission about cars, any of the normal options that would be given to you would be best looked at by the shop. The fact that it still drives (and doesn't really stall out; this would be classified more as a short in the electronics somewhere, battery starting to go bad, bad alternator or relay, or any of many other possible electronic gremlins in the system) means that it will most likely be ok to drive for a short time, but you should get it looked at sooner rather than later.

And not for nothing, but this isn't a bar, so the "smart mens" comment really won't get you very far here.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Originally Posted by tommy
Your main problem is that you have a 2001; as this is the first year for these cars, there are tons of issues with them.
My suggestion to you is to get it inspected by a local independent shop that specializes in MBs or at least German cars; given your admission about cars, any of the normal options that would be given to you would be best looked at by the shop. The fact that it still drives (and doesn't really stall out; this would be classified more as a short in the electronics somewhere, battery starting to go bad, bad alternator or relay, or any of many other possible electronic gremlins in the system) means that it will most likely be ok to drive for a short time, but you should get it looked at sooner rather than later.

And not for nothing, but this isn't a bar, so the "smart mens" comment really won't get you very far here.
Thank you soo much for your reply. I will take it to a MB dealer as soon as possible.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Wow a young lady on the forum I am surprised you didn't get ambushed on here! Just turned 24 myself I feel so old now it sucks
You should post a few pictures and tell us more about your car and stick around we are a fun group and are always interested in hearing about your experiences and options.
How long has this been going on? Does it every come and go? Curious what you find out keep us updated hope you have a good indy/dealer close by to help!

just to clarify I was saying you should post pics of car not yourself that would be creepy!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
How did you know you needed a MAF? Did you remove it and bench test it? Did you run without for a while and things improved? I woud say on the C-class, more often than not, fuel trim errors are caused by a vacuum leak, especially if the car is running rough.

So do this, disconnect the MAF and drive around. The car should behave pretty close to normal. If it's still running rough, then it's not the MAF, check for vacuum leaks. If it runs well without the MAF, it's defective or if you got in on ebay or in a yard sale it's the wrong one (VW/Audi MAF's by Bosch look identical, cost much less and are not the same by any means).

It could be a fuel pressure issue, just put a fuel pressure guage on the rail and check, should be about 3.8 bar or 50PSI. Fuel pressure issues would not give you fuel trim errors, it would give you P030x codes for misfires.
Sorry to revive and old thread but since a C32 is a C class will disconnecting Maf sensor yield same results? I'm dealing with a p0303 mostly but today for first time I start car and it hesitated prior to turning on and running fine..the coil packs swapped from 3 to 1 and new plugs and swapped out wires between 3 to 1. I don't get any codes if I drive within 1 minute of starting car. So far codes only appear if I freshly start car and let it warm up on idle. I even had a engine light go on saying p0303 and while driving roughly 100 miles light went away. I usually drive car on weekends so don't really notice anything til weekend.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
S55
Being MAF'ed as we speak.