C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New C320 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New C320 Owner

Hello everybody,

This is my first post. I'm a new owner of a brilliant silver 2002 C320 with the Sports Package. This is my third MB, after a '96 C220 and a '99 C280 . So far I've put close to 3000 miles on it in the last three weeks. Except for occasional side mirror drifting, the car runs like a swiss watch and I'm very, very .

Glad to be on board!
Old 01-05-2002, 11:38 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Congratulations...

..to your new car. I think we are all glad to have you on board
Post some more info about your new baby (and some pics if possible)!

Drive carefully.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Howdy Dum:
Welcome & Congrats on the new 320. I haven't noticed any mirror drift in mine, but I am monitoring the steering for a slight pull to the right. It may warrant a new thread/dealer visit.
Enjoy your C320
Old 01-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Welcome Dummkopf! We already have a few knuckleheads on the forum, but you're the first to own up to it by name (just couldn't resist having some fun, ha).

Congrats on your new 320. I love mine, too. Since you had a 280, I'd be interested in your comparisons of the two. I seriously looked at the '99 280, but decided to wait when I heard the car was to be redesigned for 2001.

So, when you have some time, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the two cars, such as the difference in steering feel (rack and pinion vs. recirc. ball), build solidness, ride, engines, etc.

Have fun.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:30 PM

Thanks to all for the on board welcome, and particularly to MB-Bob for his “knucklehead” welcome.

BTW my ‘99 C280 also had the sports package and was really a great car - was never in the shop except for scheduled maintenance. I first decided to buy the C320 when I first saw the pictures of the redesigned 2001- the styling in MHO was absolutely stunning! I waited a year to buy it only because my rule of thumb is to always wait at least one year before buying a new model.

As far as the main differences between the C280 and C320, I believe it’s mostly in the styling, the “bells and whistles”, i.e., the smart keys, the Tiptronic transmission, the rain sensor (fantastic), etc. The steering, ride, solidness is equal to the C280. The engine of the 320 is of course a dream! My only downer is the LED display - could have been a lot brighter during daytime. Here in Southern California, where the sun always shines, I need to sometimes really squint to read the display - may of course be due to my advancing age!

Nevertheless, a great car and one of MB’s finest.

P.S. I’m thinking of adding the flat emblem and the Schatz grill - the C320 styling seems to ask for it!
Old 01-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Dummkopf
P.S. I’m thinking of adding the flat emblem and the Schatz grill - the C320 styling seems to ask for it!
I was interested in the same thing. However, I'm doing it in stages... first was to replace the upright star with the flat badge. Now that this part is done, I can't convince myself to go to stage two and get the Schatz grill.

Part of me thinks that the Stock grill with the flat badge is "stealthy" while the flat badge and the tristar in the Schatz grill is slightly overkill... too many emblems? I don't know why MB puts two emblems (as stock) on their CL, SL, etc., Coupes. The tristar in the grill is fine, but why not have a plain hood?

Anyway, still debating among myself (saw "A Beautiful Mind" yesterday, so I can do that, right?)
Old 01-06-2002, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Part of me thinks that the Stock grill with the flat badge is "stealthy" while the flat badge and the tristar in the Schatz grill is slightly overkill... too many emblems? I don't know why MB puts two emblems (as stock) on their CL, SL, etc., Coupes. The tristar in the grill is fine, but why not have a plain hood?
Personally (and I know you've heard me say this before), I like the stock grill and upright star on my C240 sedan. That said, if you want to change it, I don't think the star on the grill competes with the flat badge, because drivers approaching your car won't see or notice the flat badge anway, let alone see the actual star emblem on it. I look at the flat badge as being a finishing "seal" so to speak to embellish the hood, as a fine jewelry mark (or something ) I do agree that the big star on the grill is not "stealthy". (little voice -- put the upright star back on).
Old 01-06-2002, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Congrats on the new C320. I am also a new owner (1 week so far) and am very happy with the car so far.

What is the difference in engines between the C280 and the C320 as far as HP and Touque?

I haven't seen (or noticed) any new C series that have removed the hood emblem and replaced it with the flat grill one. I myself like the way that the original one looks and don't think I would switch, but I am very interested in seeing the difference. MB-BOB, can you post a picture of your work so far?

Much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:00 AM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
couple of guys on c32life that did that

They have the flat star as well as the grille with the star in it. they look really nice but I agree with some of the others and like it the way that it is. The flat star and grille with star reminds me of a coupe rather than a sedan. But to each his or her own. I can appreciate all of them.. even the magma red.... as long as its in your driveway. Check the member pics of link below.
Link is www.C32life.com
Old 01-07-2002, 09:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Thanks for the link vinmanc32. After seeing the pictures, I do prefer the original for myself. I like the "classic" look of the hood orniment. But if I were to change, I think I would go with both the flat hood emblem, and the grill.

I think that MB uses both on the Coupes etc. for the very reason that you listed... It's less stealth. If people can't see the star, then they may not think it's a MB. Better marketing if they can see it . Just my opinion here.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:55 AM

Here's a pic of the C with the flat emblem and grill with star. Looks kinda sleek!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
It does have a more "sporty" look than the original. If I had the C32 I might consider it. Or maybe even the sport package on the C320 (I do not have this).

Thanks for the pic!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:40 AM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
that looks like a euro model

if you notice there are no yellow lights on the side as markers and on the bumper you notice the indentations. Those are for Parktronic which they dont offer here. They have it on the S class here but not the C. I like the flat hood ornament also, but I like the raised star more on the sedan. But do what ever makes you happy in your new MB and enjoy it!!