C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Phone prewiring, Euro vs US..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230 Kompressor - Sport
Phone prewiring, Euro vs US..

Hey every1..
I have a '05 C230k Sport from the US.
since i live in Iceland, EU. I was wondering if i could plug up a phone and use it here? The car does have wires running up to the upper box of the center compartment (Called phone prewiring?) Any1 know about it?
And btw, didn't find it by searching but is there any EU vs. US thread?

Best regards.. Klaufi
Old 09-28-2007, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Hiya Klaufi
The prewiring for a NAFTA car has DC, wakeup, CANbus, and ground wires in connectors for the several boxes needed to make a phone call through the Head Unit or using the steering wheel controls. The phone needs a box that connects it to the antenna (puppy dog tail on the rear), another box that interfaces to the MOST fiber optic bus in the car, and yet another box to cradle the long obsolete Motorola V60 phone in the center console.

As you have no doubt discovered the NAFTA head unit does not tune AM radio stations properly, and a portion of the FM is no bed of roses either.

I would check with your dealer to see if a phone it is still available. The kit is cheaper than spare parts, and they may have killer pricing because of the age of the car. Installation of the parts is easy enough, but you need to have a dealer program the head unit to use the phone function. Mercedes calls it version coding.

Personally, I have a more modern "yack slab" that is smaller, lighter, and has more features useful to me than the Mercedes solution to talking on the go.

For me, I just push the MUTE button when the phone rings, and say hello to Mr. Bluetooth.

One last consideration is the cellular system used in Iceland. I am not sure what the infrastructure is, but it is most likely newer and better than that in the US. That may also limit your chances of using the car's OEM system.

I have never used a phone in Iceland, too many blondes to waste time on the phone!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230 Kompressor - Sport
Originally Posted by Moviela
Hiya Klaufi
The prewiring for a NAFTA car has DC, wakeup, CANbus, and ground wires in connectors for the several boxes needed to make a phone call through the Head Unit or using the steering wheel controls. The phone needs a box that connects it to the antenna (puppy dog tail on the rear), another box that interfaces to the MOST fiber optic bus in the car, and yet another box to cradle the long obsolete Motorola V60 phone in the center console.

As you have no doubt discovered the NAFTA head unit does not tune AM radio stations properly, and a portion of the FM is no bed of roses either.

I would check with your dealer to see if a phone it is still available. The kit is cheaper than spare parts, and they may have killer pricing because of the age of the car. Installation of the parts is easy enough, but you need to have a dealer program the head unit to use the phone function. Mercedes calls it version coding.

Personally, I have a more modern "yack slab" that is smaller, lighter, and has more features useful to me than the Mercedes solution to talking on the go.

For me, I just push the MUTE button when the phone rings, and say hello to Mr. Bluetooth.

One last consideration is the cellular system used in Iceland. I am not sure what the infrastructure is, but it is most likely newer and better than that in the US. That may also limit your chances of using the car's OEM system.

I have never used a phone in Iceland, too many blondes to waste time on the phone!

Thanks,
Too many blondes? How do you contact them?!
I guess i would need another kit for GSM 900/1800 (wich i believe we use downhere) There must be different parts, My dads '06 E200 kompressor came with a built in phone, so i know it's useable here but i guess it uses different components.

Anyways thanks for helping a newbcake out