C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C 230 K Audio Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe (2010)
C 230 K Audio Questions

I am ordering my C230 this week and I am trying to setup all of my audio build up ahead of time. I am running into alot of negative feed back about adding some subs and amps to the mercedes audio systems that are in place (bose package). I want to just add a 12' with a amp of some kind without ripping out the bose components, and keeping the origingal head unit.

Also can I not get the factory changer and get an aftermarket one that would be cheaper? (NOT FM modulated)

Does Mercedes ever ship without a stereo at all? just the empty speakers and space for the head unit
Old 01-05-2002, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not too sure how similar the stereo equipment is between the coupes and the sedans but i do know that people have added extra subs and amps seperately.

You might want to post this question on www.mbnz.org
One of the posters there mentioned they had done it.

as far as the changer goes, you can get the MB changer for much cheaper at places like www.autoclass.net and have your dealer install it for you. This way you get use of your steering controls and will be under warranty too.

GO HOKIES!!!!
ps. when you get it, i think you will be the first student to have it at tech right?
Old 01-05-2002, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pain in putting a 12' sub in the back in any hatchback is you lose the ability to use the area as one large cargo area. 12' sub would most likely have to anchored down well to keep it from rattling. I though a 8" ported tube like earthquake or bazooka would sound better and they make quick detachable straps for them. It's not that hard to patch in. The wires run into the amp behind the spare tire at least on my non-bose setup. Take the cover of over the spare and continue to remove it beyong that. Also with Bose you can take the leads of the woofer box that's in the passenger side storage compartment. It's a black box about 6"x4"x3".

Don't let anyone fool you about MB CD changers. You can get aftermarket ones that work perfectly like the Becker 2662. Just make sure it has a DB2 Fiber Optic connector. The problem is it won't fit in the glove box so you'll have to make your own brackets and fiber cables to reach. On the plus side you'll save a whopping $50 over the $399 MB unit but you'll be proud to have cheated the big Daimler empire and done your own thing. On the MBNZ.org site there is someone selling their factory indash CD player if that's of interest to you. They sell for about $425 in the UK and probably cheaper now as the pound took a hit last week when the euro was released.

Good luck and post pictures!
Old 01-05-2002, 08:56 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
I was quoted 600 for the changer by MB... so that is a releif.

are there Fiber channel amps out there?

My Idea was to mount the 12 and the amp in the spare tire area under some plexigass... then remount the spare on the left side of the trunk space and cover that in some enclosure that will be carpeted.