C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Change in '03's air vents?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Per MBUSA...

"CFC-free automatic climate control with digital dual temperature and airflow controls, plus illuminated vent adjusters. Activated charcoal filter with smog sensing automatic recirculation of filtered cabin air. 4-way sun sensor.

Electrostatic dust filter. Humidity sensor. Dash-top diffuser vent. Rear cabin air vents."

Also, regarding lighting your vent controls, I do not think this is possible. I have read another post or two on this topic and it doesn't seem feasible for the coupe. I wonder who at MB decided to reserve this feature for the sedan??
Old 11-05-2002, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by jhillman

Also, regarding lighting your vent controls, I do not think this is possible. I have read another post or two on this topic and it doesn't seem feasible for the coupe. I wonder who at MB decided to reserve this feature for the sedan??
The C240 sedan does not have lighted vent controls either.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by trench
I thought that the little black dome on the vent in the hood was a sun sensor.

Nevertheless, I was under the impression that the C-class did have sun sensors.

- BT
They use the sensor on the rear view mirror. Its a little photocell located on the bottom right of the mirror.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by viper
They use the sensor on the rear view mirror. Its a little photocell located on the bottom right of the mirror.
Viper, are you speaking of the photocell in the mirror glass? I thought this was the primary sensor for adjusting the auto-dim mirrors (not a sun sensor), although I suppose it could also have some multi-tasking duties, too. EDIT: OOPS, my bad. Just looked and there is indeed a sensor on the back side of the mirror facing forward, just as Viper describes it. Not sure what it does, though.

As for the lighted thumbwheels... Yes, they're a feature on the C320, only, and a fine feature it is, too. Very useful when adjusting at night. The "Blue" wheel looks fine, and matches the temp "cooler" button in the thermotronic climate control panel. If it's any consolation, the dashtop vent is not lighted, as that would pose a glare problem on the inner windshield.

The thumbwheel in my rear A/C vent (between the seats) is also not lighted (on my '01), but I understand that it may be lit on C320s from '02 onwards. Oh no, horrible thought... Does anyone know if this rear passenger vent wheel has gone missing, too?

And you guys ragged me and others about the famous compass thread having so many posts...:p

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-06-2002 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
The rear passenger wheel is now a fan control which I don't think your '01 has, right? The big black box in the lower part of the center console is for this fan, rendering the compartment pretty much useless now. But your rear passengers can control their own fan speed now. Oh boy!!

As for whether it is lit or not, I don't know about that.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:46 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by Matt230K
The rear passenger wheel is now a fan control which I don't think your '01 has, right? The big black box in the lower part of the center console is for this fan, rendering the compartment pretty much useless now. But your rear passengers can control their own fan speed now. Oh boy!!

don't know about the c-coupe but the c320/c32 has that fan control for the rear...it's loud when u turn it up though.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Yup, she lights up too!
Old 11-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage

Yes, on the '01 C320, the wheel simply controls whether the vent is open and how open.... just like all the other vents in the dash. The air flow is just fine for the rear seats... I think MB could have spent their time perfecting other items on the car rather than installing the fan motor. I DO like the huge console storage, instead (enough for 25-30 CD jewel cases or more).
Old 11-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Yes, on the '01 C320, the wheel simply controls whether the vent is open and how open.... just like all the other vents in the dash. The air flow is just fine for the rear seats... I think MB could have spent their time perfecting other items on the car rather than installing the fan motor. I DO like the huge console storage, instead (enough for 25-30 CD jewel cases or more).
I had the "pleasure" of traveling one day with 3 other people in my car in the middle of a nice hot Dallas Texas summer day. Both passengers in the back commented how nice it was to have the vent/fan that they could control. They were able to stay cool without me having to crank up the AC to an uncomfortable level in the front. It is a pain that I've lost the space in the arm rest (there is a little bit of usable space there), but I'm happy with the fan. As for CD cases, I normally keep them in the house. I have 3 CD Changer cartridges that fit nicely beside the changer (two beside, one inside).
Old 11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)

Why wouldn't it?

I'd love to see what the lighting setup on the vent wheels looklike. I have a feeling its something not far removed from a single christmass tree bulb on a short harness. Should just be able to plug and play these things.

We need an MB tech...anyone in the house?
Old 11-06-2002, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
i would imagine that it would just require a wire drawing power from a source with a light attached at the end.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:22 AM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Confirmed... I just got my 2003 C320 sedan, and the center diffuser vent and knob on the dash (previously integrated into the speaker grill) is no longer there. The fresh air wheel (blue marks on the dial) is still in the middle of the panel vents, but there is no diffuser vent at all.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by FrankW
IMO the climate control in the C-class sucks pretty bad. just two days ago it was about 54 degrees at night i had my temp set to 72. The two vents near the mirror were blowing warm air, and the center vent was blowing cool air. Yesterday it was about 56 degrees, same setting, but instead like two days ago, this time all the top vent blowed cool air and the bottom blowed warm/hot air at my feet. My feet was hot, but my upper body was cold.

agree - my 96 Infiniti I30 climate control worked much better than the W203 sedan...and I have the electronic (C320).
Old 01-03-2003, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Confirmed... I just got my 2003 C320 sedan, and the center diffuser vent and knob on the dash (previously integrated into the speaker grill) is no longer there. The fresh air wheel (blue marks on the dial) is still in the middle of the panel vents, but there is no diffuser vent at all.
there is no diffuser vent ontop of the dash ? pics ??
Old 01-03-2003, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by revstriker
I had the "pleasure" of traveling one day with 3 other people in my car in the middle of a nice hot Dallas Texas summer day. Both passengers in the back commented how nice it was to have the vent/fan that they could control. They were able to stay cool without me having to crank up the AC to an uncomfortable level in the front. It is a pain that I've lost the space in the arm rest (there is a little bit of usable space there), but I'm happy with the fan. As for CD cases, I normally keep them in the house. I have 3 CD Changer cartridges that fit nicely beside the changer (two beside, one inside).
to me, in a sedan the added fan for the rear is a great feature...(I'm in TEXAS too)...funny the 02 C240's DO NOT HAVE the rear fan (right?). I wish my '01 C320 had it....I don't think it can be easily retrofitted tho - no power nearby ...or I wonder if the cig lighter power could be tapped into...it would be $$$$ anyway.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:12 PM
JAM

SL600
Illuminated vent switches

I am anticipating delivery of my C240 4Matic Sedan this week (C1, C2, C3, C4, Premium Audio, Heated Seats, Cd Changer--Would you believe there was only one in the country with all of those options? Luckily it was a good color (Desert Silver/Java).

Anyway, I had to investigate the vent lever issue immediatley.....Just went to the local dealership and looked around.... Here's what I found....

On a mix of 03's, coupes, sedans, wagons, 240s, 320s, 230s, 4Matic ,etc....

No pattern, so its probably by build date. Most had no lever on the diffuser vent and no blue cold air lever in the center.

Some had one or the other. Out of 30 new C's, only one had both levers.

Like someone said earlier, I also hate blanks and must have all the switches--just one of those stupid things...

If my new C is without them, I am going to perform surgery.

Here's a list of my out of the gate mods that I intend to perform....

1. Climatronic digital unit (from a 2002, I like the solid colored red and blue buttons better than the new unit with arrows)
2. Illuminated vents ( will probably buy the assembly from C320)
2a. I may get all blue switches if I can order them separate from the vent.
3. Illuminated door sills
4. Audio 10 or Command, not sure yet.
5. Something to replace the one blank switch
6. Possibly a rear fan retrofit

Oh here's something disturbing.... Some had option packages labled as having and L1 option package in addition to a C1, the windows stickers option packages were not in sync with the options in the brochure or on mbusa.com.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the missing vent switches?
Old 06-15-2003, 02:26 PM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Why not just get the C320, which already includes the digital climate control, the lighted vent knobs, the rear fan control, etc.? And if you already know you want COMAND, why not just get the car with COMAND instead of doing a retrofit later? You're going to end up spending the difference in the price between the C240 and the C320 on all these mods anyway. Plus, the difference in engine/power between the 240 and 320 is way worth the extra money alone, in my (and I'm sure most people's) opinion.

Also, by the way, I have a 2003 C320 with the fresh/cold air control knob but no dash-top diffuser control. I don't really think the dash-top diffuser is necessary, so I don't miss having it.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Also, by the way, I have a 2003 C320 with the fresh/cold air control knob but no dash-top diffuser control. I don't really think the dash-top diffuser is necessary, so I don't miss having it.
My 2003 C320 is the same way. I have the blue air control between the vents, but no control for the top vent on the dash.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:41 PM
JAM

SL600
Why not the C320?

in response to jhillman.... Believe me I wanted the C320, but I could not find one with all the options that I wanted. I watched my sales rep do a national search... All of them had C2, but none in the country had C3 and C4 (saw the list for myself). Limiting the search to 4Matic vehicles really limited the option choices available. Same deal with Command, just can't find it. Plus I may just go with an Audio 10. Had navi in my 99TL, great toy, rarely used it....

BTW, why not have one built? My ML is oming off of its lease and I need a car fast....

I could retrofit the xenons, but the fold down seats would be too much of an ordeal to retrofit, and I really need that feature.

I could live without the diffuser control, but the missing blue fresh air control would drive me a bit nuts. Gotta have it.

I'll know what vent levers it has very soon--I get the feeling it is going to be missing two levers....
Old 06-15-2003, 09:45 PM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Re: Why not the C320?

Originally posted by JAM
I'll know what vent levers it has very soon--I get the feeling it is going to be missing two levers....
I've never seen a C-class sedan without the fresh air knob, so you should be okay in that department.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:50 PM

2002 C230K
Re: Re: Why not the C320?

I've never seen a C-class sedan without the fresh air knob, so you should be okay in that department.
i have. last week we had a 2003 c240 loaner that had neither the fresh air knob, nor the top vent control. i think you're ok without the top vent control, bc all you really have to do is change the flow. and as far as fresh air goes, i've never really closed it, and dont know too many people that do, so i think it is rather pointless to have a knob, and instead just leave it open all the time.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I asked my salesperson about this knob on the top vent. He had no idea either, but he also noted that some cars had it and some didn't of the same model (ranging from C230- C32). Not sure what the deal is, I would like to hear a straight answer from MB. My dealer has not been able to give me one.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Hello,

In my sportcoupe 2002 C230K Evolution, I have the 2 wheels, but it's not all, there is more: all are ILUMINATED including the blue except the top one !!!!

Best regards,

Ruben.
Attached Thumbnails Change in '03's air vents?-35fj0066.jpg  
Old 06-16-2003, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
cont...
Attached Thumbnails Change in '03's air vents?-35fj0072.jpg  
Old 06-16-2003, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
cont ....
Attached Thumbnails Change in '03's air vents?-35fj0062.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Change in '03's air vents?