C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TAX problem (buying wheel), HELP plz!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
TAX problem (buying wheel), HELP plz!

I am in Seattle and going to buy wheel from TireRack. As i go through the shopping cart on the website, i noticed that there is no TAX charged. Does that mean i don't have to pay any TAX? or there is going be a TAX charge by Washington State? Please help me with this because i am actually from Canada and i do not know any TAX thing about United States.

Thank You
Old 11-07-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
If the product purchased is shipped from out of state there is no tax here in the US. There is no interstate tax or national sales tax here. One of the few time we don't pay tax!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:41 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
yeah dont worry about tax if u're in Canada especially. U only have to pay sales tax via internet purchase if the shop/store operates in the same state that you live in (i.e if I buy something at www.bestbuy.com I have to pay sales tax b/c we have Best Buy in our state)
Old 11-07-2002, 11:49 AM

2002 C240 Classic
true, but customs hammers you large with brokerage fee. i know because a $100 USD purchase cost me an additional $40 USD fee. i was shocked and pissed. oh well, at least i know for next time.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:00 PM

2002 c230k
That is why if buy rims and tires in the states you put them on the car and ship the old ones back home as used rims and tires with low value for duty if any.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: TAX problem (buying wheel), HELP plz!

Originally posted by zhaoyi
I am in Seattle and going to buy wheel from TireRack. As i go through the shopping cart on the website, i noticed that there is no TAX charged. Does that mean i don't have to pay any TAX? or there is going be a TAX charge by Washington State? Please help me with this because i am actually from Canada and i do not know any TAX thing about United States.

Thank You
Are you staying in Seattle just for the sake of receivng the wheels? Are you going to install the new wheels on yr car and drive it back to Vancouver? I heard there've been people stopped by the customs at the border and got busted with things that bought in the States. They record every car when you go South, and when they feel suspicious, they'll check their tape and then you will be in deep trouble. It is always not a good idea to cheat on Canada Customs. You may get away once but not twice!

You dont have to pay any tax in the States. But you have to pay GST, PST, Brokerage, Brokerage GST, Shipping.....you will end up paying the same, if not more than locally. Not to mention all the hassles involved.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:11 PM

2002 c230k
Remember, you are allowed a certain amount per year duty free. Check with customs to get the allowance. It is per person, so if you go with someone get separate receipts to split the cost.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
I Bought an Apple Studio Display LCD Monitor from ebay like for $300 US and i had to pay Extra $123 CND in Taxes and brokage fees. By the time i was finished, the Monitor cost me $650 Canadian. I could have got the same monitor here around $550 Canadian. So some times it is not a good idea to buy from states.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:26 PM

C230K
Thanks for all your input!
So i think now, i know i don't have to pay any TAX in the States.

Well, i didn't plan to skip Canadian tax at border, but i don't know how much they will be. From my experience, i have to pay both tax and brokage fee for all shipping. Like you said, those are crazy high and end up paying more than local. Maybe i was wrong by thinking that i don't need to pay brokage if i drive my stuff back and only 2 tax will applied. So it actually not 14.5 percent tax in total? It's more, right? sigh..........Canadian Government is like ROBBER!

let's say i buy a total 2700 US dollars......anyone know how much they will charge at border?

thanks
Old 11-07-2002, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Re: TAX problem (buying wheel), HELP plz!

Originally posted by Harris
I heard there've been people stopped by the customs at the border and got busted with things that bought in the States. They record every car when you go South, and when they feel suspicious, they'll check their tape and then you will be in deep trouble.
Do they really videotape record every car? Seems like it would be expensive and difficult to keep track of all the cars crossing the border, especially if you come back several days later.

My suggestion: Go to a remote site along the border and chuck them over the fence!

- BT
Old 11-07-2002, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by zhaoyi
......let's say i buy a total 2700 US dollars......anyone know how much they will charge at border?

thanks
Well....today's exchange rate is 1.555, they will probably charge you 1.56, which is CAD$4212. 7% GST=$294.84, 7.5%PST=$315.9
not everything you bring across the border has to pay Duty, but if you do, the average is about 15% (depends on what product and made of origin). If you are bringing stuff yrself and clear customs in person, I believed you dont have to pay any brokerage. But if you're using FedEx, the brokerage fee is about 5% of yr declared value. In your case now, I think all you have to pay is $610+duty (if any) in taxes. But if you are ordering from your home, by the time the wheels arrived in your house, taxes+duty+brokerage will be close to $1000.

One of the main reason why I am setting up a new auto accessories store in Canada is to serve all Canadians who dont want to order from the States, and dont want to go through all these hassles.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: TAX problem (buying wheel), HELP plz!

Originally posted by trench
Do they really videotape record every car? Seems like it would be expensive and difficult to keep track of all the cars crossing the border, especially if you come back several days later.

My suggestion: Go to a remote site along the border and chuck them over the fence!

- BT
They do videotape every car. But I have no idea of how long they will keep the tape.

Since they charge you so much taxes, getting a few camera installed at the border is no big deal!!!