C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Oil Leak

I keep getting oil seeping out from the oil filter cover. I've changed the O-ring many times but the oil still keeps seeping out. The ring keeps getting a little bulge on it. I tried not tightening it too tight but it does the same thing. Anyone else have this issue? I almost feel as though it's not the right O-ring but i've purchased many different brands. We had that problem once on the ML which uses the same filter and changing the ring that one time has fixed it but with my C it seem incurable.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Hmmm…seems like a heck of a place from which to be getting a oil leak. At least it’s accessible.

Not sure about the “little bulge” you’re getting from the O-ring. Mine almost feels like a tight rubber band going in to place on its groove. It fits tightly, and is just slightly taller than the filter mount assembly itself. I’m certain you have thoroughly cleaned both the housing and mount prior to refitting. Smear some fresh motor oil on the ring(s) before screwing the assembly back in place. It’ll help to allow the O-rings to seat properly without sticking or bunching up on their way home. Tighten to 25Nm.

Oh, and one other thing. I have used only the Mann+Hummel HU718/5 x fleece filter and its accompanying rings. Nary a problem.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Assuming everything is clean, I think you might have an imperfection in the sealing surface. It could be a gouge or even a deep scratch on the O-ring seat.

Your oil filter housing has two parts, the base and the top. The base is normally aluminum and the top is normally plastic. I would guess the plastic is the more likely culprit (have you ever over-torqued it?). Check to see if the plastic is deformed slightly, or has a slight crack. Get a good flashlight and examine both parts carefully. Neither is obscenely expensive to replace.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by splinter
Hmmm…seems like a heck of a place from which to be getting a oil leak. At least it’s accessible.

Not sure about the “little bulge” you’re getting from the O-ring. Mine almost feels like a tight rubber band going in to place on its groove. It fits tightly, and is just slightly taller than the filter mount assembly itself. I’m certain you have thoroughly cleaned both the housing and mount prior to refitting. Smear some fresh motor oil on the ring(s) before screwing the assembly back in place. It’ll help to allow the O-rings to seat properly without sticking or bunching up on their way home. Tighten to 25Nm.

Oh, and one other thing. I have used only the Mann+Hummel HU718/5 x fleece filter and its accompanying rings. Nary a problem.

Hey Splinter, is it cheaper to buy these, than say what you get from the dealer? Do you order it from them, or somewhere else? I'm due to get a service A going this coming weekend.

E
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
E,
I always use OE filters and such because much of the off-Broadway aftermarket is counterfeit junk. Although Hengst, Bosch, and Mahle are also MB-approved filter suppliers, I’m partial to Mann because of their top tier fleece filters. Not sure if any of them make a synthetic filter for your stout M111.

I get 'em from Pacific Coast Parts. Clint will get you the right price. He’s a salty old barnacle, so he and I get along just fine! Saving 25% on a $20 purchase isn't worth your time. If you ever need a $1000 part, at least you'll have a phone number to help ease the pain. That he’s adjacent to the lumberyard on PCH makes him convenient, as well.

Let me know if you need a will call, a third hand, or perhaps a beverage or two with which to more easily complete the service.