C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Various Questions ('02 C320)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Various Questions ('02 C320)

Hello.

I just purchased an 02 C320, used. Has about 90k miles on it. This is my first MB, my last car was a 1991 Acura Legend. I've always wanted a mercedes, but anyways, on to the questions.

- I'm noticing a small oil leak on the left side of the engine, near the center spark plug. Its a very small leak, i notice it when the heater is on and it drips down into the exhaust manifold area. Some people suggest my valve cover is to blame. I don't see any oil on the garage floor, so it's a very small seep.

- I think I have the seat control module problem on this car, when I let it set for over a day the battery is dead. I'm looking for the replacement modules, can anyone give me the part #'s or a place to purchase them?

- I sometimes notice a gasoline smell coming from the car. After talking with the previous owner he told me it has the original sparkplugs. I'm thinking they need replaced, so I bought some NGK's. I'm not really sure on this, though. I'm not leaking any gasoline. Some people suggest it's just burning rich because of the plugs, but I'm kind of worried about the fuel pump.

- How do I change the sparkplugs? I've never seen this type of engine configuration before.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I love the car and I hope I didn't buy one that is going to have problems.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Monk
- I'm noticing a small oil leak on the left side of the engine, near the center spark plug. Its a very small leak, i notice it when the heater is on and it drips down into the exhaust manifold area. Some people suggest my valve cover is to blame. I don't see any oil on the garage floor, so it's a very small seep.
Welcome. Try tightening the valve cover breather plate. It won't drip to the floor until it fills up the under body panel.

- I sometimes notice a gasoline smell coming from the car. After talking with the previous owner he told me it has the original sparkplugs. I'm thinking they need replaced, so I bought some NGK's. I'm not really sure on this, though. I'm not leaking any gasoline. Some people suggest it's just burning rich because of the plugs, but I'm kind of worried about the fuel pump.- How do I change the sparkplugs? I've never seen this type of engine configuration before.
There's several threads on sparkplug changes. Be careful not to pull on the wires (get the right tool to remove the boots). As long as non leaded gas has been used in the car the plugs should be fine. Have you checked the air filter? NGK? Get the right plugs...they're more expensive but worth it.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I love the car and I hope I didn't buy one that is going to have problems.
You came to the right place for questions. The early C class had many problems...they're listed in this forum. Don't get discouraged and just fix them one at a time. Once you get the bugs out they are very reliable and trouble free.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:35 PM

c240 elegance
Sounds like your valve gasket cover. When you start your car up does it sound rough sometimes, like a pinhole in your manifold?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:30 PM

C320
Yes, it does. It sounds rough for maybe a minute, then it goes away.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:08 PM

C320
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Welcome. Try tightening the valve cover breather plate. It won't drip to the floor until it fills up the under body panel.
I will have my local mechanic look at this. I don't have the technical knowledge to adjust it. Thanks for the suggestion.

There's several threads on sparkplug changes. Be careful not to pull on the wires (get the right tool to remove the boots). As long as non leaded gas has been used in the car the plugs should be fine. Have you checked the air filter? NGK? Get the right plugs...they're more expensive but worth it.
I'm going to check the airfilter etc this week. I bought NGK's from autozone for this car, the Platinums. I also changed the oil in the car a few weeks back. I bought the valveoline maxlife 10W-30. So far, so good. Aside from the seat control modules draining the battery, the car is really nice, alot nicer than i expected.

You came to the right place for questions. The early C class had many problems...they're listed in this forum. Don't get discouraged and just fix them one at a time. Once you get the bugs out they are very reliable and trouble free.
Indeed. I like a challenge. My roommate is a big honda/acura freak, and when he discovered there was a little oil leaking from the engine, he flipped out and proceeded to make fun of my car and comparing it to x/y/z. Kind of annoying, but nonetheless, I didn't want to hop on the honda bandwagon, I've always had an affinity for MB.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:02 PM

c240 elegance
Yes, it does. It sounds rough for maybe a minute, then it goes away.
I had a similar problem, probably a leak in your valve gasket cover. The oil residue you see is actually created more from the exhaust shooting through the leak...thats why you will never see any dripping.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 PM

C320
Originally Posted by w203elegance
I had a similar problem, probably a leak in your valve gasket cover. The oil residue you see is actually created more from the exhaust shooting through the leak...thats why you will never see any dripping.
What was the repair for you? Valve cover replacement?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 AM

c240 elegance
What was the repair for you? Valve cover replacement?
yep

I also changed my wires and plugs at the same time....runs awesome now