C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

aftermarket SUBS & AMPS for the C-Class 203s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 M111.955 2.0 kompressor
New SUBS

My new Subs, installed today. 2x15" 2x1400watt

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nIJEHM9S5A

Please comment

Last edited by ZAKON; 02-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 PM

2003 C240
I'd really like to have a system installed next possibly. As I mentioned before in this thread I had 3 10in MTX's in an older car and really liked the way it sounded I used an xtant amp..i know these amps are expensive, it actually wasnt mine...but I'd like to buy the 3 10's again, but can anyone tell me what would be a good amp to run those thats not a very high price? I'd probably get 4 new component speakers too so it would have to be multi-channel, am I correct? I'm not too good at this stuff...lol I'll just have the pros install it..any recommendations?? Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM

'03 C230 Sedan
JL 12w7...Pheonix Gold 1200.1 Xenon...Alpine IVA-D300 Flip Screen...Boston Acoustic component speakers. Sounds like a dream but I'm soon going to install an amp for the speakers...the headunit doesnt do them justice.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by LuxuryC240
I'd really like to have a system installed next possibly. As I mentioned before in this thread I had 3 10in MTX's in an older car and really liked the way it sounded I used an xtant amp..i know these amps are expensive, it actually wasnt mine...but I'd like to buy the 3 10's again, but can anyone tell me what would be a good amp to run those thats not a very high price? I'd probably get 4 new component speakers too so it would have to be multi-channel, am I correct? I'm not too good at this stuff...lol I'll just have the pros install it..any recommendations?? Thanks
I suggest you to install ONLY "Bandpass" enclosure.
It is the only enclosure design that can <<push>> the sub sounds thru the Mercedes seats. CLEAN and DEEP bass.

Today i changed my (the above photos, XPlod) with the MAGNAT XTC 230 NEO(N)

Just perfect now, much better than the 15" Xplods.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 PM

2003 C240
Thanks Zakon for your suggestion.

I just wanted to ask others for their input as well. Like I said, I'm not to good when it comes to wattage and ohms and all that. I dont know what I should get. I'm looking to spend no more than 500 bux for some nice subs and a good amp and decent wiring. Is my spending limit too low? What should I get? Should I go with 3 10's or 2 12's? Can anyone help? I mainly listen to hip hop and techno. I know I can run subs and an amp from the stock radio, but should I wait until I have enough money for a command or avic-z1? then install all together?
Any other input would be great thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
My enclosure alone cost more than $500
Old 02-24-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks Zakon for your suggestion.

I just wanted to ask others for their input as well. Like I said, I'm not to good when it comes to wattage and ohms and all that. I dont know what I should get. I'm looking to spend no more than 500 bux for some nice subs and a good amp and decent wiring. Is my spending limit too low? What should I get? Should I go with 3 10's or 2 12's? Can anyone help? I mainly listen to hip hop and techno. I know I can run subs and an amp from the stock radio, but should I wait until I have enough money for a command or avic-z1? then install all together?
Any other input would be great thanks.
My suggestion:

1) 1 bandpass box with 2x12" subs, not less than 400 (Watt "RMS") and not more than 800 RMS (Too much, bad for your car!)

2) Capacitor (Must)

3) Amp (The dealer will suggest you the correct amp)

Box suggestion: MAGNAT XTC 230 NEO (500watt RMS both subs, 2x12", German quality, smart bass-reflecting box and port design) this box is big, i'll post some photos of mine soon.Search for it online, cheaper.

Last edited by ZAKON; 02-24-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 PM

2003 C240
Was checking out some speakers (just looking around) I saw a dual 12 polk audio box with 1500watt max....I had the polk audio 6.5's running with it as well in circuit city...they sounded sweeeeeeet nice and deep....the loaded enclosure was 300 the 6.5's were i tihnk 130 plus I'd need an amp and wires, and installation...want it bad, but don't have the money, lol...

How is polk audio compared to kicker? the kid at circuit city said the kickers were pretty good too...MTX's sounded pretty nice too...
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Was checking out some speakers (just looking around) I saw a dual 12 polk audio box with 1500watt max....I had the polk audio 6.5's running with it as well in circuit city...they sounded sweeeeeeet nice and deep....the loaded enclosure was 300 the 6.5's were i tihnk 130 plus I'd need an amp and wires, and installation...want it bad, but don't have the money, lol...

How is polk audio compared to kicker? the kid at circuit city said the kickers were pretty good too...MTX's sounded pretty nice too...
Polk > MTX/Kicker

i'd go with JL
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM

2007 C280 Avantgarde
you guys don't really need trunk space eh? I personally have the harmon/kardon 5.1 surround that came with the car... I think it's good enough already...

But in any case, I love the trunk space... and if I get a sub like those, I will sacrifice my 60/40 split as well
Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 PM

2003 C240
Well, I like to have trunk space myself...I'd like to try and find a small box for twelves...the polk audio box I was lookin at probably would take up prolly just under half the trunk..I really want subs tho...just a lil' too much money at the moment...maybe sometime before summer...I'm not sure...If i have to spend 500 or more on sound system, I'd rather save a bit and get some rims first...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by Cloudz
you guys don't really need trunk space eh? I personally have the harmon/kardon 5.1 surround that came with the car... I think it's good enough already...

But in any case, I love the trunk space... and if I get a sub like those, I will sacrifice my 60/40 split as well
You took the words out of my mouth, I go skiing each weekend in the winter and off sailing with gear in the summer, I am just coming to terms with the decreased trunk space over my previous car and now have to pack intelligently.

Guess none of you go grocery shopping or the trip to the 'Homer, or how about that romantic get away for two, no place to put stuff other than on the rear seat
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by Boom vang
or how about that romantic get away for two, no place to put stuff other than on the rear seat
Haha omg chicks bring so much stuff...i still want speakers...she can have the backseat for her stuff..my stuff will fit in the trunk...I suppose as long as the box isnt drilled down in any way, you could remove it if you really needed the space...just cap the wires...

Can anyone tell me what a ballpark figure is or what others have spent for 2 12's in an enclosure and an amp and wires...excluding the door speakers..

I loved how the polk audio db serier dual 12" enclosure sounded at circuit city for $299
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Boom vang
You took the words out of my mouth, I go skiing each weekend in the winter and off sailing with gear in the summer, I am just coming to terms with the decreased trunk space over my previous car and now have to pack intelligently.

Guess none of you go grocery shopping or the trip to the 'Homer, or how about that romantic get away for two, no place to put stuff other than on the rear seat
I already posted a pic on this tread of my sub enclosure. It is in the spare tire well, so I can still fit a couple suitcases in the trunk, and it doesn't mess with the split seats. A sub box like all the others posted on here totally kills the trunk.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 AM

v6c230ss
Those are some nice setups you guys have there....how about the HU? Are you guys running stock(i would assume not) or an aftermarket HU? How about some pics on that....I ask because I too am in a little dilemma....I was consider staying stock and getting a command(euro) or go the length to get the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 or an aftermarket Double Din. I have a jl 500/1 and 2-10w6v2 from my previous car i want to install. Big thanks for any help

Sorry didnt mean to get off topic

TAZ
Old 03-19-2007, 12:46 PM

2007 C280 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by jgsx
I already posted a pic on this tread of my sub enclosure. It is in the spare tire well, so I can still fit a couple suitcases in the trunk, and it doesn't mess with the split seats. A sub box like all the others posted on here totally kills the trunk.
I went back to see the pic that you posted - I see what you mean, it looks great.

But, I hope you don't put suitcases over the sub (or allow anything to rock and tip on top of the sub, it would screw up (aka destroy) your sub entirely. But otherwise, it's fine... Then again, won't pieces of stuff (I don't know... like a small piece of pebble, or some other small pieces) fall into your sub? And water leakage from a water bottle will destroy it entirely... (I would be afraid to put anything liquid in the trunk)

Just my 2 cents, but otherwise, awesome
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Cloudz
I went back to see the pic that you posted - I see what you mean, it looks great.

But, I hope you don't put suitcases over the sub (or allow anything to rock and tip on top of the sub, it would screw up (aka destroy) your sub entirely. But otherwise, it's fine... Then again, won't pieces of stuff (I don't know... like a small piece of pebble, or some other small pieces) fall into your sub? And water leakage from a water bottle will destroy it entirely... (I would be afraid to put anything liquid in the trunk)

Just my 2 cents, but otherwise, awesome
Nah, stuff can sit directly on it. It is pretty strong.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 PM

2002 C240

Be patient and save your money. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I sacrificed my spare tire and did something unique. I have a thread that chronicals the building of my system out there but here are some highlights. The pair of dual voice coil 10's are in a fiberglass enclosure and are powered by 2 amps mounted to a rack behind the back seats and the 4 channel amp that runs the 4 corners is mounted on the rear deck.

I have the factory sub in the rear deck but did not remove it. I figured I would try it out before going thru the labor of getting it out and never have. I have plenty of bass (not earth shaking, but that is not what I was going for). I am sure I would have a little more if I took it out. One of these days.

I had the Bose upgrade and replaced EVERYTHING! Believe it or not, that was an easier option. I will be glad to answer any questions as best as I can. Comments welcome on the attached pics.

rlee - looking good!
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket SUBS &amp; AMPS for the C-Class 203s-p6190049.jpg   aftermarket SUBS &amp; AMPS for the C-Class 203s-p8300082.jpg   aftermarket SUBS &amp; AMPS for the C-Class 203s-p8310078.jpg   aftermarket SUBS &amp; AMPS for the C-Class 203s-clarion-hu.jpg  

Last edited by MB Nubee; 03-19-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Yeah, true - I need my trunk space, or rather just want it.

What's a good way to replace just the Bose speakers (2003 model), with some better, louder speakers? I'm assuming I'll need an amp as well? - Where can I hide it, don't want it sticking out in the trunk or anything...

Tee_Tz.

u can get Squared subs. which are really loud and sound really really nice, and they are not too big but perform like no tomorrow, u can up them flat against the rear seat, so they will take up very little space away from ur trun space.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by raklert
I got 2 JL10W6 V2 in a custom bandpass 3 chambers box. ported box 2.6cuft and sealed box 0.7 cuft each.

a little note about these subs. They sound great...very nice and deep. however, a friend's JBL P1022 10" in similar box packed a lot more punch than my JL. I still love the sound of my JL though, may be its time to move to 12W7???
that looks sweet.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM

tee_tz
if u really want to save the space u can mount ur amp, where the factory Bose amp is mounted and it will be right out of the way. and it will take up no room at all.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by MB Nubee
Be patient and save your money. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I sacrificed my spare tire and did something unique. I have a thread that chronicals the building of my system out there but here are some highlights. The pair of dual voice coil 10's are in a fiberglass enclosure and are powered by 2 amps mounted to a rack behind the back seats and the 4 channel amp that runs the 4 corners is mounted on the rear deck.

I have the factory sub in the rear deck but did not remove it. I figured I would try it out before going thru the labor of getting it out and never have. I have plenty of bass (not earth shaking, but that is not what I was going for). I am sure I would have a little more if I took it out. One of these days.

I had the Bose upgrade and replaced EVERYTHING! Believe it or not, that was an easier option. I will be glad to answer any questions as best as I can. Comments welcome on the attached pics.
Thanks for your comment, especially about being patient...I'm trying...I'm at the point where I'm looking for my first major mod, so to speak, but would wipe me out financially, its a little aggravating. I love the idea of using the spare tire well because it is generous in space, its just that unless you do it yourself, it would cost a little more to have done...although it would make a great project to try and do it yourself..are 3 amps really required?? Wouldn't a multichannel do the work for all speakers? I'm not very good when it comes to electrical stuff so if I'm wrong just say so...I love the MB logo in the carpet..
Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 AM

2002 C240
Thanks for your comment, especially about being patient...I'm trying...I'm at the point where I'm looking for my first major mod, so to speak, but would wipe me out financially, its a little aggravating. I love the idea of using the spare tire well because it is generous in space, its just that unless you do it yourself, it would cost a little more to have done...although it would make a great project to try and do it yourself..are 3 amps really required?? Wouldn't a multichannel do the work for all speakers? I'm not very good when it comes to electrical stuff so if I'm wrong just say so...I love the MB logo in the carpet..
I am not very patient either! Since the stereo upgrade, I have nothing left to mod with. I do not want to do a lot as I put 120 miles per day just in my commute to work. If I had a beater to drive, that would be a different story! No, you don't need 3 amps. I used to have a 6 channel that ran everything (in my previous car). When I moved to dual vice coil subs, I wanted more power to them. That is why I dedicated one amp per sub. People ask me, Don't you miss your spare or aren't you affraid to get a flat? I tell them I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat with me, I have M-B roadside assistance and I carry a cell phone, so I am covered. I just don't want the wife to find out about it!

I will admit a friend of mine did the fiberglass work in the trunk, but I trimmed it out, ran all the wires and did the amp rack and trim panel (thanks on the M-B logo, I am proud of that one! ). That saved me a lot of money. All in all, I spent around $600 in installation only stuff. That includes materials (paint, bondo, MDF, fiberglass, etc.), wiring kits and stereo shop installs (HU, door speakers and main power wire). I don't know HOW much it would have cost me if a professional did it all!

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited by MB Nubee; 03-20-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM

2003 C240
Another thing is that although I really want to get subs and everything, I also want to get an avic z1. Through searching, it seems to me that the avic offers more features than command, especially now that I recently found out you can keep steering controls. I'm not sure whether I should wait to get the avic first before the subs or to not worry about it and there would be no problem hooking the already installed subs, speakers, amp and everything to the new avic...that might sound confusing lol but if it is just ask me what I mean and I'll try to explain it better haha

Either way, it might be quite some time before I'm financially able to get navigation, but I'm just curious and anxious!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
I would like to get the whole world and put it in my car, but i only got like 10 bucks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket SUBS & AMPS for the C-Class 203s