C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Tips for Posting, Searching this forum...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2002 | 11:17 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Tips for Posting, Searching this forum...

I thought I would start a thread to offer suggestions on how to make threads more interesting/readable/searchable...

1) Use the Subject field more explicitly when titling Threads... How you phrase your subject is the teaser that determines whether anyone reads it. The more information you provide in your Subject line the more likely you will draw members into your thread, to get the help or opinons you want.

For instance, "Need Help picking aftermarket headlight bulbs" is more descriptive than simply titling your thread, "Bulbs?" "Recurring problems with Sedan Memory Seats" is better than, "Not again!"

Use the descriptor "Sedan" or "Coupe" in your Subject line if your thread is to be specific about either one. Coupe owners can then decide whether or not they want to read your thread about a Sedan question (and vice versa). "Speaker sizes for Bose in Coupe, please?" is more descriptive than "Subs?" Or, "Need help installing Audio 10 Radio HU in Coupe," is more descriptive than "HU instructions?"

Not to throw rocks at any posts, but thread's simply titled, "Oh, boy," or "Damn!" or "What's up with this?" or "Huh?" gives members no information about what is in the thread.

2) Detail in a Thread's subject line also makes it easier to Search for topics of interest. Many of the topics on this forum are repeats of earlier discussions. That's not a bad thing at all, since new members joing MBWorld every day, and an old topic to you might be brand new for a new member.

However, it's easier to narrow down search topics if certain key words are used, especially in the Subject line. As you think how to phrase your Thread's Subject Line, imagine how you would go back to find that thread 3-months from now. For instance, if all threads about Lorinser Bodykits had the word "Lorinser" in the thread subject line, future searches for Lorinser kits (or Brabus kits, or Kleeman, etc.) would result in more hits, more information, less un-related info, etc. If your thread's to be about a particular brand of pulley, put that brand name in the thread subject line. You get the idea. You have up to 80 characters available in the Subject line field... use them!

These are just some random thoughts on how to help pass along information more efficiently. I've only scratched the surface. Feel free to add your thoughts and ideas.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-19-2002 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2002 | 08:36 PM

'03 C320 coupe-manual, '07 530i
Not sure this is the place to post my take on the "character" of this forum, but I would like to see a little more civility, less juvenile posturing, and fewer ad hominem attacks. I, for one, am interested in the knowledge transfer afforded here, not in testosterone driven rants.
Old 11-20-2002 | 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I wish someone would post the terms of the MBUSA manufacturer's warrenty. (I'll do it when I have time, unless someone else does it first ) That way, everytime someone asks "will this void my warrenty?" I can cut and paste the warrenty terms as a reply. To me, the terms are very clear. Folks here just don't feel like reading about them in the book.
Old 11-20-2002 | 11:44 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by avlis
I wish someone would post the terms of the MBUSA manufacturer's warrenty. (I'll do it when I have time, unless someone else does it first ) That way, everytime someone asks "will this void my warrenty?" I can cut and paste the warrenty terms as a reply. To me, the terms are very clear. Folks here just don't feel like reading about them in the book.
Good idea... I've even thought it would be nice to post links to owner's manuals, as well.

Wheens, your comment is welcome, too. We constantly try to balance "right" to free speech issues with members invariably pushing the envelope. Thankfully there are only a few here...
Old 11-20-2002 | 11:52 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Yep, Thank God there are only a few of those.
Old 12-10-2002 | 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i've updated the coupe faq slightly. please pm me w/ any comments, questions or requests.

c-class faq https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=14913
c-sportcoupe faq https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&postid=117009