C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

bargaining on an ordered car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bargaining on an ordered car

Hello all,

As many of you probably read in my other posts, I'm looking at the C230 for my next car(leased) when my current lease is up in April. I have to say I've really appreciated all the great input on this forum!

This is only my second car-buying experience(my first car did not go all that well - I got ripped off), and while I've learned a lot since then I'd really appreciate the expertise of the more seasoned forum members here.

Basically, here's my big question: I'm going to be leasing the car in April, however I'll need to order it because I don't want to risk them not having what I want on the lot, especially since I drive a manual and my dealer tends to stock mostly automatics. But I don't want to order the car unless I'm prepared to take it on delivery, which means that I need to know that I'll be getting a good price ahead of time (and this includes a decent leasing deal too). I understand that leasing figures change periodically(I believe quarterly) so they wouldn't be able to give me an exact figure when I order. So what's the best way to work this? Is it common to haggle before the car is even ordered? How?

By the way, what's the lead time been on these cars for other people who have ordered?

Sorry for the long post - but thanks for your input once again...
Old 11-19-2002, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Have them locate one for you. Thats what my dealer did. and he found one for me, except it didnt have Bi Xenons. But i dont know mine is financed i wouldnt know how they would deal with leases
Old 11-19-2002, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I think lease rates change every month and there is no way to know exactly what they will be. So you kind of have to hope for the best. If money is a problem, then you might not want to risk getting this car. If you can afford it, but just want the best deal, you just have to take what you get. You should be able to negotiate on the selling price when you order the car. This is what will affect your lease payments.

As far as the actual car, if they don't have the one you want, they can probably find it, as long as you don't want any unusual options. In April, dealers should have lots of them on the lot. But make sure to go there early to talk with them about how easily they think it will be to find what you want. The sales manager should know if he thinks he can find one, or if you should order. So the sooner you talk to the dealer, the better. You can still wait till the beginning of the year though.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
An ordered car usually takes 6-8 weeks from order placement to delivery... more often the 8 weeks.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, negotiate the price before ordering the car. Get it in writing, both the price and time "window" in which the car will be delivered. Give the dealer a decent window to work with (2-3 weeks leeway), but do get a window, to be sure the dealer isn't just "taking you off the market" with a negotiated price. Most dealers are getting MSRP outside So.Cal, so if the dealer is giving you a "deal" make sure it includes a written delivery window to ensure he performs... Be prepared to offer a (refundable) deposit. $500-$700 is reasonable... $2,000+ is not... Nor is a non-refundable deposit.

I don't do leases, so I don't have info there... sounds like you're at the whims of the market until you can lock in.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-20-2002 at 10:50 AM.