C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

'extra' key button thread... chapter 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 12:58 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by young
c'mon taylor, it's not worth messing up another person's key for this. even if it is the dealer.
Well I have no problems with my dealer... yet... so maybe I'll leave it alone...it'll be a judgement call.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:05 PM
JeT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by taylor192

Most do have a feature to at least unlock and unlatch the hatch/door so that opening it while still having your hands full is somewhat easier. I know I can usually spare a finger to flip the hatch/door up if I had to, but the whole hand to reach under and pul the handle... not always feasible.

Obviously, the feature will be more use to some than others and I can understand the logic of wanting the feature if it is already there...but the incremental effort required to pull the lever is negligible considering that you have to pull the relatively heavy hatch up by the lever (or near it at least) anyway. Also, how many of you would remember to have the key in your hand before actually picking up a two-armed load?

Honestly I don't understand the fuss about having the feature, although I will admit I haven't really had much to carry in the trunk to warrant consideration of the practicality of having it.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:22 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by JeT
Obviously, the feature will be more use to some than others and I can understand the logic of wanting the feature if it is already there...but the incremental effort required to pull the lever is negligible considering that you have to pull the relatively heavy hatch up by the lever (or near it at least) anyway. Also, how many of you would remember to have the key in your hand before actually picking up a two-armed load?

Honestly I don't understand the fuss about having the feature, although I will admit I haven't really had much to carry in the trunk to warrant consideration of the practicality of having it.
Thats the thing, you don't use the hatch, I use it everyday for my gym bag and briefcase. After a few times of using the hatch holding a coffee, bagel, and bag you get used to getting the key out and being prepared to unlock the car, and the unlatch feature would be helpful, and a little better if it popped it up like 1/2 an inch so I could grab the top of the hatch somewhere to open it (I'm tall).
Old 11-22-2002, 06:55 PM

2005 CL65 AMG
I have two 3 button smart keys that I'll sell for $25 each. I was going to get the blades cut to fit my 1994 but I've decide against it. This is what they look like:

Let me know if you want one

Regards,

Don
Old 11-22-2002, 07:13 PM
jlm

black 1994 c280,

I'm there.

jlm
Old 11-22-2002, 07:26 PM
gab

i would like to get one
pls PM me for details

thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 07:29 PM

2005 CL65 AMG
WOW! That was quick!

jLM and Gab,

I sent you both PM's

Regards,

Don
Old 11-22-2002, 07:44 PM

2005 CL65 AMG
One down and one to go! Thanks jlm

Regards,

Don
Old 11-22-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by black 1994 c280
One down and one to go! Thanks jlm

Regards,

Don
I'll happily take the other, if its still available.

Let me know.

Thanks!
-Mark
Old 11-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Almost a Member!

S55 AMG
Originally posted by avlis
Un-freakin-believable.

I tried this at work and my PCB seems to be really stuck in the housing. I'm afraid I'll break it here at work and end up stranded so, I'll wait until I get home.

I think thinning out the plastic material is a good idea. I don't think we'll have to remove much to make a button.
You are not seriously thinking about ruining your key just to have this feature. Thats ludicrous. At least buy another key from ebay then the dealer cannot use the void warranty excuse.

As far as I'm concerned, the feature is uselss and rightly so left out by MB.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by AMG4Me
You are not seriously thinking about ruining your key just to have this feature. Thats ludicrous. At least buy another key from ebay then the dealer cannot use the void warranty excuse.

As far as I'm concerned, the feature is uselss and rightly so left out by MB.
How will the key be ruined by modifying the inside of the plastic case? I've removed and replaced the PCB and the key still functions as it did before. What warrenty will be voided?

As it turns out, I don't have a Dremel bit small enough to get inside the case and the novelty of the feature is wearing off. Next time I'm at the stealer I'll inquire about getting new cases though.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:14 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Three button housing for sale

It's a little worn... kinda smooth. The "N" on the PANIC button is starting to wear off. But it's got the trunk release!
Anyone want it for $10?

bradshaw(at)mtco.com
Old 07-02-2003, 07:26 PM

2005 CL65 AMG
You have mail!
Old 07-02-2003, 08:21 PM

C230 K
has anyone thought of...

getting a custom outer cover done? i think it would be sweet to get a carbon or alu one and put the internals in it. you could have the almighty 3rd button added too. any ideas where it could get made? i wonder if a metal one would interfere with the ignition? any ideas?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
The new Maybach keys are the same shape, but they have chrome trim on them. They look pretty good.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:27 PM

MB C230K
Cool, now all we need is a part number from Maybach and we can swap the innards for an upgrade.

Or does Maybach not have part numbers - if you need anything you call your engineer in Deutschland and have it hand crafted to your specifications?

--S
Old 07-02-2003, 10:51 PM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
Has anyone got this extra key button to open the trunk of a 2003 Coupe? I tried it on my 2003 and absolutely nothing. Took apart the key, the button is there all right. Tried a sedan case with my internals, nothing. Did they turn off this feature like the dyno feature on the 2003's?

Now what I really want is to crack open the sunroof on 100 degree days and leave the shade closed instead of wide open. Seems to let more sun and heat in when both are open than what hot air it lets out.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by breastroker
Now what I really want is to crack open the sunroof on 100 degree days and leave the shade closed instead of wide open. Seems to let more sun and heat in when both are open than what hot air it lets out.
Yeah, I wish I could do that too. I usually leave it closed just so I can keep the shade closed to keep the sun out.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I have a 2003 Coupe built in late December of 2002 and my hatch will pop open with the key. You have to hold it for about 3-4 seconds for it to work and my finger starts to hurt since my plastic is not worn in enough yet. So I have only used it once or twice. I am still wondering why they have the feature there but do not give you the proper case for your keys. They put the button there, the wiring in the car and the latch that will release, but can't put the correct case on the darn key. It makes no sense and since I have a survey sitting at home I suppose I will let MBUSA know what I think of this dumbass move of theres.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:40 PM

2002 c230k
Re: has anyone thought of...

Originally posted by yodlebenz
getting a custom outer cover done? i think it would be sweet to get a carbon or alu one and put the internals in it. you could have the almighty 3rd button added too. any ideas where it could get made? i wonder if a metal one would interfere with the ignition? any ideas?
Metal and rf dont mix!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Following is the response,quoted from this same thread. I won't flame you for not reading through 90+ responses.

Originally posted by Nola
I can't comment on why MB chose not to give us this feature, but I have an educated idea as to why they chose to "hide" it with just changing the faceplate the way they did.

First the key: The unit cost of the plastic casing can only be marginally different whether it has 2 or 3 buttons, so that's not the reason. The "fixed" cost of the tooling for both plastic casings is needed anyway, considering that they already chose not to have the feature. The "fixed" cost of design, engineering, tooling, etc. for another PCB is considerably higher than anything else, even if one of the PCB's is the same but with less parts. You save more by having a single expense in this area than with the potential savings in unit cost (parts, labor, etc.)

So the overall cost of having two keys with the same "insides" would less than that of having two entirely different keys. This is a form of postponement.

A similar thing happens with the opening mechanism: lower overall cost to have one single electro-mechanical part for all cars, than design and tool an electronic one for most cars and a totally different, mechanical one for the coupe (and apparently the wagon).

Bottom line, for some mysterious reason the folks in marketing chose not to give us this feature, and the folks in engineering "hid" it in the most economical way they could think of. Pretty clever if you ask me.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally posted by Nola
Following is the response,quoted from this same thread. I won't flame you for not reading through 90+ responses.
That would explain alot if my coupe did not have the electo-mechanical latch that pops when I depress the button. It makes no sense whatsoever to put all the parts needed in all the vehicles and then pay someone to make a three button case instead of the 4 button case. Unless of course they had a ton of these old three button cases and wanted to get rid of them. It makes no diference to me because the handle is easily accessable for the latch release, but it would be nice to be lazy and hit the button. I mean I have buttons for everything else so why not for this as well.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mctwin2kman
I have a 2003 Coupe built in late December of 2002 and my hatch will pop open with the key. You have to hold it for about 3-4 seconds for it to work and my finger starts to hurt since my plastic is not worn in enough yet. So I have only used it once or twice. I am still wondering why they have the feature there but do not give you the proper case for your keys. They put the button there, the wiring in the car and the latch that will release, but can't put the correct case on the darn key. It makes no sense and since I have a survey sitting at home I suppose I will let MBUSA know what I think of this dumbass move of theres.
Well, maybe they looked at it the same way the looked at the single touch closing for the pano roof and the speed limiting!

From what I understand American Mercedes cars wont go faster than 180Km/h. they dealer can fix this from the computer, but they wont cuz its illegal. Not because the car can’t got over that speed. I always drive my coupe at around 180Km/h. heh, hell… even last week I raced a girl till we reached 190Km/h! (that’s when I said she’s crazy and slowed down a little :P)

And the pano roof… they said they didn’t want to enable it cuz there is no auto stop feature for it. so if some putting his hand or, say, head (lol) out side he head get injured (or maybe dye lol).
That’s why many dealers, as I heard, in the US wont enable it.

Now… about the hatch… I’ve never had or been a hatchback car before until I got this car. and when I opened the hatch for the first time… I had this look on my face
It almost hit the ceiling of the garage! So, imagine ur car is parked inside ur garage at home or some friends house… u press that button and it opens, goes up… and hit the ceiling!

LOL… well, I think that might be the reason :p
Old 07-03-2003, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by hydra
Now… about the hatch… I’ve never had or been a hatchback car before until I got this car. and when I opened the hatch for the first time… I had this look on my face
It almost hit the ceiling of the garage! So, imagine ur car is parked inside ur garage at home or some friends house… u press that button and it opens, goes up… and hit the ceiling!
The button just fires the solenoid that pops the hatch open. The springs aren't strong enough to lift the hatch in the manner the trunk opens. Even with the button you still have to manually open the hatch. My guess the prevention of such damage you describe is the reason why there is no third button and self-opening hatch (since the trunk doesn't lift much higher than the roofline it can open fully without hitting the ceiling).

- BT
Old 07-03-2003, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
i've never understood the want to have that extra button for the coupe. it takes about as much effort to lift the hatch as it does to pull the little handle and lift the hatch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 'extra' key button thread... chapter 3