C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

'extra' key button thread... chapter 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Yeah the one touch close crap and the speed limiter are just an irritation to me. No limiter and of course one touch close would be nice though. My moonroof does close when I hit the recirc button and hold it on the climate control unit, but it would be much nicer if I could just hit the darn button once and the roof closed. This should just be a programming issue and they could have the computer sense the voltage of the moonroof motor so it would stop when the voltage changed somewhat due to the moonroof stopping because it is closed or because something got in the way, that is how I thought the windows and one touch opens operate. But maybe not.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by truelove
it takes about as much effort to lift the hatch as it does to pull the little handle and lift the hatch.
well, actually there is something about it...
I have my car for more than a year now, yet I opened the hatch only twice! First time I got the car, and when I bought my sound system. And in both times my fingers got dirty because of the dust over there!

heh... I know, I know... that sounds silly... but even though the car get washed daily, that place is dust gathering place, and that button might be useful in away!
Old 07-03-2003, 04:49 PM
jlm

I've modified one of my keys, and the best thing I like about it is that you can open the hatch without unlocking anything. And when you shut the hatch it is still locked.

jlm
Old 07-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally posted by mctwin2kman
That would explain alot if my coupe did not have the electo-mechanical latch that pops when I depress the button. It makes no sense whatsoever to put all the parts needed in all the vehicles and then pay someone to make a three button case instead of the 4 button case. Unless of course they had a ton of these old three button cases and wanted to get rid of them. It makes no diference to me because the handle is easily accessable for the latch release, but it would be nice to be lazy and hit the button. I mean I have buttons for everything else so why not for this as well.
OK, I'll make it simple. Overall it's cheaper for MB to have the latch mechanism, than to not have it, because then there is no difference in the assembly line. Cost per unit might be higher, but overall fixed cost is much lower. There is an equilibrium point that probably runs in the millions of units.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
Just doing a little one on one with my 2003 coupe. Tried the sedan key with my gots again. Pushed the button for 3 seconds and low and behold the hatch pops.

There are no springs for the harch, just two "Lift O Mat" charged cylinders, with 5936PF 0460N 315/02 AD07 marked on them. These are probably similiar to whats on many other brands of hatchbacks. Pep Boys and Kragen both sell these units in different lengths. There must be different pressures etc on various models, if we could experiment we could get stronger ones that could lift the hatch a little more.

I am getting a RennTech rear wing that will only add weight to the hatch and make mine harder to lift with the "Lift O Mat"s alone.

Still I will actually use this feature. I use the auto window open feature a lot, been over 100 the last week where I work.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
You may want to stew on upgrading those lifters. It'll take some reading but I imagine you could outbalance the hatch in the positive direction by about a pound and end up having it pop on release!

I remember my coupe had a really heavy hatch that required substantial force to lift up. Now, I have a totally popping trunk!

P
Old 07-04-2003, 01:12 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
As far as the practicality of having the trunk pop using the key is as follows:

I've been in the situation where I walk up to the car carrying stuff with both arms (but I've got the key in my hand), and let's say it's been raining and the ground's wet & nasty, so I either have to put the cargo down to free up one arm to lift the gate, or try to balance it on one leg - awkward, to say the least.

Let me assure you I've longed for the pop-open feature more than once. It's just annoyingly stupid but the point of this has been made:

If MB enables the feature but doesn't increase the spring pressure, the lid will have to be lifted manually, and customers will complain.

On the other hand, if MB does make the hatch swing open, it may hit the garage ceiling and customers will complain.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't....

But I want my BUTTON!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Yeah, I would be interested in stronger lifters too, so it will pop up. I don't park in a garage anyway. And now I use my hatch a lot to store my motorcycle cover in when I am riding. So if I am walking out with helmet and other gear, I can pop the hatch and set all that stuff down first.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:01 PM

'11 BMW 335is
Originally posted by hydra
Well, maybe they looked at it the same way the looked at the single touch closing for the pano roof and the speed limiting!

From what I understand American Mercedes cars wont go faster than 180Km/h. they dealer can fix this from the computer, but they wont cuz its illegal. Not because the car can’t got over that speed. I always drive my coupe at around 180Km/h. heh, hell… even last week I raced a girl till we reached 190Km/h! (that’s when I said she’s crazy and slowed down a little :P)
:p
Not to get off subject but my dad knew a guy that could change miles, service records, and stuff like that. (All "ilegal" of course - And Im not saying that he did) But I cant help but wonder, if the speed limiter could be removed in same way. I think he charged like a couple hundred $ for the "call" but people pay 600 +++ for a mod chip.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Speed limiter is coded in the OBDII software. Seperate computer from most other code - or at least seperate memory area.

It is actually a rev limiter - not a speed limiter. It sez something like max of X RPM in 5th gear or Y RPM in 6th gear of manual.

This is why aftermarket chips/code can remove the limit.

P
Old 07-06-2003, 03:55 PM

'11 BMW 335is
Does that mean that the aftermarket chips WILL remove the speed limiter? Or is it still considered illegal?
Old 07-06-2003, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some chip tuners will remove Vmax for an extra fee, usually several hundred dollars. It is not illegal to do so.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Stronger gas springs wont make the hatch open by itself. The mounting points need to be changed in addition to stronger springs. The springs do nothing until the hatch is opened a few degrees. Stronger springs will just make the hatch fly open once it's past horizontal and also make it harder to close.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:56 PM

MB C230K
Slow hatch

Speaking of hatches, my hatch opens rather slowly. I pop the lid, then need to LIFT the hatch a few inches, then finally it starts rising on its own, slowly.

I notice on the plus side that I don't need to SLAM the hatch shut, I just lower it a little until gravity takes over and the hatch shuts itself.

Is all this normal or should I ask the dealer to replace / adjust the air springs to give the hatch a bit more oomph when opening?

--Steffen
Old 07-07-2003, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: Slow hatch

Originally posted by steffen
Speaking of hatches, my hatch opens rather slowly. I pop the lid, then need to LIFT the hatch a few inches, then finally it starts rising on its own, slowly.

I notice on the plus side that I don't need to SLAM the hatch shut, I just lower it a little until gravity takes over and the hatch shuts itself.

Is all this normal or should I ask the dealer to replace / adjust the air springs to give the hatch a bit more oomph when opening?

--Steffen
Sounds normal to me, except for the closing part. It should take some force from you to get it to shut. Consider yourself lucky and don't let the dealer change anything.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My hatch also closes by gravity when lowered to within a few inches of the sill. I think that is normal.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:06 AM

300E
I tried it on the loaner car. SUPERB....

ALL to PEET....