C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Warranty and Modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Warranty and Modifications

Just wondering, I plan on getting a 230 Coupe and doing some mods but I'm worried about the warranty. Do tuners like Renntech provide warranties on the product? If the MB dealer detects a new exhaust or pulley kit does it void the whole warranty or just certain parts?

Thanks-
Andrew
Old 01-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In order for anything to void the warranty, it must first be determined to have caused the problem. It is highly unlikely that a mod such as exhaust would cause a problem for you.

I've heard that Renntech does not void the warranty, but I don't believe it. Their cars break down far too much. Most companies have at least a 1 yr warranty on their products, some more.

Mods such as a pulley kit could be removed before going to the dealer for any problems. Doing so would make it very hard for them to know that you had a pulley kit.

I can help you with mods if you have any questions.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
My guess is that an exhaust probably won't void the warrenty as it doesn't really effect the motors operation, but if you're car happened to catch fire (perish the thought), I bet they'd blame the exhaust - excess heat, etc. However, if they detect a different pulley I'm sure you'd be screwed if there was any kind of engine failure, as they'd simply point to that being the culprit.

I'll probably just keep my car stock until the warranty expires to avoid any problems. As an aside, I wonder if modifying a leased car in such a manner presents problems when it comes time to return it at the end of the lease? I'm sure there would be complaints about a different exhaust - as these always make more noise than stock.

BT
Old 01-10-2002, 09:52 AM

2001 C240 6spd
hey guys,

What I have been told by one of the guys who works for a MB dealer in Phoenix, installing most aftermarket parts will void the original factory warranty. However, some companies will pick up the warranty and will cover the cost of repairs if that dealer/shop is a certified dealer/installer of those parts. The one dealer in Phoenix is authorized by both Brabus and Renn-tech...so, whatever work they do will be covered by those companies. But, the question is that do you want to take chances of your repairs not being covered?
Old 01-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV but this has been used to dispute OEM claims that any mods void the warranty.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...y/undermag.htm
Old 01-10-2002, 02:46 PM

2001 C240 6spd
brsc32,

Interesting...but reading the Act...it sounds it can go both ways..but again...like you..I am not a lawyer and dont play one on TV....
I guess one takes risks when modifying from OEM....it may be smart to wait until the warranty is expired....you will have to pay one way or the other.....
Old 01-10-2002, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
Basically...the parts voided are the ones affected by the aftermarket part. For instance,my dual exhaust will void everything from the downpipe and on and maybe all exhaust parts aswell, thats if they can prove that my exhaust is to blame for the problem.

Thats why the worst parts to mess with is anything elecrical.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:10 PM

VW GTI GLS (1.8T)
i agree with all the rest, IMHO the dealers don't persay void a warranty, they refuse to service ... which is why different dealers have different policies

an example of their general rule is because you have a exhaust they can't void your warranty for the ABS system

but on the downside if you have a suspension system they can refuse to work on your car because they can say it interfere's with their lifts

the best route to take is to have mods returned to stock if possible before going to the dealer for warranty work (especially true of chips)