C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

icing on the cake - aka key thread chapter 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
didn't you read my post? try it again.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K
ok

ok I understand that you're saying that there is no wire that makes the red LED blinks but I'm asking a new question about where I can find a wire or some sort of thing that I can tap to make a LED blink. Am I missing out? Clear me out pls.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: ok

Originally posted by nevide
ok I understand that you're saying that there is no wire that makes the red LED blinks but I'm asking a new question about where I can find a wire or some sort of thing that I can tap to make a LED blink. Am I missing out? Clear me out pls.
There is no external wire you can tap to. If you butch up the head unit and tap to the LED terminal, that would be the only way, I guess.

BTW, it is really easy to make a standalone blinker. Radio Shack sells kits (LEDs included) one can use for that.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:42 AM

C230 K
hmm

yeah, that was I was thinking but I can't find a way to make the LED blink when I turn off the ignition. If I buy a standalone blinker than I guess I have to have a switch to turn it on and off right? Btw, thanks for replying so quick.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Intriguing (pet peeve)

Watching this thread turn from a discussion about keys....to national pride....to blinking strobes and LED's was a little disheartening.

Please...

I'm not trying to direct this thread or this site. However, if your going to change the subject that radically, maybe posting a new thread is in order. After all, it's concievable that people looking for info on "it's so cool blinking LED/Strobes" may not know to look into a thread about keys.

Conversely, people looking for details about how to get their key functions to work....well, you get the idea.

(just my $0.02 - flame broil that one, Tommy)
Old 11-27-2002, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Thanks Rick

I'm starting to not care as much about the trunk button. I used it a couple times at the grocery store. I still have to grab the handle area to raise the hatch. So while my hand is there anyway, I might as well pull the little handle. If the hatch were to raise half-way on it's own....THAT would be a feature.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Almost a Member!

S55 AMG
Re: Intriguing (pet peeve)

Originally posted by Rick

Watching this thread turn from a discussion about keys....to national pride....to blinking strobes and LED's was a little disheartening.

Please...

I'm not trying to direct this thread or this site. However, if your going to change the subject that radically, maybe posting a new thread is in order. After all, it's concievable that people looking for info on "it's so cool blinking LED/Strobes" may not know to look into a thread about keys.

Conversely, people looking for details about how to get their key functions to work....well, you get the idea.

Well, considering there are 4 elaborate threads on the topic, I think you could excuse a little digression from the subject matter. The other threads appear to have more than enough info in them. Besides, this is certainly not the first thread that has gone a bit off topic. The usual process I have observed for bringing a thread back on point is to contribute on point and people will invariably be drawn back to topic.

Thats my 2 pence worth.

Re: the key - I too was curious with the key and pulled it apart. Mine looks the same inside as the pic posted above. Anyway, curiousty over - do you really think its worth having? The way some of you carry on about it and the excuses you make for needing it its as if Mercedes has robbed you of the spare tyre. Stand there and press it a couple of dozen times before making drastics alterations to your key and you might just find the novelty may run out.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:47 AM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by young
try using a tool that would give you more pressure. i used my keyring.

i want to save my thumb b/c i'm a hand model...
young - your avatar rocks! (pun intended)

It hurts but if you squeeze hard enough and long enough - 2 to 3 seconds - it'll go plop. But only if the car is locked; it doesn't appear to release after you unlock the car. At least I couldn't get it to do that.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by columbus
young - your avatar rocks! (pun intended)

It hurts but if you squeeze hard enough and long enough - 2 to 3 seconds - it'll go plop. But only if the car is locked; it doesn't appear to release after you unlock the car. At least I couldn't get it to do that.
i'm into beatnik right now

actually, i got it to pop whether the car alarm was armed or not. i'll test it again during lunch.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:53 PM

C230 K
woops

Originally posted by Rick

Please...

sorry for that. For some reason I just keep posting on this thread. Maybe it's because of the fast response by vadim. I've made a new thread tho. Once again sorry if I destroy the thread.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by taylor192
I am going to try and press the panic button later today and see what happens. Canadian MBs are not equipped with the alarm system standard... imagine if its really there... just not enabled...
Its not. They would not make it THAT easy.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:36 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by young
actually, i got it to pop whether the car alarm was armed or not. i'll test it again during lunch.
For reference, the sedan trunk pops whether the car is locked or not.