C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What could be the problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 Mercedes Benz & 2006 ML350
What could be the problem?

Well actually, i got into an accident not too long ago....an off duty cop hit me on my rear driver side...the car was still driveable but then it would shake a little.....after i got it repaired which included a wheel alighnment, the same problem was still there....the car was shaking from 35-40 and above 65 mph. I brang it to the dealership, and they rotated my tires and balanced it...after that, the problem was still there....so i went back and they told me i had to get 4 new tires....i never got 4 new tires but then i got brand new rims....the picture below shows the rim i got.....but then i noticed that the tire size they got me was 245/35/19 which was too big....so they had to fold the back fenders and it rubbed in the front when i made a full turn even with spacers.....so basically they had to order me a different size(235/35/19)....so now i have a stock rims back on my car and i noticed that one of the tires is majorly rubbing unevenly...and the other three is rubbing unevenly too but not as bad.....if i was to stand my stock tires up....they would fall to the side or slant.....so i went back to the dealership and they told me to get two new tires so they can do an alignment...with 2 new tires and an alignment, it'll cost me from $300.00 to $400.00....i mean if its jus an alignment, then why wont i jus wait on the rims i already paid $3,400.00 for and get it aligned after because the dealership wouldnt do it with aftermarket rims....but then what what could be the problem of why my tires could be running unvenly.....it cant be a wheel alignment because i got one like back in september.....or could it be the camber...can somone help me....
Old 11-25-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Classic
okay slow down. first off, don't take your car to the dealer. if they haven't fixed it and start charging you go somewhere else. believe me, 90% of the people that work at merc dealerships don't know anymore than how to do an oil change. go to a reputable mechanic and he will fix your problems.
2.) i can guarantee you that your wheels are out of balance. most dealerships have wheel balancers that measure statically, not dynamically. basically dynamic balance is from side to side (wobbles) whreas static is up and down. find a shop that has the Hunter GSP9700 balancer and perform a road force variation test.
3.) order a set of rims that don't need spacers, atleast for the front. use 225/35/19 tires in front and up to 255/35/19 in the rear.
4.) the problem may also be that rims are bent or have run-out (not round). in any case, first take it to a wheel shop any do a static and dynamic balance and road force variation test (Hunter balancer).
5.) are your rims hubcentric? if not get a good set of hubcentric centering rings.
6.) brake problem....bend or out of round.

try this and then post results. most likely its the balance because i had excessive vibrations after 5 times of rebalancing only to find a place with this machine. did the test and "proper" balancing and now its smooth like butter.

now im tired of tyoing so try these suggestions. good luck.